FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done setting up my wifes range/home defense carbine, a new Beretta Storm CX4, and I must say it turned out great and shoots like a champ!! Best thing about it is my wife LOVES to shoot it and now likes to go to the range with me!! Perhaps this will convince her that it's ok to spend more money on shooting toys.. :x

While setting the beretta up, I put a tri-rail setup in the front and on top, mounted a EOtech, front grip, beretta sling, and a Lasermax Uni-max laser on the front slide-out rail.. such as this rail as pictured (btw, not my gun, I need to get pics of mine!):

A rail slides out from directly under the barrel, and gives it a great mounting point to put the laser at a nice, close distance from the barrel... plus it is lined up vertically so shots at a target would remain in line (up and down with a C5 target) as opposed to throwing rounds left/right at distances that were away from your original sighting in point (IE you sight your weapon in at 50yds and put the laser on the right side rail of your gun, putting your bullet substantially to the right of your target at 5 yds).

Has anyone though of a way to mount a laser, such as the Lasermax, closer than one of the upper rails on the PS90? the Lasermax is pretty compact and could easily be mounted to a small rail anywhere on the gun, or even to a tiny rail that attached to the barrel near where a faux surpressor would be clamped down. I'm not sure I would like something attached to the barrel like that, but if the Faux supressor doesn't create any problems, I doubt the laser would.

Just opening this up for discussion to see what you guys think and see what you've done to add a laser...

:-x

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I have seen it done but it looks hideous IMHO. Nice lookin gun btw :?

·
Registered
857 Posts
On the Cx4 you are better putting a laser on the side rail - it's more stable then the pull out one under the barrel

·
Registered
17 Posts
I briefly experimented with an old shotgun barrel-mount laser but it really kind of the killed the Stargate look. I also plan on SBRing it and there'd be no place to put the barrel mount then. (the fact the barrel rotates would also probably mess up the zero)

It's too bad the LaserEx lasers turned out to be such low quality (at least the airsoft ones), I was planning on an internal laser. Oh well.

You can just have the rail mounted laser zeroed to be parallel to the barrel, and manually compensate for it. You have to do this anyway for the vertical trajectory of the bullet which changes significantly at any distance you'd be using a red laser at.

(link to trajectory plot)

If you zero a rail-mounted laser at 25 yards, I can't imagine you're going to run into that much parallel error at other distances, right? Assuming the laser is even 2" from the barrel, uh... crap, I forgot how to do geometry. Anyway, since it's linear, at 12.5 yards that means it'd be off by 1", and at 50 yards, off by 2".

Consider that the ballistic trajectory of the SS197 round with a 50-yard zero from the PS90 is -2.5" at 12.5 yards, and 1.5" at 25 yards, and you're still going to end up with more vertical error than horizontal.

2" at 50 yards is a 4 MOA error, 1.5" @ 12.5y = 12 MOA. For reference, the circle on the P90 reflex sight is 20 MOA.

Well crap, 12 MOA is a rather large error.

If you have a TR you could always mount a laser to each rail and do it Predator-style? :p

I'm glad I did the math on this... not very interested in a side-rail mount laser now :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts