FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommend a decent spotting scope? I'd like to be under or around for under a 100$?
i know the sky is the limit, want something that would be used mainly for 100 yards.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I picked up a Celestron 80mm scope for about 150 and me and my ageing eyes are happy with it. The main problem is the tripod, I bought two spotting scope tripods and sent them back, spotting scopes are comparatively heavy and you need to be able to adjust it to be able to sit on different benches and grounds. I gave up and went to ebay and bought a used Velbon El Carmagne 530 Carbon Fiber Tripod for 55 bucks and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I realize it is not what you are asking for ( $100 ) but these are 2 thumbs up.
I posted this a ways back about the Luepy's. They have a 20X for more money but some clarity is lost. Me & my uncle " UB " picked up 2 of these.

these Luepy Spotter's are on sale @ Cabelas for $319.99 .
The 15-45 X 60 is the sharpest ,has very good low light capability, this is a very good deal for the money....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yes, I replied to your PM also. Mine came with a hard case, tri-pod, soft cover / case. That is a good price at $272 ...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well for the sake of anyone else reading the thread - here's another to consider at least: I've been extremely happy with a Konus 20x-60x80mm I got back in the spring. Came with a soft case and tabletop tripod that proved to be pretty nice with fine adjustments that work well despite appearing cheap as all hell. Seems I paid around $170 for it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I can't speak between the 2 but I took my uncles advice and we both bought them from Cabelas many months ago. I took my own experience with Luepold into consideration and my uncles 40 years of being an avid hunter, shooter, sportsman and it was a no - brainer. Other items I have purchased under his counsel are as follows : Ariens snow-blower & a Ferris Zero turn mower. Both were premium purchases, when it comes to buying something that my uncle " UB " is interested in ... I will almost always follow his lead. We used the Cabelas CC card and dbl points to get money off of the sale price , and in the end " you do get what you pay for " I had to listen to his speach about 2K spotting scopes 1st and realized that since I wasn't hunting out west... and looking from mtn range to mtn range I didn't need anything of that caliber. He is the one that knew ( from experience ) the 20X Luepy would have less clarity at certain distances than the 15X due to the power. All of my friends at the club whom looked through the Luepy Ventana were impressed, very good in low light conditions also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts