FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got a question about this, with the pending changes I am thinking about just registering my remaining guns as SBR's in the event that at some time in the future I would like to SBR them. But have a couple questions:

1. I have been told that you just need to put the minimum barrel length that you will use and if you decide to use longer it is no issue, just notify the ATF if it's a permanent change, is that correct? For example, on my SCAR 17 if I decide to put on the form a 10" barrel but later decided I like a 13" barrel the ATF does not care since 13" is longer than 10", correct?

2. AR-15's, I have a couple AR's, if I decided to register my colt lower with the NFA for a 10" barrel and in the future decide to keep my factory upper stock, but drop a newly purchased 10" upper on it, is that okay? I know the lower is the firearm, so that is what would be engraved, not each upper that I swap out, correct?

3. Now obviously I would be putting 5.56 as the caliber, so I am assuming that makes it illegal to put a .45acp upper on the lower with a 10"+ barrel? I have heard in the past people were able to put "multi" down and it was accepted, but that the NFA cracked down on that and does not allow it anymore. Is that correct?

4. Lastly, has anyone successfully received back an eform1?

Thanks guys! :shock:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
#1 - Correct

#2 - Correct (just a side note...NEVER have a NFA length barrel with your other non-NFA lowers without either a pistol lower or your NFA lower present or you could be charged with Intent to manufacture an illegal SBR)

#3 - You need to list the caliber you have at the time of filing....you can switch calibers back and forth but if it's going to be a perm change just update the ATF just like you do with just barrel lengths.

#4 - Yes... I filed my first E-Form 1 via my firearms trust on August 8th 2013 and received my electronic stamped form 1 on December 10th 2013 (3 months 2 days start to finish!)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mtnsnow, I appreciate it, great info there.

I did have a couple of followup questions on these forms as I compare them to my previously approved form 1's. Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

Just to clarify I am doing this with my LLC and have gone through the form and have not yet clicked on "PAY" or "SIGN & SUBMIT" in the final step, so maybe these questions are answered in there?

1. Section 4 item J - Do I need to mark this as "NO"? If so I have not found where I would be able to do this, does it need to be answered on an eform?

2. Section 8 - I need to input my name and " - Owner", will I be given that option?

3. Section 10 and 11 - When do I answer these questions? Is it part of the "SIGN & SUBMIT" section?

4. Section 13 (Name of Maker) top line - On my previous forms I have entered in my LLC's name in this field will I be given that option or is it not needed?

Sorry for the mundane detail questions but I read that they do not allow corrections on eForm's, only deny and approve, so I dont want to wait 6 months to be denied lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
My pleasure....

1. - the answer is 99.9% of the time NO and not available for you to mark so it will be blank........if it were yes you would already know and have to file a paper form :) lol
2. - that will be auto filled (it pulls your name from your account) (your Eform account is setup in your personal name...correct but lists your LLC or Trust?)
3.- You Don't and don't get the option in E-filing since your doing it as a Trust or LLC (when you get your E-stamp back the included form for that section is blank from the ATF :) )
4.- This is not required as you are filing as an Trust or LLC... it will be auto blanked as the LEO sign off is not needed at this time for Trusts/LLC type submissions...

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

See the attached image on how "My Profile" should look when logged into to the E-forms site that way it will auto populate the correct info where need be..

Attachments

Reactions: s4mur41h4x0r

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info. Thanks again very much I am going to file two forms later this afternoon for a scar17 and 1 of my ar-15's thanks to your help! :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Nice little Christmas present to your self via your LLC :) You are most welcome. Hopefully you will get them back between 90 and 180 days..

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My friend did eform for 3 lowers to register, I can't remember the specifics, but one was denied because he did a simple mistake while completing it. The other two were approved, and they said if it was a paper form they could correct it for him, but since it's an eform, the computer automatically denies it. So I'd recommend , and it sounds like you are, double checking it before you submit it. It seems to be much quicker via eform tho. This was all done in 3 months. He'll have to start the process over again for the one lower that was denied. But eforms seem to be much better.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Nice little Christmas present to your self via your LLC :) You are most welcome. Hopefully you will get them back between 90 and 180 days..
O haven't been keeping up with all the NRA changes. But are form 1s and 4s only taking 90-120 days now instead of 6 months plus?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
E filed form 1's have been much quicker as of late... I personally don't know if the E filed 4's are going any quicker...hopefully they are too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
E filed form 1's have been much quicker as of late... I personally don't know if the E filed 4's are going any quicker...hopefully they are too!

Well hot damn! Might have to send off a form one next week when I pick up my 16. I'd love to have a 10" barrel on it by spring.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry had one last question before submitting, for the "upload" documents, does anyone know if it is just supposed to be the "article of good standing" for LLC's? I believe that is the only thing I submitted with my paper forms in the past, is that correct?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My pleasure....

1. - the answer is 99.9% of the time NO and not available for you to mark so it will be blank........if it were yes you would already know and have to file a paper form :) lol
2. - that will be auto filled (it pulls your name from your account) (your Eform account is setup in your personal name...correct but lists your LLC or Trust?)
3.- You Don't and don't get the option in E-filing since your doing it as a Trust or LLC (when you get your E-stamp back the included form for that section is blank from the ATF :) )
4.- This is not required as you are filing as an Trust or LLC... it will be auto blanked as the LEO sign off is not needed at this time for Trusts/LLC type submissions...

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

See the attached image on how "My Profile" should look when logged into to the E-forms site that way it will auto populate the correct info where need be..
So in the "title" field it wouldn't be the name of my LLC, rather my title of "owner"?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I would assume it would be your LLC's name where as in my picture it listed my trusts name....not me as trustee....

I would submit whatever paperwork from your LLC you submitted in the past via paper form....that worked....if you haven't received a stamp before you can call the ATF branch and have them clarify what docs you need to submit from your LLC....

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope its not the name of the LLC that belongs there...I tried to replicate yours but apparently my LLC name is longer than the "title" box will accept...I called NFA but had to leave a message for an examiner, not sure if I will hear back from them. I have talked to some of them before so hope they will call me back.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I hate to be the barer of maybe bad news but from what I am taking from your last post caused me to look up the last newsletter sent out from the ATF in the PDF it has a section it called
Reminder: How to Identify the Applicant Maker or Transferee on an eForm 1, 4 or 5.
Please keep in mind that we cannot modify a submitted eForm application. So, if there is an error to the name, we can only disapprove the application. When an eForm 1 is submitted by a legal entity or to a legal entity on eForm 4 or 5, only the trust or LLC name should be entered as the applicant (Licensee/Permittee Name field on eForm 1) or as the transferee (Business Name field on eForms 4 or 5).
Do not list the identification of the trustee (for example, John Doe, trustee) as part of the applicant or transferee name. The identification of the entity members will be available in the information attached to document the en- tity. For an eForm 1 application, the submitter can show his/her title as, for example, trustee by going into the My Profile function (eForms home screen) and specifying the specific title in the Title field.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Just to clarify what Section and sub-section are you asking about on the Form 1...

If it is 3b - then it should be your LLC's information

if it is #8 - then that is where your personal name will be listed....(the completed form for me only listed my name but did not show trustee....see the 2nd section of my prior post from the ATF newsletter)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Lastly.....from the ATF E-e-form Newsletter

Name Field Length Limitation Forms 1, 4 and 5
If the trust or corporate name for an eForm 1, 4 or 5 exceeds 50 characters, you will not be able to submit the application. The trust or corporate names are the entries made in the Licensee/Permittee Name on eForm 1 or as the transferee Business Name on eForms 4 or 5.
For example, a trust entitled ‘THE JOHN JAMES DOE AND MARY ANN DOE REVOCABLE LIVING TRUST’ will prevent the submission of the application due to the length of the name. Typically, the form will close when you submit and bring you back to the carousel. You may receive an error message or a message that the application has submitted but it remains in the draft folder.

To preclude this error, an acceptable way to decrease the number of characters is to replace ‘REVOCABLE LIVING’ with ‘RL’ as an acceptable abbreviation for the purposes of the application. Thus, the above cited trust would be shown as ‘THE JOHN JAMES DOE AND MARY ANN DOE RL TRUST’ as the applicant maker or transferee.
Please spell out as much of the trust or LLC name as possible within the 50 character limitation.
Please keep this in mind when submitting the applications.

Only One Firearm on Form 1—Reprinted
eForms was designed for only one firearm to be submitted on a taxpaid Form 1 as a tax stamp is affixed upon approval. We have found that there is a glitch that allows the filing of a Form 1 with more than one firearm. ATF cannot approve the Form 1 application filed with multiple firearms as the system cannot create multiple forms with multiple stamps. We will have to disapprove the application and refund the tax paid. The applicant will need to file again with only one firearm per submission. If you have submitted a Form 1 with more than one firearm, please contact Gary Schaible at (202) 648-7165, so that he can advise you of the procedure to rectify this problem. Our apologies for this and we will look to fix this glitch.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to clarify what Section and sub-section are you asking about on the Form 1...

If it is 3b - then it should be your LLC's information

if it is #8 - then that is where your personal name will be listed....(the completed form for me only listed my name but did not show trustee....see the 2nd section of my prior post from the ATF newsletter)
Yeah it is section 8 that I am looking at for this, in the past I had a paper form returned due to having my name and not the LLC in 3b, so this issue I have only with section 8. For example on my previously approved forms I had "First Last - Owner" in that section.

So it looks like I may be alright then

1 - 20 of 91 Posts