FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger on this back in October. I finally received it this past weekend.

Craftsmanship is excellent. I opted to go with the stainless as opposed to black so I can have it pvd or cerakoted in fde.

The lightening cuts are gargantuous, with that being said they are aesthetically pleasing once you get up close to it.

Taking the optic covers off it show how much more the original slide is cut. I was bummed that Apex didn't adopt the modular optic mounting system. Additionally the Apex slide is only cut for the rmr, as well as the holosun 507/508 optic. I'm wondering if I can drill out the mounting holes and tig weld them back in to start fresh. I'm also thinking about cutting the forward portion out so I can use the FN mounting plate. I say all this because I want to use the DPP as an optic. That's for another time though.

Slide serrations differences

The tactical slide has a more rounded edge, the Apex slide has a 45 degree hard edge on it which makes it look more narrow than it is.

Pulling the barrels off, I noticed the feed ramps are completely different. The Apex barrel is alot more narrow on the ramp, it's also very polished.

This has nothing to do with the longslide but fn made 2 different style tactical mags. The one with the notch I had bought separately at my LGS, the sleeve can come off unlike the more rounded mag that came with the pistol. I just thought this was odd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for adding the comparisons! Are you regretting this purchase since the reveal of the LS edge or no? this is a much cheaper option im sure lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aamike, no I would still have stuck with the Apex, its just unfortunate that they released at the same time with no heads up from fn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey guys, glad you like them so far.

On the optic mount: we tried to get FN to license us their patented mount, but that was a big fat no go. So we opted to go optic specific. The RMR being the most popular, we opted to .are that the foot print at launch. We are likely to offer DPP in the next batch.

Its quite a coincidence that they launched their long LS edge right after we got the first batch of slides rolling, but I figure that there are plenty of FN guys out there that want 5", but don't wanna drop the coin for a whole new gun.

Our feed ramp is narrower, we haven't found a need to widen it and the way we have it now, the chamber gets optimal support.

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flork, I was comparing them closely , I couldn't find my micrometer but it looks like the Apex chamber is a bit more supported because of the narrow feed ramp. Can I shoot 9 major in this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Flork, I was comparing them closely , I couldn't find my micrometer but it looks like the Apex chamber is a bit more supported because of the narrow feed ramp. Can I shoot 9 major in this?
I see no issue shooting major in it. We did a bunch of our testing with Nato spec ammo which is equivalent to +p.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Its quite a coincidence that they launched their long LS edge right after we got the first batch of slides rolling
In the case of the 509 LS EDGE, it had been forecasted for this release date for a pretty long time. Lots of companies plan a release around mid January for a SHOT Show time frame. Without getting into specifics, I would expect a lot more releases before the end of the month from a variety of MFGs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In the case of the 509 LS EDGE, it had been forecasted for this release date for a pretty long time. Lots of companies plan a release around mid January for a SHOT Show time frame. Without getting into specifics, I would expect a lot more releases before the end of the month from a variety of MFGs.
You are most likely correct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts