FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried one of these on their PS90?

http://www.limbsaver.com/products/Firearms/deres.php

The De-Resonator is a 2 ounce rubber thing that slips over your barrel that you can move around until you find a sweet spot. I think it costs about $20. I read about it first on the perfectunion.com Mini-14 section forum. Most folks there and elsewere seem to think it does some good.

My PS90 shoots 1 1/2 five shot groups at 50 yards with SS197 and 1 3/4 groups with SS195LF. This is off a bench using a 2x20 ACOG sight. I'd love to get those groups smaller.

When I get one I'll let you know if it does anything.

I haven't been looking at these forums a lot. Have there been any accuracy advancements with the '90? Does anyone do accurizing for it? I hoped when I bought it last year that we would find some accuracy improvements. I would think something could be done to tighten the receiver to the stock or maybe O-rings or something to tighten the barrel to the receiver.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I wouldn't do it - as undo/unnatural weight on the barrel can possibly wear/damage the receiver over time. I till have my doubts about the fake cans people put on. I wouldn't do it.

I've gotten 1/2" groups with my Eotech at PS90. That is zero magnification.

It's not easy to do, and I can't do it everytime. But on sandbags, I have done it. Getting used to the trigger is part of it.

·
Banned
328 Posts
What Shipwreck said plus:

1. The outside of the barrel on the ps90 is not the barrel - it's a shroud.
2. The PS90 is not a sniper rifle its a PDW. It's like putting a carbon fiber hood on an F350 for the weight savings.
3. You'll have to put up with a bunch of dildo jokes at the shooting range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Ship! I thought a bit about the weight, more from the standpoint of it messing with the gun's timing. It isn't much weight though and people must be hanging more weight on there with the fake cans. Has anyone reported excessive wear from having a fake can?

If it did get my groups down enough I could put up with the dildo comments :D You have to be pretty thick skinned to have a PS90 or Five-seveN anyway.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I don't think it i a timing issue. This was discussed a lot at the end of 2006 and early 2007. I haven't seen it come up much since. It may just be speculation - but some who have disassembled the PS90 receiver (removed the barrel and such) and reported how it is put together have claimed that undue weight on the barrel while firing over time could cause damage - the barrel could end up with too much play in the receiver over time.

I am just reporting what has been said about it - I have no direct knowledge. But thru past conversations, I just wouldn't do it if it were me.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Another thing to consider - the flash suppressor is larger in diameter than the rest of the barrel. Do those rubber deals have enough stretch to fit over the end but still grip the barrel enough to keep from moving out of place?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd keep a lookout for excessive wear then if it actually does anything and I want to leave it on.

I didn't see one of these in the store, but I did see LimbSaver recoil pads and vibration dampeners for archery. The rubber is very soft, like gel mouse pad soft. Someone on the perfectunion.com forum said you could get one over the front sight of a Mini-14, so it must be pretty pliable.

There are lots of customer reviews at Cabela's:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0033309227667a.shtml

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, the wear is inside of the receiver - you won't be able to see it.

Keeping in mind this is a bullpup with a heavy trigger - you won't get sub MOA groups.

The issue isn't the barrel - its the trigger. And that's just the kinda gun it is.

The barrel actually moves inward a bit as the gun is fired (slow motion vids have been posted in the past). Messing with that isn't a good idea.

But, let us know I guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what your saying Ship.

The barrel moving back and forth was what I meant by timing. I assume the rifle was tuned to work with the barrel weight it has and using the De-Resonator would mess with that. How bad that is, I don't know.

What is the average 5 shot accuracy on your PS90? My groups were averaged over 10 or more 5 shot groups. If mine averaged 1/2 at 50 yards I'd be ecstatic.

Is anyone doing trigger jobs on the PS90?

Oh, and tell Sheppard to quit looking at me like that! :D

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
SunsetSam said:
I see what your saying Ship.

The barrel moving back and forth was what I meant by timing. I assume the rifle was tuned to work with the barrel weight it has and using the De-Resonator would mess with that. How bad that is, I don't know.

What is the average 5 shot accuracy on your PS90? My groups were averaged over 10 or more 5 shot groups. If mine averaged 1/2 at 50 yards I'd be ecstatic.

Is anyone doing trigger jobs on the PS90?

Oh, and tell Sheppard to quit looking at me like that! :D
People have claimed to get .5-1.0" groups at 100 yards. I can't do that unmagnified. But, I have gotten 3-5 groups at half an inch to 1 inch at 50 yards with the Eotech. A lot can depend on the wind as well.

Can I do it everytime? No, but some times.

Gun seems to work better once the barrel gets heated up, I've found.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are too fast! I'm going through the accuracy thread now and I see I've asked you that before about your groups.

I like to average over many strings thinking that way I will know what the gun and I are capable of anytime.

It sounds like you have a definate keeper. I wouldn't call mine bad and it may be just me shooting it, but if I can get more accuracy then all the better.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, how U bench the rifle could matter - I use 2 bags, and one actually rests underneath the ejection port.

The size of your dot in your optic can also effect your group size. The EOtech has a 1 MOA dot.

The downsize is that I think my eyes are getting worse - people with certain eye problems can't use the eotech. Lately, at 50 yards, the center 1 MOA dot sometimes takes on an oblong shape for me. I do not know how much longer I'll use the eotech. I have looked thru many eotechs, and this is an issue starting for me.

·
Registered
475 Posts
this carbine is only effective to 150yds maybe a bit further so if i'm shooting two inch groups i'm happy. i'm happy because i'm going to hit my target within the capabilities of the weapon. if the carbine had more range (say 500yds) then i might be concerned what my groups were going to be. love the gun for what it is: a small, compact, light weight, high capacity, ambidextrous, easy to shoot carbine. not because it won't shoot all your shots into one hole at 100yds.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My sister got one of the first PS90s and that sucker was very accurate. One inch groups at a hundred yards were common once we got the trigger weight down a bit. We haven't done that sort of accuracy testing on any other PS90s so I don't know if the accuracy is unique to that 1st generation barrel (it has a different looking flash hider) (and in our case the bore got some bulges after the second thousand rounds).

As for trigger work I've just established a safe way to cut both the trigger weight and length of pull in half. We will be offering this as a custom service in the near future.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Promoted Pawn said:
As for trigger work I've just established a safe way to cut both the trigger weight and length of pull in half. We will be offering this as a custom service in the near future.
:?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts