FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are we not men?

We are D-EVO (Leupold Dual-Enhanced View Optic)

1x red dot on top
Sight-Picture-440x440.jpg
6x scope on bottom with .223 and .308 bullet drop Christmas tree reticle below

All for about 16 ounces or 1 pound of weight (and around $2k lite-er on your wallet)

A great article about it: Leupold Will Make You Change The Way You Look At Red Dot Optics With Their New D-EVO and LCO - Soldier Systems Daily

James Yeager drools all over it:

Personally I would prefer 8x or 10x to offset my poor eyesight. But for 16 ounces that looks to be very usable, I could see myself living with 1x and 6x.

The real question is will it survive to live a long life on a Scar 17?

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Interesting design for an optic.

Reactions: mityno1

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My biggest complaint is that as a left handed shooter, this thing is on the wrong side for me and will probably be digging into my sternum with most any chest slung carry position. Which is probably why they put it there to get pinged by the ejected brass because +75% of shooters are right handed and they would have the same complaint if it were reversed. I would bet that if it catches on there will eventually be left hand versions and perhaps less expensive ones too.

Still I like it and would like to hear what others think and from anyone running it on a Scar 17.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Leupold had a simulator set up at the NRA show in Nashville. My left handed friend and I had the booth to ourselves for nearly 100 simulated rounds each. We were shooting at prairie dogs. The concept works and would get better with time and more use.

Aquiring the target with the dot and then going to 6x for more precise shots was smooth. The concept will take off. It will be interesting to see what this turnes into. I can envision double barreled optics, or split, that offer the flexibly of the red dot and the precision of a tactical scope.

A heads up red dot that could wrap around a mk6 3-18 would be awesome.

Once you get behind a dual optic system like the devo you'll appreciate it. I don't shoot three gun, but I think that crowd will be all over the Devo.

I'll have a devo on my 16 someday.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Leupold had a simulator set up at the NRA show in Nashville. My left handed friend and I had the booth to ourselves for nearly 100 simulated rounds each. We were shooting at prairie dogs. The concept works and would get better with time and more use.

Aquiring the target with the dot and then going to 6x for more precise shots was smooth. The concept will take off. It will be interesting to see what this turnes into. I can envision double barreled optics, or split, that offer the flexibly of the red dot and the precision of a tactical scope.

A heads up red dot that could wrap around a mk6 3-18 would be awesome.

Once you get behind a dual optic system like the devo you'll appreciate it. I don't shoot three gun, but I think that crowd will be all over the Devo.

I'll have a devo on my 16 someday.
I don't have it on my 17 like this thread is enquiring about, but run on what you stated - - I do have it on an AR for 3 gun and it #%^*& ROCKS! The more you shoot with it the faster you get. The damn thing is as fast as you can think!! Target engagement just jumped up 1, 2, or 3 seconds faster than ever before. I too am a left-handed shooter and for some reason never felt this offset piece of glass bury into my chest. I thought it would but it is no biggy to have it right where it is. Too make it in a left handed version I think would be way too expensive of an endeavor for the company to get a return on investment from the 8 to 11% of the shooters that shoot LH'ed. I might have to try it out on the 17 someday, but for right now it's an AR riding piece of glass.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks lefthanded7!

I have not run across any complaints yet about the D-EVO except, like the Scar, it's price. Although it is still very new.

It is reassuring to hear from a fellow lefty that it does not seem to be a problem for southpaw shooters.

The reason I framed my question the way I did was not to exclude any discussion to the D-EVO in general, but to draw anyone running it on a Scar 17 to the topic. The reason for that is to see if the D-EVO will survive to live a long life on a Scar 17, or will a Scar 17 cause a D-EVO to be sent back to Leupold on a regular basis for repairs? I suspect not, but nothing tells a tale like the personal experiences of others.

If a D-EVO proves to be compatible with the Scar 17's recoil, I believe that at about one pound, it is gram for gram the most optic for the additional weight of any QUALITY optic I have ever seen.

Please let us know if you do get around to running yours on your Scar 17.

Reactions: lefthanded7

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh yea, the combination .223 and .308 Christmas tree BDC recital in the 6x tube would make the D-EVO an easy fully functional swap between one's Scar 17 (or other .308 rifle) and one's AR (or other .223/5.56) picatinny railed rifles. I would bet that more Scar 17 owners also have an AR than those who don't. So being multi-caliber is a big plus in my book.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh yea, the combination .223 and .308 Christmas tree BDC recital in the 6x tube would make the D-EVO an easy fully functional swap between one's Scar 17 (or other .308 rifle) and one's AR (or other .223/5.56) picatinny railed rifles. I would bet that more Scar 17 owners also have an AR than those who don't. So being multi-caliber is a big plus in my book.
Run the numbers in a ballistic calculator, it's impossible to get a "blended" reticle worth a crap. It will suck on lighter 5.56 55 & 62gr) and all .308, if you run 70-77gr 5.56 out of 14.5-16" barrel it will probably work reasonably well.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought it had .223 lines on one side and .308 lines on the other? I could be wrong, i have not seen one in person...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a SCAR 17S yet (saving diligently!), but when I do, I'm currently planning on an Aimpoint Micro T-2 (LaRue mount) and Leopold D-EVO setup. I was considering the Elcan 1.5-6x, but that's REALLY stretching my price range for a non-bolt gun optic, and I and many others already have a few Aimpoints lying around....

If this works as advertised, I actually think the D-EVO with a red dot of the user's choice is a better setup than an Elcan by itself (though in all fairness, I've personally not tried the Elcan or the Leopold). The weight of the Aimpoint (w/mount) together with the D-EVO is under 20 oz, which is a good bit less than the Elcan. It seems to me that it'd be a lot faster to transition from 1x to 6x and back just by moving your eye up or down, rather than having to use the lever on the Elcan.

There are obvious pros and cons: The Elcan is illuminated at either magnification (the D-EVO is not, unfortunately), and you don't have to worry about leaning up against a barrier on your right side while using 6x with the Elcan.....which would obscure the lens of the D-EVO. I'm a little concerned about the ballistic drop compensator on the D-EVO and how it would fare with the SCAR 17, but time will tell whether or not it works decently. However, the pros of the D-EVO.......the speed of being able to use both magnifications at once, the lighter weight, the unconditional lifetime warranty from Leupold (I can't get over the fact that the Elcan has a ONE year warranty!!! Ridiculous!!), and the compatibility with the Aimpoint, which is superior to the 1.5x option on the Elcan......leaves me thinking that this will probably be my next optic.

I can't wait to hear user reviews - hopefully the D-EVO can take the recoil impulse from the SCAR!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I thought it had .223 lines on one side and .308 lines on the other? I could be wrong, i have not seen one in person...
Nope it's a blended reticle. On some reticles, like the Mk6 CMR-W reticle you can sort of compensate if you know your ballistic dope and use a different zero, however you cannot successfully do this on the D-EVO because it is not in line with the bore. It needs to be zeroed at 200 yards.... D-EVO is a neat concept but it has it's drawbacks. An improved generation of D-EVOs, particularly with improved reticles would be very exciting, but in it's current form I'm not sold.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts