FN Herstal Firearms banner

Anyone using their SCAR 17S as a mountain hunting rifle?

19K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  jaflowers 
#1 ·
I am moving to Colorado. Thinking my 17S would be a great mountain rifle with the compact dimensions and relatively light weight.

Anyone using theirs for this purpose?

#3 · (Edited)
The hog hunt wasn't exactly Colorado mountain hunting. I've thought about using mine out here but I've mostly been elk hunting lately and have been using a bit bigger rifle. For deer and other medium sized game out here I think it would work great. Maybe I'll finally draw a tag this year and get to try it out. Where are you moving to out here? I'm in the Springs.

#5 · (Edited)
I hunt with my Scar 17 in the mountains of southeast TN every year. It's not CO but Big Frog mountain which we have climbed several times does have a 4200ft elevation. The fact that we frequently hike 5+ miles a day with a few thousand feet of elevation change, with rifles and packs full of gear, is what led me to purchase the Scar 17 in the first place. This isn't a fat man hunt and can be quite physically demanding. I have hiked around Mount Rainier national park and the terrain/elevation changes are not all that different from what we work though in the Great Smoky Mountains, just a lot more ground cover in the Smokies.

Having a lightweight, compact, semi-auto .308 is perfect for these conditions since we are frequently working through heavy thicket. I have carried conventional bolt guns in this terrain and the Scar is hands down better to carry due to its size and weight. The ergonomics also make it easier to get a good sight picture through the scope when in awkward shooting positions. Such as when the game comes in above and behind you in the area you least expected, and you have to get off a shot without disturbing the game by getting up and moving.

This is also black bear country and a protected area where they can't be hunted, so they aren't as skittish to humans as they should be. In fact we have more face to face run-ins with curious or feisty bears than anything else in this area. So another case where having a fast to shoulder semi-auto .308 with 10 rounds at the ready with just a trigger pull is comforting (in the rare event it was needed for personal protection) when comparing with a traditional bolt gun and the time to reload for another shot.

#6 ·
Depends on what you are going after and how competent you are with making an ethical shot. If you are talking about elk hunting the average American bull can get up to 750lbs that's a very big animal to be taking with a 16" .308 at distance. I've always taken my custom 22" .300 win mag it is right under 9.5 lbs with optic.

#14 ·
My 300 is a model 75 and weighs in at 10.5 pounds with scope, probably 11.5 with ammo and sling. Dressing an elk is like dressing a big deer, really helps to have a second person. I hunt about 4-5 hours away north west.
I think the SCAR would work fine on elk close range but I prefer a longer range, higher power cartridge. Saw lots of elk this year, most were over 400 yards out. I love the 308 but I want a more flat shooting/high power round for long range big game.

#12 ·
Yes, that's why I bought mine, for deer and elk here in North Idaho. You have more than enough wallop in a heavy for elk. I have hunted elk for years with my .270 and cannot wait to get my first one with my 17s. I am sighting in this week with 168gr and 165gr to start, however you will probably get relegate your other guns to the safe after you enjoy the ergonomics and comfort of the SCAR, which is my game plan.

#13 ·
Mule Deer inside 250 yards would be the max I would try with a 16" 308 and only if you are a competent shooter. Don't let your ego come into this, picking a flat shooting, hard hitting caliber with a good BC makes the job a lot easier and given the choice I would only hunt at Colorado/New Mexico type ranges with my SCAR just to prove to myself that it's viable but the rest of the time I'll stick with my 7mm Magnum.

#16 ·
I took my SCAR out hunting up near Meeker, CO last year and it worked like a charm on the whitetail buck I found. Like some of the others have said, elk are another matter - much bigger and generally longer shots. I tend to use my Weatherby 7mm Mag for elk since it shoots flat and retains plenty of energy well past any shot I'm willing to take in my old age. I tamed the recoil with a muzzle brake. I won't say it's a pleasure to shoot now, but it's WAY better than it was before I put the brake on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.