FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the guys from Eliete (sp?) put a video on YT a while back, but anyone here ever hunt with their PS90? Thinking of trying some ss190 projectiles on a hog.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ummm yes....no....maybe. I heard of someone hunting nuisance ground hogs, wood chucks, raccoons and possums. Can you kill a hog with a 5.7 round? Hell yeah. Search youtube for hunters using .17HMR's to take down hogs. With head shots you can take down hogs with just about any bullet as long as it can penetrate and create over pressure in the skull. I heard of the same someone who was hunting with a buddy and the buddy shot a doe with a 22-250 in the head. Bullet went clean throw. The buddy used his .45 to stop the suffering. Huge mistake! Hollow point .45 ACP mad the skull explode like a watermelon. The rest of the meat was eaten & enjoyed and had a funky story to go with it.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
Not hunting, per se, but SS198 will kill Coyotes quite well. For a hog I think I'd want to be in a tree or have a reliable back up shooter.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Yes Ss198 would be my choice. The ss197 round would be fine too as it is shares similarities of the .17hmr vmax round. Head shots would be the best option, I don't recommend chasing down a wounded angry boar, depending on size. Also, I wouldn't waste those badass 190 rounds on a sorry pig.

Whack em and Stack em!!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Goatman,

The answer to your question is yes! It has been done and reported here in the past. I found the link you want by using the search field in the top right hand corner of the forum and typing in >ps90 hunting< and this link popped up:

http://fnforum.net/forums/hunter-s-den/22510-what-best-57-round-hogs.html

I know the guys from Eliete (sp?) put a video on YT a while back, but anyone here ever hunt with their PS90? Thinking of trying some ss190 projectiles on a hog.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Buckeye, its been a while since I read that thread and forgot all about it.

I was thinking the ss190 projectile would be "better" as it wont fragment like the 197/196 type rounds. I just scored 400 bullets for just over $200 hipped to me and am going to have some of my once fireds reloaded. But I have a couple thousand ss198 rounds I could use as well!

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
it wont fragment like the 197/195 type rounds
The 195 does not fragment. It's the same projectile as the 198 round, it does not fragment either.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fat fingers, "smart" phone....

Reactions: aquaticpig

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Lol Okies man.... Slaughtering an overgrown domesticated hog. That was Babe'a great uncle!!
Beat me to it, I have raised pigs and these guys just killed some hog farmers stud boar that got loose.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
7 Posts
2012-11-10_09-17-18_64.jpg
Was only seeing smaller does back in '12 deer season so I took the PS90 out. I took this 100-120 lbs doe at about 40-50yrds with a neck shot. Dropped it on the spot. SS195LF. Earlier that same morning I passed on a shot at a huge buck at 30yrds due to feeling under gunned.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Beat me to it, I have raised pigs and these guys just killed some hog farmers stud boar that got loose.
Apologize for continuing the hijack, but am I the only one who thinks if you need 7 rounds to kill the animal, maybe you should reconsider your choice of weapon? I wasn't there and have never hunted hogs.. so forgive me if I sound ignorant.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Apologize for continuing the hijack, but am I the only one who thinks if you need 7 rounds to kill the animal, maybe you should reconsider your choice of weapon? I wasn't there and have never hunted hogs.. so forgive me if I sound ignorant.
You don't sound ignorant, I think this guy just wanted to kill a pig with his desert eagle. I'm a 45-70 guy myself. Besides this being someone's 'pet' I don't feel too bad, Pigs 7-10 days out of captivity mentally begin turning back to their wild self.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts