FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this video that showcases the two major issues I'm having with my tactical.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=__wzVcjLuoA

I've called FN about the issues and they told me to send it in. Has anyone sent theirs in for these issues and how were the fixes? Did it greatly improve and fix the mag problem or did it hardly make a difference.

I'm debating if it's worth sending it in and being without my baby for 5 weeks

Thanks

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It would be nice if everyone with these problems would post their sn minus the last two digits so we can see if there is a trend with the problems

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just checked my fnx 45 tactical... Never noticed it before, but mine does the same thing. Then again, when reloading who holds onto the mag release? I depress and release. Not sure if this is a problem?

What reason is there to hold onto the mag release even for you ninja quick reloaders? Inserting a new magazine while actively engaging the release is asking for trouble.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I fixed mine myself. No need to send it in. Still, for that kind of money it should be good from the factory….

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm with Eyezon ....... why do you need to hold the magazine release down after you have released the mag????? I just checked and yes my FNX does the same thing as the video, but honestly I find it quite awkward to hold the release down. I just simply press and release the mag release and the mag falls free with no issue at all. I would have never thought about holding the release down. As far as the issue with inserting the mag, again if I purposely put the mag in at a slightly different angle than it naturally goes....then yes the nose gets caught and I have to re-align it.

just for giggles I pulled out my Sig 938 just to see if it exhibited any of these same characteristics. If I hold the mag release down the mag still falls free. However if I attempt to insert the mag tilted as in the video it gets hung up. I did not try my Glock or other sig, but I bet there are other guns that exhibit these same kinds of characteristics.

Bottomline, these two items are not issues in my mind. Certainly not issues that I would send my gun in as i am sure it would come back saying it performs as designed. If you try and insert a mag at an angle that it is not designed to be inserted then you can expect it not to perform correctly. You need to insert it correctly which if you are having trouble doing that then I think I would sit with my gun and mag and practice inserting and removing the mag until I got it down to muscle memory. And as far as the mag not dropping free with the release button held down.....well to me that is just silly....release the button!

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh....but stop trying to find things wrong with a very nice gun....go out and shoot the thing and have fun!

Wayne

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
As far as the issue with inserting the mag, again if I purposely put the mag in at a slightly different angle than it naturally goes....then yes the nose gets caught and I have to re-align it.

Sorry if this seems a bit harsh....but stop trying to find things wrong with a very nice gun....go out and shoot the thing and have fun!

Wayne
I'm with the guys wanting more.
"Think about the wave we'd hear if the 16s or 17s did that stoppage or drop free issue".
There would be hell to pay beyond $2300-2600 in rifle...

Opinions are great, but I have owned more than enough pistols in my ten+ years of buying and none have had the insertion stoppage problem.

Believe me, I love the FNX tac but still ask more of it.
It's smooth and shoots well, but my hands favor the non-issue relations.
It's embarrassing to see my peers handle it after the HK collection, and they lift an eyebrow to the FNXtac picky mag stoppage and barrel blem spot.

hkfnx.jpg

The Sig229, Glock19, Springfield XD40, and RockIsland45 did not hang up when cramming mags...and for sure the keepers (HK45,HKP30), and the new HK45tac definitely do not.

Sorry for the harsh wording, but the man is asking for more...
I know what he is calling for.
I called for them, ...they came...and they are staying.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ordered my FNX .45T from High Plains like in November/ December. However when I got the gun it was actually built in May. My mags would not fall free reliably. I sent it to CIF in Utah to address that and they did some other work. The mags seem to fall free now. I have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I must insert the mags in a way that the FNX approves of, because while shooting the gun initially I never had issue inserting mags. Like I have said before, I don't get why these issues are continuing. These are simple issues to address during manufacturing. Somewhere within FN USA, someone that should give a ****, does not.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A member on a similar FNXtac thread quoted.

"My FNX 45 tactical (and a couple of others that I handled on the same day that I purchased mine) that I purchased in early 2013 does not have an issue no matter what angle that I insert the magazine from".

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts. I know it's a minor issue but I have pistols I've paid less for that are crisp and have a nice clean mag release and insertion. I just thought for the money spent on the FN that this would not be an issue.

I'll probably end up just living with it unless I hear sending it in is really worth it

·
Registered
60 Posts
The fact that this is supposed to be an elite combat handgun, ready and willing to replace the M9 (to say nothing of the money spent), makes this really hard for me to digest.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was curious to hear everyone's thoughts. I know it's a minor issue but I have pistols I've paid less for that are crisp and have a nice clean mag release and insertion. I just thought for the money spent on the FN that this would not be an issue.

I'll probably end up just living with it unless I hear sending it in is really worth it
I agree, for the money I shouldn't have had to do anything to make it function properly. Mine was much worse though. My mags would not drop free at all and sometimes the button would stick.

Really though, it's not a hard fix. Just a few minutes with a file.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree, for the money I shouldn't have had to do anything to make it function properly. Mine was much worse though. My mags would not drop free at all and sometimes the button would stick.

Really though, it's not a hard fix. Just a few minutes with a file.
By filing the mag release, did it let the magazine fall free when released and stop the hang up when inserting into the mag well?

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I watched the video and here's my take, this guy is clueless, you never hold the mag release in, you press it, mag drops, simple. Secondly, you never misalign your mag while inserting, you align it properly then drive it home. Clearly, he has little if any combat/practical experience with a handgun nor much useful knowledge of their mechanics. He's blaming the pistol when in reality he should be addressing his own inadequacies. Buy a weapon then learn how to operate it correctly, practice and develop the necessary muscle memory and skills to effectively shoot the thing. If you're unwilling to do so, stick to gardening but don't denigrate something because you don't understand how to use it.

Reactions: dav6662

·
Registered
26 Posts
I watched the video and here's my take, this guy is clueless, you never hold the mag release in, you press it, mag drops, simple. Secondly, you never misalign your mag while inserting, you align it properly then drive it home. Clearly, he has little if any combat/practical experience with a handgun nor much useful knowledge of their mechanics. He's blaming the pistol when in reality he should be addressing his own inadequacies. Buy a weapon then learn how to operate it correctly, practice and develop the necessary muscle memory and skills to effectively shoot the thing. If you're unwilling to do so, stick to gardening but don't denigrate something because you don't understand how to use it.
IMO it's a design flaw. What other gun do you know of where the mag hangs up if inserted with rearward pressure causing the lip of the magazine to contact the release??? And considering it only happened on one of my mags (also another one if I really tried) and some don't have this problem at all means that it's a design flaw. It is the pistols fault.

Everything you said is way easier said then done especially under duress.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
hypothetical...
The problem is not good for anyone that may have to use it without experience.
I have family members/friends who love shooting the FNXtac on the 4th of July etc., but they have no more experience than a normal non FNX owner.
They carry glocks or other manufacturers etc.

Like I stated before, our Scars do not do that..why accept the exception?

..and yes, I love the FNXtac it just needs some little fixes to fit the norm.

-so, yes I'm clueless too!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
A friend recently purchased an FNX-45 his only issue is sometimes inserting a mag releases the slide, that is NOT an issue it IS a feature. I have a 45Tac on it's way and will know soon if there are any "issues" to report or remedy although I suspect not. If you misalign any mag in any pistol it will impede insertion to one degree or another unless a competition pistol with a modified competition style mag well. As for what I said being easier said than done, understand I have been in gun fights with handguns and wouldn't have prevailed if not for training and lots of practice. Anyone who thinks a certain manufacturer makes a wonder gun that an idiot could shoot perfectly is misguided, there is no such thing. Most supposed "issues" with a particular weapon are usually the result of operator error. There very well could be a minor adjustment required to the mag release I don't know for sure, but anyone who depresses and holds down a mag release is an utter moron and such an action is NOT part of any handgun training I am aware of. Rant out!

IMO it's a design flaw. What other gun do you know of where the mag hangs up if inserted with rearward pressure causing the lip of the magazine to contact the release??? And considering it only happened on one of my mags (also another one if I really tried) and some don't have this problem at all means that it's a design flaw. It is the pistols fault.

Everything you said is way easier said then done especially under duress.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Solution: Do not use anything you are unfamiliar with or not used to, to defend yourself, you'll probably die trying. It is the obligation of any gun owner to know and understand how to properly use their weapons, period. Again, if someone isn't willing to learn the proper use of a chosen firearm, stick to gardening it's much safer.

The problem is not good for anyone that may have to use it without experience.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts