FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone put a drop of oil into the safety disc to eliminate squeak?

I have a FS2000 since March 07. It developed a loud squeak when rotating the safety from safe to fire and vise-versa. I started a thread on the topic in the forum back then. One guy solved his by taking the plastic reciever halves apart and cleaned that area. I'm not so brave so I lived with the squeak. Annoying on a $2000+ rifle to say the least. :cry:

Recently, I bought a PS90. Checked safety for squeak...no probs. It might be my luck :( , but now, it too has developed the annoying squeak, when rotating the safety disc from safe to fire and vise-versa.

I'm still not brave enough to unscrew the bolts in the plastic receivers. On the FS2000, I tried compressed air into the recesses in the underside of the safety disc, to remove any debris to no avail. With the squeak on the PS90, I decided to try oil. I put one drop into each of the two recesses on the underside of the safety disc.

No more squeak.:D So I did it to the FS2000 and now that squeak is gone too. Anyone else oil their safeties as a part of regular maintenance?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I saw that post U were referring to - taking the stock apart - I wouldn't do that either.

I haven't needed to oil mine yet...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Not sure if this applies here, but some oils can damage these plastic parts. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've taken my stock apart several time. cleaned all teh grease out of it, like I do with all my guns. I always store them bone dry. No problems, and no squeaks.

·
Vendor
5,593 Posts
A drop of oil to stop the squeek is fine. but as lowmanjason said...Just make sure that the oil you use is safe for plastic. :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts