FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new 5 7 pistol today! I have wanted one for years and finally decided to go for it.

I'm thinking about picking up an EFK threaded barrel for my Sparrow. But I was told by the guy who sells the barrels that the O Rings on the Sparrow get chewed and have to be replaced very often, like at the 200 round mark. If that is the case I am totally not interested in using my Sparrow for the 5 7 and will probably skip suppressing this gun. I really don't want to by a dedicated 5.7 can that i can only use on 1 gun.

So Sparrow owners, what is your experience suppressing the 5 7?

·
Registered
470 Posts
The O-rings do get burned up by the heat from supersonic ammo. The solution is to shoot slower or to use subsonic ammo. I am speaking from personal experience. Also, look at Jarvis or Tornado Technologies. They are better quality than EFK.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
If you want the O-rings, get them from McMaster-carr and get packs of 50 for the same price as what they are there (same high-temp viton O-rings)

Reactions: SpikerAdams

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want the O-rings, get them from McMaster-carr and get packs of 50 for the same price as what they are there (same high-temp viton O-rings)
Exactly. I purchased a 100 pack of high temp viton o rings just b/c they are cheap and 'why not' replace them frequently?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow there sure are a million to choose from. Can you possibly tell me exactly which ones to order? Size and what they are for, there are lots of different kinds. Maybe a link? Thanks!

UPDATE:
On the SilencerCo website it said they use #13 and #18 O Rings on the supperssor. So I ordered #13 and #18 Mil Spec O Rings from McMaster-Carr. Hope that is correct. I got 50 of each size for the same price as SilencerCo charges for 4!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Yup, size 13 and 18.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The O-rings do get burned up by the heat from supersonic ammo. The solution is to shoot slower or to use subsonic ammo. I am speaking from personal experience. Also, look at Jarvis or Tornado Technologies. They are better quality than EFK.
Trentofdestiny is spot on. I got the threaded barrel and thought I was going to be good with my Sparrow SS. Wrong...... Suppressor gets super heated with a 20 round mag and starts to get loose on the barrel. I had to let it cool down before I could use my oven mitt to tighten it. Also melted the O-Rings that day. Honestly YES you can use a suppressor but if you plan to shot normally your going to have problems. If you plan to shoot 1-5 rounds and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes then you should be fine. I personally was afraid of damaging my suppressor so I no longer use it on my FiveSeven. And the biggest thing I will mention is that it really doesn't cut down on noise. The sparrow on a .22LR is amazing, the sparrow on a 5.7 round does't really make a noticeable different to me. I still had to wear hearing protecting. IMHO the FiveSeven pistol isn't a pistol to be suppressed. On the other hand my FN P90 SBR with a G5 suppressor works amazingly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Trentofdestiny is spot on. I got the threaded barrel and thought I was going to be good with my Sparrow SS. Wrong...... Suppressor gets super heated with a 20 round mag and starts to get loose on the barrel. I had to let it cool down before I could use my oven mitt to tighten it. Also melted the O-Rings that day. Honestly YES you can use a suppressor but if you plan to shot normally your going to have problems. If you plan to shoot 1-5 rounds and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes then you should be fine. I personally was afraid of damaging my suppressor so I no longer use it on my FiveSeven. And the biggest thing I will mention is that it really doesn't cut down on noise. The sparrow on a .22LR is amazing, the sparrow on a 5.7 round does't really make a noticeable different to me. I still had to wear hearing protecting. IMHO the FiveSeven pistol isn't a pistol to be suppressed. On the other hand my FN P90 SBR with a G5 suppressor works amazingly.
You'd love the sparrow on the 5.7 if you tried subsonic ammo...not that it's easy to find or anything but if you get the chance, I definitely recommend trying a few rounds

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You'd love the sparrow on the 5.7 if you tried subsonic ammo...not that it's easy to find or anything but if you get the chance, I definitely recommend trying a few rounds
What in the world is the point of shooting a 5 7 with subsonic ammo? Might as well just shoot one of my 22lr pistols suppressed. Same speed, same weight. Am I missing something here? I see lots of floks on this forum talking about sub sonic ammo in the 5 7s. I definitely must be missing something.

·
Registered
470 Posts
What in the world is the point of shooting a 5 7 with subsonic ammo? Might as well just shoot one of my 22lr pistols suppressed. Same speed, same weight. Am I missing something here? I see lots of floks on this forum talking about sub sonic ammo in the 5 7s. I definitely must be missing something.
I would guess that its ballistically superior to 22lr (have no proof, just a guess) but it's definitely not the same weight. Subsonic 5.7 usually needs to be 50-55 grains of bullet weight to be subsonic, otherwise they just fly too fast. Mine are also soft points which mushroom upon impact.

In terms of a comparison, it all comes down to the ammo. There are plenty of 5.7 vs 22 mag comparisons, but I'd be interested to see a subsonic 5.7 vs something thread. I'll see if I can dig up any ballistic data for it.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Penetrating soft Kevlar vests quietly?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Penetrating soft Kevlar vests quietly?
The 5.7 round penetrating soft body armor is such BS. A couple specialty rounds could penetrate, but as much as a AR pistol.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
The 5.7 round penetrating soft body armor is such BS. A couple specialty rounds could penetrate, but as much as a AR pistol.
Almost all 5.7 rounds will go through Kevlar. Even the sub round will go through some.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
I have both the efk and the sparrow. They run great with out any issue. The sparrow is great for size, but the specter is just a bit quietier but longer.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Can someone still post the link to the exact o rings to buy? Not sure if I am in right spot on the site
McMaster-Carr

The brown fluoroelastomer and mil-spec are the same as far as I can tell.

*sear viton fluoroelastomer O-ring, select O-ring on the left side and then select either Brown Viton (exactly what comes in the suppressor) or Mil spec

Reactions: Troublesx10
1 - 20 of 22 Posts