FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Midway has the SS196/SS197 bullets:
Hornady V-Max, .224" 40 grains

No one has the virgin 5.7x28 brass yet primarily due to OSHA regulations concerning the polymer coating required for proper function in the P90's polymer magazines and for easier extraction.

Primers and powder generally aren't an issue, and neither are bullets. I believe they make Berger JHPs down to 30 grains. Some have experimented with 55 gr or heavier .224" bullets. Right now I just save my spent brass.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was told by one individual to use 22 hornet data and download 1 Grain..
But so far have not been able to confirm this with any published data..
If anyone knows a link to some published Data PLEASE give me a link..

Thanks
smoke

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Five-seveN forums has a good forum on reloading. Note: the 5.7x28 cases are covered in a polymer/lacquer coating (almost the same as the Wolf steel cased ammo). We have long speculated on the exact purpose of this coating, and came up with a few theories:

1). For proper feeding and functioning in the plastic 50rd P90 magazines.
2). For proper extraction when fired out of the P90/PS90. The chamber pressure is rated at 50,000 psi and it is a direct blow-by system, so it's trying to yank out the cartridge with a lot of force being exerted on the chamber walls by the case. FN designs the barrel to recoil back a little (Remtek states 0.030", you can use a feeler gauge to verify the space between the front barrel sleeve and the receiver) to allow extra dwell time. So the lacquer/polymer coating probably liquifies slightly under load and allows easy extraction.

Also keep in mind that many of the 5.7 reloaders are shooting them out of the Five-seveN pistol, which was designed after the P90 and doesn't quite need the lacquer coating for the magazines and it probably has a different action system as well (browning or recoil action).

Re-sizing the cases usually strips off all the lacquer coating, but YMMV.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep! That's a great resource for anyone interested in reloading 5.7x28
I believe Medula Oblangata is planning to help in the release of a reloading manual for the caliber.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
HK Shooter said:
Am selling each 100rd bag of once used brass for $15 + shipping. Let me know. I have right now about 700rds.
Very nice of you to sell your brass to fellow shooters. You may also want to post this under the WTS/WTB forum - that way it may get better exposure. I will leave this thread here as is.

Cheers,

-TH

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 1st post!!!
I'm looking to SBR a PS90 for my TAC-16 and will probably plan on handload ing 55/62 grains to get them sub-sonic, does anyone have experience w/this yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts