FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has FN ever considered putting out complete AR 15 rifles or just lower receivers?

Has FN ever considered licensing someone to manufacture FAL's under the FN brand?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
It is my understanding that Colt has licensed FN to make the ARs for the military. However - part of that is that they cannot make civilian Ars...

And, as I stated on 1 other guy's question. Questions answered outside of the official FN Q&A we hold sometimes get answered, and sometimes they do not. FNMan has been busy and hasn't had as much time to come answer other questions lately...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Colt Vs. FN

Colt builds the M4
FN builds the M16A4 (flat top/20" barrel)

Two different government contracts.

FN has plans to bid on a contract to build the M4 also. :shock:

"FN’s stakes in military contracts could grow in the next couple of years.

Next year, the company will compete for a contract to build the Army’s M4 carbine, a deal worth hundreds of millions that could increase FN’s Columbia work force by up to 100 workers, said Jean-Louis Vanderstraeten, FN Manufacturing’s chief executive officer.

The company also could benefit from a brewing controversy over the M4 carbine, a version of the M-16 with a shorter stock that is made by competitor Colt. Some Congressional leaders are critical of the M4. They are pushing the military to consider weapons from other manufacturers, including FN Manufacturing."
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/427724.html

[/url]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: AR 15 Lower Receivers? Licensing name for FAL production

K.O.A.M. said:
Has FN ever considered licensing someone to manufacture FAL's under the FN brand?
According to FNMAN, FN recommends DS Arms for FAL production as they are the closest to the specs of the real-deal.

Edit: 2nd post

·
Registered
22,118 Posts

thirsty said:
K.O.A.M. said:
According to FNMAN, FN recommends DS Arms for FAL production as they are the closest to the specs of the real-deal.

Closest? Ain't good enough, FN or nuttin' :NO:

·
Registered
265 Posts

SONYtec said:
thirsty said:
K.O.A.M. said:

Closest? Ain't good enough, FN or nuttin' :NO:

They are using the blue prints that Steyr got from FN when they were producing the StG-58, and the DSA receivers are forged steel milled on CNC machinery.

The last FN FAL's, the Type 3's, were cast.

Having owned both, as well as Springfield SAR-48's (which were factory Imbels, which were licensed from FN), I'll say that the DSA are every bit as good as the FN's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a FN Herstal Fal 50.00 type 3 cast receivered rifle that is very nice. As Templar stated the DSA models are made from FN prints on Forged recievers on modern CNC machines. DSA is a good or maybe even a little better than the FN due to more modern methods of making them. [ I have a DSA also].

1 - 7 of 7 Posts