FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get involved and have some questions that there website couldnt answer. Like what is a good choice for a firearm to purpose shoot just for the comp? 1911 or sig? and how much ammo does each match usually take? And any other little pointers you can throw in. Thanks :?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Weeeeelllllllllll.....this is coming from an old timer, my IDPA # is A0762.....been shooting since it was first organized.

IDPA was started as a way for people to shoot what they actually carried, not necessarily to have to get a gun just for competition.

It was started by Larry Vickers, Ken Hackathorn, and Bill Wilson (and I know I'm forgetting a couple people, forgive me) as an alternative to IPSC, which had totally gone the way of the game, away from the roots that Col. Jeff Cooper and Ross Seifried and others started IPSC for.

Street guns with street holsters, in (relatively) more realistic scenarios.

I've used M1911's, Beretta 92's, CZ-75's, Glock's, SIG P226's, HK P7M8's and P9S's, S&W 19's, M&P's.

Ultimately, I'd suggest getting into it with what you have and then seeing where you want to go.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I recently competed in an IDPA local match with my HK USP 9 and love my HK even MORE!!!!!!!! Next time I'm going to use my FNP40 and maybe either my dad's Sig P226 or my little bro's G20.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have an fnp 9m that i carry and have no doubt that its up to the task, but i would like to shoot something with a steel frame or aluminum. i was looking at the les baer thunder ranch but it might not be the right choice. seeing as how my next gun will be for carry and for a few IDPA matches, im leaning toward sig or para.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A properly set up 1911 is hard to beat, and they are slim and carry well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The HK 45 is a modern, bombproof service pistol.

If you can carry one concealed, go for it.

Blackhawk and Raven Concealment offer Kydex for them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the hk is almost too long and wide, comfy though, I looked at it today and looked at the sig 226 9mm and its really close but i think im leaning towards the sig. The 226 has the right trigger pull and its really solid, and just as comfortable. Cheaper too!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
For me, I shoot my P99 A/S Walther better than anything else. I think U need to find various guns to rent/borrow/shoot, and see what you like the best. Otherwise, you'll end up with someone else's fav gun maybe...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts