FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my LGS last week where I do my NFA items purchasing. Were discussing a couple of form 1s I have efiled and pending. Now I pretty much know what the words out of a GS salesman's mouth are worth, but I am going to put out for comment what he said as I admit being pretty ignorant on NFA rules and regs. His statement was that if your are submitting a form 1 to construct a SBR that your are building from a receiver that has never been built and is not registered as a rifle that you do not have to have the receiver engraved. Only if you are converting an existing rifle to a SB configuration does it need engraving. Is he correct?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The -weapon- MUST have the manufacturer's info engraved. Since you are submitting a Form 1, YOU are the manufacturer of the SBR. Your info MUST be engraved on the weapon (not necessarily the receiver), even though the receiver was originally manufactured (and serial numbered) by someone else. The info engraved should be as you listed it on the Form 1, i.e. "17Heavy Smith, Flyovercountry, MO"

The engraving must be on the frame, receiver, or barrel, according to the BATFE. There are specifications for height and depth of the engraving as well.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
That is not true. Though I do know a guy that left that part of the form blank and the atf approved him anyways, go figure it fell threw the cracks somehow. I suppose he has legal grounds now NOT to engrave because his form was approved even though he left that blank.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Total BS, thats why you can only trust yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for the form 4 documents before they are sent to ATF to proof read. If the dealer's good they have will not have a problem letting you proof read.

As to your comment gbosh is correct kinda. You need to engrave your info on the serialized part....AR it would be the lower....Scar it would be the upper. You must also leave the original manufactures engravings as well. The ATF engraving on the barrel isn't a good place, because you can remove it......Let me give an example...say you have a Scar and the 10" barrel is engraved...Ok....But today you want to use the original 16" barrel and leave the 10" at home. The Scar is still registered as a NFA weapon and since you don't have the engravings....well you get it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
They will approve Form1's with blank field 4. It doesn't change in any way the legal requirement for the gun to be engraved.

That's spelled out in ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) which is in effect regardless of what's on the form:

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;
2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;
A)The model;
B)The caliber or gage;
C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);
D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

Edit: oh and FYI the eForms if you look at the completed form once its filed, they actually fill in the the make/model/caliber of the host gun in field 4 as well -- i.e. my field 4 read something like "FN SCAR 16S 5.56mm: PERFORMIFY TRUST Tampa FL" when they actually submitted it, despite me only entering the last part in the box. Just another data point to show that it doesn't matter what's in field 4, the requirement to engrave is separately defined by law not by what's on the form.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
As to your comment gbosh is correct kinda. You need to engrave your info on the serialized part....AR it would be the lower....Scar it would be the upper. You must also leave the original manufactures engravings as well. The ATF engraving on the barrel isn't a good place, because you can remove it......Let me give an example...say you have a Scar and the 10" barrel is engraved...Ok....But today you want to use the original 16" barrel and leave the 10" at home. The Scar is still registered as a NFA weapon and since you don't have the engravings....well you get it.
Negative. No requirement to mark the serialized part. Per the BATFE, the barrel is a perfectly acceptable location. Would I engrave the barrel on an AR based SBR? No, because I want to use multiple short barrel configurations with a registered SBR receiver. On a SCAR, I in fact have my BARREL engraved, specifically so I can return the weapon to a NON-NFA configuration in the event I want to sell it. If I put my 18" barrel back on my SCAR, no one will care whether it's registered as an NFA weapon or not, and they won't have any need to ask for paperwork, since it wouldn't be required. If I decide to sell it, I put the legal barrel back on, write the BATFE asking them to remove it from the NFA registry and go on with my life....

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So while we are on the subject of engraving, after whichever part is engraved, Is it permissible to paint over the bare metal provided it does not fill in to the point of obscuring it?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Must be engraved. I did an SBR AR15 from a reciever only. You are the manufacturer of that configuration, not anyone else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts