FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
My local store has had one for about a week. Normally I would blindly purchase any new FN product, but I just don't have a need for this one. I just Apex'd the hell out of my 509T and 509TC, this LS may grow on me, but I only have two hands.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Hey guys, I wrote the following post about the LS edge a few days ago and haven't had an opportunity to post it yet.

A quick add on though. FN did not work with us in any way to make this trigger, striker and slide. I was just as surprised as you guy that they came out with it. Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that they would do something like this without consulting their biggest and only supporter in the aftermarket. When we rand the LS Edge on the Trigger Scan in factory configuration, the results were the same as all of the other 509 we have... "Meh". We installed our complete kit into the pistol and the results were the same as we get with all other 509, so there's that.

Here's the post:

Start:
The FN 509 LS Edge, here’s what you need to know.
You’ve all seen the videos and promotional material, so I see no need to go over the features of the factory Edge LS, if you’re looking for a feature layout, I’ll refer you to the FN web site.
I think you’re really here to hear about how it compares to the Apex 5” slide, so that’s what I’m going to cover.

The slide
Length - Yep, it’s a 5 inch. All joking aside, the overall lengths are pretty similar. Let’s face it, if you’re making a 5 inch to fit a specific frame, the overall length will be pretty close. I haven’t taken my set of Mitutoyo 12” calipers to it, but they’re the same size for all intents and purposes.

Weight - I’ve had a lot of questions about a weight comparison, questions which I couldn’t answer until I had their slide in hand. Now that I do, I can answer that. When weighed, the Apex slide is about an ounce lighter than the FN slide. All in all, not enough difference to worry about.

Holster Fit – I have three holsters on hand from 4 Bros Holsters that fit the Apex slide, they fit the FN 509 LS Edge slide perfectly. I also have a Comp-Tac International Holster and that fits them both perfectly, though the muzzles stick out and there is a slight risk of the front sight snagging on the end of the holster.

The Striker – Yes, the Apex Heavy Duty Striker for the FN 509 fits and functions in the LS Edge. Install and function are the same.

The Extractor – Yes, the Apex Failure Resistant Extractor for the FN 509 series pistols fits and functions in the LS Edge.

The Barrel – With the release of our 5 inch slide for the FN 509, we designed and manufactured our own barrels to accompany them. We offer a non-threaded version and an extended/threaded version threaded ½-28”. And yes our 5” barrels fit and functions in the LS Edge. The accuracy of our barrel vs factory is identical for all intents and purposes.

The Frame
You’re likely wondering if the Apex triggers for the FN 509 work in the LS Edge, and the simple answer is yes. When installed, the trigger does the exact same thing as it does in the rest of the 509 series pistols. It yields a trigger pull in the 5-5.5lb range with reduced pre-travel and over travel. All factory safety values are maintained.

Disassembly and Reassembly – This new one disassembles and reassembles the same as the rest of the 509 series.
End
View attachment 139893
Thanks for the super detailed response! And thanks for making great after market parts. Personally, I couldn't be happier with the Apex trigger kit, striker, and extractor! Keep up the good work!

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
It would also be awesome to hear from somebody official at FN about their take on the LS Edge and its components--beyond just the marketing copy. Anybody know of somebody who could do that?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Could the Edge striker presumably be used in the 509?

Reactions: MasterJP

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
I'm guessing FN redesigned and upgraded the old striker. So it should be compatible
Yeah but, it's still a MIM part so I'll stick with my Apex.

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
I have both the LS Edge and a 509 with an Apex trigger and striker. They feel identical! From the grittiness to the travel and reset...there are no discernable differences.
Perfect! Then you won't mind sending me the trigger in your Edge?

• Wow
Reactions: PhynomFN

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have both the LS Edge and a 509 with an Apex trigger and striker. They feel identical! From the grittiness to the travel and reset...there are no discernable differences.
I will get the striker, please. As the trigger is already spoken for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone seen or heard a comparison between the Apex trigger and FN's new Edge trigger? Likewise, has anyone seen or heard a comparison between the Apex striker and FN's new Edge striker?
So, when I saw the price of the Edge I was baffled. I was in the gun shop last week and the owner asked me if I'd seen one yet and put one in my hand. I had just installed the Apex trigger and striker in my 509. Let me tell you, the Edge is a different animal. It doesn't feel like a dressed up 509, it feels much higher quality. The grips are more aggressive, the size is just right, and slide cuts makes it very light. Oh yeah, your trigger question. So it's flat faced, very clean break. There are better triggers out there (HK, Walther) but I couldn't complain. The Apex trigger does have the little slit in the trigger that has to be pressed in to squeeze the trigger - not a big fan of that. I can't remember in the Edge had the same design, but I can say I am a fan of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perfect! Then you won't mind sending me the trigger in your Edge?
Well, I mean, why change it out if feels about the same. I will say there is a little more grittiness with LS Edge in its stock configuration. I so desperately want to turn my 509 into an Apex LS with their new slide! That's all that I'm missing...that and a mag well upgrade.😩 So, with the stock price, the slide, trigger job, a 507C/508C, and Streamlight, and the mag well, I'd be looking at a $2200-$2400 pistol. Is it worth it? Not to get off topic of this thread, but I think it is more than worth it. Highly accurate, ambidextrous controls, reliable, predictable, and just an all around fun gun to shoot. If I had one complaint, it would be the height of the backstrap. When one holds their hand as if they were gripping a pistol, the index and thumb are generally aligned on the top edge; however, when you hold no just the FN, but many guns, the height of the backstrap is higher that the index, causing an unnatural angle of pull from the index. This fails, in my opinion, because the trigger pull occurs not at the top of the trigger, but at the bottom, the tail of frame should be inline with the bottom of the trigger. Anyway, I want the Apex build!

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
This fails, in my opinion, because the trigger pull occurs not at the top of the trigger, but at the bottom, the tail of frame should be inline with the bottom of the trigger.
The correct position and placement of a trigger finger on a trigger shoe should have the finger just below the middle of the shoe never near the top. The whole point of a flat trigger shoe is to provide more mechanical leverage thus less perceived force. No pistol combat shooting training I have received, ever seen or heard of has the finger near the top of a trigger the curvature of most triggers wouldn't even allow that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So, when I saw the price of the Edge I was baffled. I was in the gun shop last week and the owner asked me if I'd seen one yet and put one in my hand. I had just installed the Apex trigger and striker in my 509. Let me tell you, the Edge is a different animal. It doesn't feel like a dressed up 509, it feels much higher quality. The grips are more aggressive, the size is just right, and slide cuts makes it very light. Oh yeah, your trigger question. So it's flat faced, very clean break. There are better triggers out there (HK, Walther) but I couldn't complain. The Apex trigger does have the little slit in the trigger that has to be pressed in to squeeze the trigger - not a big fan of that. I can't remember in the Edge had the same design, but I can say I am a fan of it.
That safety feature gets in the way at times for me. If I don't engage it just right it it sticks and I have to reposition my finger. All in all I'm not a huge fan of the Apex trigger if I'm being honest. I have a 509T in which I installed one and I have a regular 509 that still has the stock trigger. After installing the MCarbo spring kit and heavy duty Apex striker, after polishing the striker cylinder as well as repeated shooting with it the stock trigger has lost all of it's grittiness and is comparable to the pull and feel of the Apex without the safety tab getting in the way and hanging up.

I held an Edge and quickly put it back. If I hadn't I would have bought it. My AR builds took priority. 3 AR's later I'm done building them for myself and will likely look at the Edge again, it sure felt nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The correct position and placement of a trigger finger on a trigger shoe should have the finger just below the middle of the shoe never near the top. The whole point of a flat trigger shoe is to provide more mechanical leverage thus less perceived force. No pistol combat shooting training I have received, ever seen or heard of has the finger near the top of a trigger the curvature of most triggers wouldn't even allow that.
We are saying the same thing...that's why I pointed out that the top of the back strap is not inline with the where the trigger pull should be, which is towards the bottom of the trigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That safety feature gets in the way at times for me. If I don't engage it just right it it sticks and I have to reposition my finger. All in all I'm not a huge fan of the Apex trigger if I'm being honest. I have a 509T in which I installed one and I have a regular 509 that still has the stock trigger. After installing the MCarbo spring kit and heavy duty Apex striker, after polishing the striker cylinder as well as repeated shooting with it the stock trigger has lost all of it's grittiness and is comparable to the pull and feel of the Apex without the safety tab getting in the way and hanging up.

I held an Edge and quickly put it back. If I hadn't I would have bought it. My AR builds took priority. 3 AR's later I'm done building them for myself and will likely look at the Edge again, it sure felt nice.
I like to say different. Not to say the LS Edge is not nice to hold, but it's weird...I have them both, but I should the LS more; however, when I feel the standard 509, again, not that it's better, but it's just different, and in some cases pleasant. I haven't quite narrowed it down yet...

·
Premium Member
8,912 Posts
What will make the Edge feel so much better is to get rid of that ridiculous flat trigger. Since I possess a Federal Flat Trigger Disposal License you will need to send it to me for proper/legal disposal. Since you're a forum member there will be no charge for this service.

Reactions: LOOT and Mjolnir01
21 - 40 of 51 Posts