FN Herstal Firearms banner

Anyone Suppress Their 5 7 with a Sparrow?

7K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  alpine_56 
#1 ·
I just got my new 5 7 pistol today! I have wanted one for years and finally decided to go for it.

I'm thinking about picking up an EFK threaded barrel for my Sparrow. But I was told by the guy who sells the barrels that the O Rings on the Sparrow get chewed and have to be replaced very often, like at the 200 round mark. If that is the case I am totally not interested in using my Sparrow for the 5 7 and will probably skip suppressing this gun. I really don't want to by a dedicated 5.7 can that i can only use on 1 gun.

So Sparrow owners, what is your experience suppressing the 5 7?

#10 ·
Trentofdestiny is spot on. I got the threaded barrel and thought I was going to be good with my Sparrow SS. Wrong...... Suppressor gets super heated with a 20 round mag and starts to get loose on the barrel. I had to let it cool down before I could use my oven mitt to tighten it. Also melted the O-Rings that day. Honestly YES you can use a suppressor but if you plan to shot normally your going to have problems. If you plan to shoot 1-5 rounds and let it cool down for 10-15 minutes then you should be fine. I personally was afraid of damaging my suppressor so I no longer use it on my FiveSeven. And the biggest thing I will mention is that it really doesn't cut down on noise. The sparrow on a .22LR is amazing, the sparrow on a 5.7 round does't really make a noticeable different to me. I still had to wear hearing protecting. IMHO the FiveSeven pistol isn't a pistol to be suppressed. On the other hand my FN P90 SBR with a G5 suppressor works amazingly.

#8 · (Edited)
Wow there sure are a million to choose from. Can you possibly tell me exactly which ones to order? Size and what they are for, there are lots of different kinds. Maybe a link? Thanks!

UPDATE:
On the SilencerCo website it said they use #13 and #18 O Rings on the supperssor. So I ordered #13 and #18 Mil Spec O Rings from McMaster-Carr. Hope that is correct. I got 50 of each size for the same price as SilencerCo charges for 4!

#21 ·
roaddog…..

I got a SPARROW on the way and wanted to get some stock and adapters I will need…so the O_Ring thing came up….Ha? I got way too much invested time but went through a learning curve on them...
I got your back on this O-Ring thing for the SPARROW.

YOU are looking for the AS568A code designation and 1/16 width
THEN just go down the list for numbers 013 and 018 You then can see all the specs to each O-Ring

I did not see them under mil-spec….if not just go to the regular VITON group..forget mil-spec…..

SilencerCo sent me an email on the specs for them. It took a minute for it to sync to my head but it goes like this:

SILENCERCO SPARROW Email 2-12-2015: They got right back to me on my email to them. Well done SilencerCo!

Thank you for contacting us. The o-rings used is the Sparrow are Viton rubber and Viton o-rings run by sizes, and the two sizes -013 and -018. The -013 o-ring has an ID of .426 +/- .005 and a thickness of .070 +/- .003, and the -018 has an ID .739 +/- .009 and a thickness of .070 +/- .003. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Viton "O" Rings
Takes 4
2 - "Brown" AS568A 013 viton Brown o-ring
2 - "Black" AS568A 018 viton Black o-ring

Option: 1

AS568-013 Brown Fluorocarbon O-Ring | AS013-75FBR FKM / VITON This is for the smaller BROWN 013
AS018-75F | AS568-018 FKM / Fluorocarbon Black O-ring 75 Durometer This is for the larger BLACK 018

NEED TO ORDER A 100 OF EACH TO GET THE BEST PRICE LIKE .08 CENTS AND .11 CENTS PLUS THE SHIPPING WHICH IS I BELIEVE $12 FOR THIS STUFF…..THEY DON'T HAVE A USPS OPTION...

Other places have them but some not in BROWN like silencerCo sells them at $13 for QTY 4
McCaster-Carr did not show anything but BLACK

Option: 2

ebay:

This is a SCUBA Kit and has some different sizes….Thought it would be ok and you ket the box to keep them in and FREE ship…..

This kit did not have the 018 Larger O-Ring….I emailed the guy to ask if he could put some in….have not heard back as of now...

Scuba Nitrox O Ring Kit Viton 12 Sizes 166 PC 90 Duro Lowest Cots on The Web | eBay

Hope this helps……I would be ok to split an order if you or any one is interested 2way or others if interested…20 each will last us

Mike

#22 ·
Thanks for the links for o-rings. I bought 100 each and put new ones in to see how long they last. I've only shot 20 rnds of AE so far and they look new. Can sure does get hot though! I think if you keep the fire slow and give it some time to cool it won't be a problem burning them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.