FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen or heard a comparison between the Apex trigger and FN's new Edge trigger? Likewise, has anyone seen or heard a comparison between the Apex striker and FN's new Edge striker?

·
Registered
36 Posts
How old is the "new" Edge trigger? I bought a 509 Tactical in October and that trigger, as politely as possible, is despicable. Replaced it with the Apex and while it was a bit better, the mechanism still felt like it had beach sand in it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How old is the "new" Edge trigger? I bought a 509 Tactical in October and that trigger, as politely as possible, is despicable. Replaced it with the Apex and while it was a bit better, the mechanism still felt like it had beach sand in it.
I believe FN was showing it off to writers late last year, and it began hitting the shelves this month, but I could be mistaken.

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
The LS Edge hasn't hit the shelves yet AFIAK and it's doubtful they'll offer the trigger separately anytime soon if ever. FN's funny that way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think triggers are so subjective, some of us are just plain numb I guess. My 509T is not the lightest or heaviest trigger I have but it is serviceable for what the gun is. I guess maybe that will all change if I try someones FN with a apex and it is tuned 1911 good. I have not heard it is near that good but is a solid improvement dropping about 1 lb off the trigger weight and giving a shorter pull. There are a few mods or clean ups that you can try first to see if they fix your trigger if it is gritty, I was lucky I guess in that mine is either not bad or I am not as sensitive to trigger grittyness...ess.

One was slightly deburring a bit on the barrel the other seemed to be polishing the striker area (iirc) to allow the spring to slide instead of catch. I have not tried either yet as not a issue for me yet and i expect the round count to help. Maybe it is my I kind of look at striker guns like bull pups the triggers are what they are and i want to be able to shoot them that way if there are easy mods why not but I don't expect great triggers from striker guns that I have shot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think triggers are so subjective, some of us are just plain numb I guess. My 509T is not the lightest or heaviest trigger I have but it is serviceable for what the gun is. I guess maybe that will all change if I try someones FN with a apex and it is tuned 1911 good. I have not heard it is near that good but is a solid improvement dropping about 1 lb off the trigger weight and giving a shorter pull. There are a few mods or clean ups that you can try first to see if they fix your trigger if it is gritty, I was lucky I guess in that mine is either not bad or I am not as sensitive to trigger grittyness...ess.

One was slightly deburring a bit on the barrel the other seemed to be polishing the striker area (iirc) to allow the spring to slide instead of catch. I have not tried either yet as not a issue for me yet and i expect the round count to help. Maybe it is my I kind of look at striker guns like bull pups the triggers are what they are and i want to be able to shoot them that way if there are easy mods why not but I don't expect great triggers from striker guns that I have shot.
I appreciate your perspective, but I'm wondering how the Edge trigger and striker differ from what Apex designed. For all I know they're identical.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
I appreciate your perspective, but I'm wondering how the Edge trigger and striker differ from what Apex designed. For all I know they're identical.
Even from FN's promo material, it is clear that are different. However, I have no idea how they differ. Perhaps someone from APEX, like @Flork, might be able to speak to that. It's worth remembering that the APEX trigger kit isn't just a replacement trigger, but also includes different trigger bar and sear. The APEX striker is also significantly different from the OEM 509 striker. The description of the LS edge series striker as "conical" implies yet another different design. I have no idea how the new "LS Edge" trigger/sear/striker platform performs. I do know from personal experience that installing the APEX parts provided me with a significant enhancement over the factory 509T. The ideal feel of triggers and their action is very subjective. What feels amazing for one shooter might be just "ok" for another, and vice versa. However, I think there is a clear floor on performance: nobody likes a trigger that is overly mushy or gritty or inconsistent. ALl that said, I'd love to hear somebody who has fired both an APEX mod'd 509 and the LS Edge give their perspective!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys, I wrote the following post about the LS edge a few days ago and haven't had an opportunity to post it yet.

A quick add on though. FN did not work with us in any way to make this trigger, striker and slide. I was just as surprised as you guy that they came out with it. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that they would do something like this without consulting their biggest and only supporter in the aftermarket. When we rand the LS Edge on the Trigger Scan in factory configuration, the results were the same as all of the other 509 we have... "Meh". We installed our complete kit into the pistol and the results were the same as we get with all other 509, so there's that.

Here's the post:

Start:
The FN 509 LS Edge, here’s what you need to know.
You’ve all seen the videos and promotional material, so I see no need to go over the features of the factory Edge LS, if you’re looking for a feature layout, I’ll refer you to the FN web site.
I think you’re really here to hear about how it compares to the Apex 5” slide, so that’s what I’m going to cover.

The slide
Length - Yep, it’s a 5 inch. All joking aside, the overall lengths are pretty similar. Let’s face it, if you’re making a 5 inch to fit a specific frame, the overall length will be pretty close. I haven’t taken my set of Mitutoyo 12” calipers to it, but they’re the same size for all intents and purposes.

Weight - I’ve had a lot of questions about a weight comparison, questions which I couldn’t answer until I had their slide in hand. Now that I do, I can answer that. When weighed, the Apex slide is about an ounce lighter than the FN slide. All in all, not enough difference to worry about.

Holster Fit – I have three holsters on hand from 4 Bros Holsters that fit the Apex slide, they fit the FN 509 LS Edge slide perfectly. I also have a Comp-Tac International Holster and that fits them both perfectly, though the muzzles stick out and there is a slight risk of the front sight snagging on the end of the holster.

The Striker – Yes, the Apex Heavy Duty Striker for the FN 509 fits and functions in the LS Edge. Install and function are the same.

The Extractor – Yes, the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for the FN 509 series pistols fits and functions in the LS Edge.

The Barrel – With the release of our 5 inch slide for the FN 509, we designed and manufactured our own barrels to accompany them. We offer a non-threaded version and an extended/threaded version threaded ½-28”. And yes our 5” barrels fit and functions in the LS Edge. The accuracy of our barrel vs factory is identical for all intents and purposes.

The Frame
You’re likely wondering if the Apex triggers for the FN 509 work in the LS Edge, and the simple answer is yes. When installed, the trigger does the exact same thing as it does in the rest of the 509 series pistols. It yields a trigger pull in the 5-5.5lb range with reduced pre-travel and over travel. All factory safety values are maintained.

Disassembly and Reassembly – This new one disassembles and reassembles the same as the rest of the 509 series.
End

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
I can't believe I'm going to have to spend $1400 for a trigger shoe. But hey, it's only money right? Once my LGS has an Edge I'll have to compare but visually it's not looking good for my wallet.

Reactions: Ex-Racer / Ex-Pat

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I wrote the following post about the LS edge a few days ago and haven't had an opportunity to post it yet.

A quick add on though. FN did not work with us in any way to make this trigger, striker and slide. I was just as surprised as you guy that they came out with it. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that they would do something like this without consulting their biggest and only supporter in the aftermarket. When we rand the LS Edge on the Trigger Scan in factory configuration, the results were the same as all of the other 509 we have... "Meh". We installed our complete kit into the pistol and the results were the same as we get with all other 509, so there's that.

Here's the post:

Start:
The FN 509 LS Edge, here’s what you need to know.
You’ve all seen the videos and promotional material, so I see no need to go over the features of the factory Edge LS, if you’re looking for a feature layout, I’ll refer you to the FN web site.
I think you’re really here to hear about how it compares to the Apex 5” slide, so that’s what I’m going to cover.

The slide
Length - Yep, it’s a 5 inch. All joking aside, the overall lengths are pretty similar. Let’s face it, if you’re making a 5 inch to fit a specific frame, the overall length will be pretty close. I haven’t taken my set of Mitutoyo 12” calipers to it, but they’re the same size for all intents and purposes.

Weight - I’ve had a lot of questions about a weight comparison, questions which I couldn’t answer until I had their slide in hand. Now that I do, I can answer that. When weighed, the Apex slide is about an ounce lighter than the FN slide. All in all, not enough difference to worry about.

Holster Fit – I have three holsters on hand from 4 Bros Holsters that fit the Apex slide, they fit the FN 509 LS Edge slide perfectly. I also have a Comp-Tac International Holster and that fits them both perfectly, though the muzzles stick out and there is a slight risk of the front sight snagging on the end of the holster.

The Striker – Yes, the Apex Heavy Duty Striker for the FN 509 fits and functions in the LS Edge. Install and function are the same.

The Extractor – Yes, the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for the FN 509 series pistols fits and functions in the LS Edge.

The Barrel – With the release of our 5 inch slide for the FN 509, we designed and manufactured our own barrels to accompany them. We offer a non-threaded version and an extended/threaded version threaded ½-28”. And yes our 5” barrels fit and functions in the LS Edge. The accuracy of our barrel vs factory is identical for all intents and purposes.

The Frame
You’re likely wondering if the Apex triggers for the FN 509 work in the LS Edge, and the simple answer is yes. When installed, the trigger does the exact same thing as it does in the rest of the 509 series pistols. It yields a trigger pull in the 5-5.5lb range with reduced pre-travel and over travel. All factory safety values are maintained.

Disassembly and Reassembly – This new one disassembles and reassembles the same as the rest of the 509 series.
End
View attachment 139893
Great info. Thank you, but do you have pictures of the trigger group and striker side by side with your parts? Also, do you know if the new FN striker is tooled steel or MIM? Just curious; as previously mentioned they are likely to be like hens teeth, so for those wanting an upgrade, I doubt they will cut into your sales.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great info. Thank you, but do you have pictures of the trigger group and striker side by side with your parts? Also, do you know if the new FN striker is tooled steel or MIM? Just curious; as previously mentioned they are likely to like hens teeth, so for those wanting an upgrade, I doubt they will cut into your sales.
I dont have the pics back yet, but my marketing guy took some last week. The striker is definitely MIM, at least it looks like MIM to me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So are there parts diagrams with part numbers of each to be compared? I do this often with motorcycle to figure out what parts are the same on different models and "upgrades"

·
Registered
45 Posts
So are there parts diagrams with part numbers of each to be compared? I do this often with motorcycle to figure out what parts are the same on different models and "upgrades"
I'm working on getting photos for side by side comparisons.

All of the current Apex parts as they are now fit and function in the new LS Edge. Most of the internals of the LS Edge are the same except for the Striker, trigger body and the Sear Housing Retention Clip.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 509 LS Edge has started showing up in consumer's hands. I've read at least two reviews from actual owners and seen several videos online. Someone on another forum just purchased one and he seems pretty satisfied with his. For comparison, his two 509 Tacticals have Apex triggers installed in them and thousands of rounds through them and he says they break at 5 lb 4 oz to 5 lb 7 oz, while his brand new 509 Edge breaks at 5 lb 8 oz and has very few rounds through it yet. Most say the trigger is good, not 1911 good, but as good or better than most striker fired pistols out there. Both of the owners seem to be very well satisfied with their new 509 LS.

I was a bit disappointed that FN didn't do more to differentiate their new 509 Edge from the rest of the 509 line since it is supposed to be their top competition gun. The more I hear about it the more I think I will probably get one. The only real criticism that I've heard is that most feel the price is a bit too much, but with a street price of around $1300, it's like anything else, it's subjective.

·
Premium Member
8,913 Posts
Is it just their trigger you want?
Yep! Just the trigger shoe actually. I have your curved trigger in my 509 now. Not wanting to sound rude but, I do not like your flat shoe, the hook on the bottom does not appeal to me at all. I know it serves a purpose preventing trigger pinch but still...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The LS Edge hasn't hit the shelves yet AFIAK and it's doubtful they'll offer the trigger separately anytime soon if ever. FN's funny that way.
They are out. My local store has one. Feels GREAT in the hand. Love the new more aggressive stippling. I wish the 509 that.

The trigger.... it’s okay. I handpicked my 509T and I polished the Apex striker and the OEM trigger bar and I now love the trigger. At 50 yards and further I feel that it could be lighter, however. The stock OEM trigger was super crisp (exceptionally so, stock)
And about 6.7 lbs new.

With the MILD polishing of the Apex Striker and trigger bar it’s about 6.2 lbs, super crisp and, to me, perfect for a defensive pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did not like my stock 509T trigger. It was about 7 pounds. I replaced the springs with the Mcarbo spring kit and lightly polished the striker channel and striker and it's now around 5 pounds, and I'm fine with the trigger. I'd like to replace the striker with the Apex model, but hesitate to do so because of the reduced power Mcarbo spring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did not like my stock 509T trigger. It was about 7 pounds. I replaced the springs with the Mcarbo spring kit and lightly polished the striker channel and striker and it's now around 5 pounds, and I'm fine with the trigger. I'd like to replace the striker with the Apex model, but hesitate to do so because of the reduced power Mcarbo spring.
If you're
Curious about the 'new conical' striker. Can you tell what's 'different'?

Thanks
It's all different. It looks like a tube wit protrusions all over it. It's a designed based on MIM capabilities, unlike the older versions that were based on machinable versions.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts