FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is NOTHING available, but I need some Silhouette or True Blue now and have had no luck even on Gunbroker. Any input appreciated. I am backordered on Brownells, but who knows if that will ever come through.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am surprised that even with the majority of calibers of ammunition returning to the shelf on a regular basis, that reloading supplies are still out-of-stock almost everywhere you look. The new Bass Pro Shops opened up here locally recently, and their reloading supplies isle was almost completely empty from the day they opened. They had some odd caliber bullets, but the powder and brass shelves were bare. I am glad that I bought the 16 pounds of Varget a year ago when my LGS had it in. I have not seen it on the shelf there since.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are you trying to load 5.7 and around 40gr? if so do yourself a favor and get some VV n105 and don't look back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Are you trying to load 5.7 and around 40gr? if so do yourself a favor and get some VV n105 and don't look back.
I have some n105, but have not seen any good load data/results from others. I am looking to load up some 32gr and to get higher velocities you would have to compress the load from what I read. If you can recommend a starting load for that powder I would appreciate it.

I am considering loading ss190 pulled bullets and factory load is 6gr of silhouette

·
Administrator
11,396 Posts
I have some n105, but have not seen any good load data/results from others. I am looking to load up some 32gr and to get higher velocities you would have to compress the load from what I read. If you can recommend a starting load for that powder I would appreciate it.

I am considering loading ss190 pulled bullets and factory load is 6gr of silhouette
Where did you get the data the "factory load is 6gr of Silhouette" for the SS190?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was posted on this forum in a thread that describes the different types of factory ammunition. Maybe a sticky. I will look for it.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Ah gotcha... well pretty much filling up the case works on the n105...LOL but seriously I started with 7 grains on the 40 gr loads and it started leveling off gains in velocity as i was getting compressed. Running more COL on the Pistol allows for more powder capacity and more performance. I have not tested in the PS90 to know if you can run more COL than factory, but checking the freebore in my fiveseven allowed me to get a much longer round than the factory col with the hornady 40gr.

·
Administrator
11,396 Posts
I do not know what reloading experience you have but for other interested readers with no experience, a word of caution and this is just MHO.

Wil Baca has always been a source of good information. Wil was a member on this forum long before I was and was working up loads before I even started playing with this round. That being said, it is a big leap going from the assumed Clermont powders to Ramshot powders in the linked post. FN uses proprietary powders and while RamShot makes some powders very like Clermont, they are not identical. Not being identical means that they are NOT THE SAME, have DIFFERENT PROPERTIES, and will BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY. That and the fact that there is no confirmation of the primer manufacturer means that you have two unknowns as far as this load is concerned. While 6gr of Silhouette may be applicable in this case, I would work up a load for myself and not take internet chatter for any more than what it is.

I would start at about 5 grains and go up in increments of .1 gr (yes, POINT 1 grains with a ten round testbed per .1 grain charge increase per platform, ie, three platforms means 30 test rounds per .1 gr charge increase) until I found the sweet spots. My experience with this round and both True Blue and Silhouette indicates that right before you reach max (or exceed the safe load) you will start to flatline as far as velocity is concerned, OR there will be a massive spike in velocity, to much of a spike to consider safe. You may or may not have indications of over pressure. While some primers will flatten or pierce, others will not. I have loaded this round with projectiles from 27 grains to 55 grains and no two are alike, and each will behave differently depending on the platform utilized.

If you do not have a chrony, get one because it will save you from having a very bad day.

Here is an example of how a load can spike in one platform, flatline in another platform, while it will do just fine in a third platform.

Untitled.jpg

The above data is on a 30 grain Berger projectile and the powder used was True Blue. Platforms are identified as the FiveseveN in brown, the PS90SBR in green, and the PS90 in blue. Do not let the additional graph line (black) bother you. It is baseline mathematical formulae that was being tweaked. Looking at the data, you can see that the FiveseveN had quite a pressure spike going from 6.4 to 6.6 grains of powder, the SBR remained with a steady velocity increase, and the PS90 shows a slight decrease in velocity before it started to increase again. You can see how a load that has been tested in the SBR while seeming to operate normally with standard increases in velocity, resulted in the FiveseveN taking a major spike, then dropping substantially in velocity. IE, this round at 6.6 grains is perfectly safe in the SBR however any increase in the charge weight would provide will disastrous results in the FiveseveN. That indicated pressure spike in the FiveseveN and the subsequent drop in velocity means that the max safe limit for this round for the FiveseveN platform has been surpassed while is it still perfectly safe in the SBR and PS90.

So, while 6gr of Silhouette powder may be a proper charge for what you are looking at, you need to start much lower and gradually increase until you find that sweet spot. Constantly look for over pressure signs and keep accurate data while you build your load. But above all, remember that what is safe in one platform can be disastrous in another platform as far as this round in concerned.

Unless you are willing to stake you life on internet data (which you are doing if you take it as confirmed data), make sure you understand the intricacies of this very special round and take the necessary precautions.

This is one of the reasons that I seldom share my data because somewhere out there someone will take a load that is perfectly safe in the SBR and try to load it into the FiveseveN and their gun will go kaboom all the while thinking that I said that it was a safe load.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Also a word of advice not everyone's powder scales are exactly the same on the same day.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HK, thank you for such an informative post! I will make sure to work up and be safe. I always use my trusty F1. I am starting on some n105 loads and will share velocities and load when I have everything ironed out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I do not know what reloading experience you have but for other interested readers with no experience, a word of caution and this is just MHO.

Wil Baca has always been a source of good information. Wil was a member on this forum long before I was and was working up loads before I even started playing with this round. That being said, it is a big leap going from the assumed Clermont powders to Ramshot powders in the linked post. FN uses proprietary powders and while RamShot makes some powders very like Clermont, they are not identical. Not being identical means that they are NOT THE SAME, have DIFFERENT PROPERTIES, and will BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY. That and the fact that there is no confirmation of the primer manufacturer means that you have two unknowns as far as this load is concerned. While 6gr of Silhouette may be applicable in this case, I would work up a load for myself and not take internet chatter for any more than what it is.

I would start at about 5 grains and go up in increments of .1 gr (yes, POINT 1 grains with a ten round testbed per .1 grain charge increase per platform, ie, three platforms means 30 test rounds per .1 gr charge increase) until I found the sweet spots. My experience with this round and both True Blue and Silhouette indicates that right before you reach max (or exceed the safe load) you will start to flatline as far as velocity is concerned, OR there will be a massive spike in velocity, to much of a spike to consider safe. You may or may not have indications of over pressure. While some primers will flatten or pierce, others will not. I have loaded this round with projectiles from 27 grains to 55 grains and no two are alike, and each will behave differently depending on the platform utilized.

If you do not have a chrony, get one because it will save you from having a very bad day.

Here is an example of how a load can spike in one platform, flatline in another platform, while it will do just fine in a third platform.

View attachment 24894

The above data is on a 30 grain Berger projectile and the powder used was True Blue. Platforms are identified as the FiveseveN in brown, the PS90SBR in green, and the PS90 in blue. Do not let the additional graph line (black) bother you. It is baseline mathematical formulae that was being tweaked. Looking at the data, you can see that the FiveseveN had quite a pressure spike going from 6.4 to 6.6 grains of powder, the SBR remained with a steady velocity increase, and the PS90 shows a slight decrease in velocity before it started to increase again. You can see how a load that has been tested in the SBR while seeming to operate normally with standard increases in velocity, resulted in the FiveseveN taking a major spike, then dropping substantially in velocity. IE, this round at 6.6 grains is perfectly safe in the SBR however any increase in the charge weight would provide will disastrous results in the FiveseveN. That indicated pressure spike in the FiveseveN and the subsequent drop in velocity means that the max safe limit for this round for the FiveseveN platform has been surpassed while is it still perfectly safe in the SBR and PS90.

So, while 6gr of Silhouette powder may be a proper charge for what you are looking at, you need to start much lower and gradually increase until you find that sweet spot. Constantly look for over pressure signs and keep accurate data while you build your load. But above all, remember that what is safe in one platform can be disastrous in another platform as far as this round in concerned.

Unless you are willing to stake you life on internet data (which you are doing if you take it as confirmed data), make sure you understand the intricacies of this very special round and take the necessary precautions.

This is one of the reasons that I seldom share my data because somewhere out there someone will take a load that is perfectly safe in the SBR and try to load it into the FiveseveN and their gun will go kaboom all the while thinking that I said that it was a safe load.
What are you calling an unsafe load in the pistol? It looks like you were unlocking the action too soon with the hotter loads because of the lack of mass and spring pressure compared to the PS90 platform. I bet you were probably releasing the action too soon and not getting the full burn and thus the drop in velocity.

·
Administrator
11,396 Posts
What are you calling an unsafe load in the pistol? It looks like you were unlocking the action too soon with the hotter loads because of the lack of mass and spring pressure compared to the PS90 platform. I bet you were probably releasing the action too soon and not getting the full burn and thus the drop in velocity.
You are off base on that. This is a culmination of 10 test rounds per platform per charge. Releasing the action? And how would I go about doing that on a stock firearm, especially on the FiveseveN? I guess the flatened primers were not an indicator that for this specific round the load was too much....

So please explain.....

Oh, I think I get it....modify the firearm to t ake the increased loads by putting a heavier recoil spring in.....

This was one graph of seven with an additional 5 tables of data. Forty years of on and off reloading and I guess that I cant interpret my own collected data....

·
Registered
241 Posts
You are off base on that. This is a culmination of 10 test rounds per platform per charge. Releasing the action? And how would I go about doing that on a stock firearm, especially on the FiveseveN? I guess the flatened primers were not an indicator that for this specific round the load was too much....

So please explain.....

Oh, I think I get it....modify the firearm to t ake the increased loads by putting a heavier recoil spring in.....

This was one graph of seven with an additional 5 tables of data. Forty years of on and off reloading and I guess that I cant interpret my own collected data....
I was saying that the loss in velocity was due to the action unlocking too soon and ejecting the round earlier than optimum because of lack of mass and spring pressure. This would also be evident by the case having a shorter neck when ejected. Were you seeing flattened primers? If you said that i missed it and if so I'm sorry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts