FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never seen or heard of anything similar, bought a AR-7 in 99 or so but the entire barrel,receiver, mags fit into the stock and it will float. Nice gun but I noticed recently the left side of stock has a outward protrusion which came for no apparent reason it is the size of a dime and round almost perfectly and is about 1/4 the thickness of a dime!

There is nothing inside stock which could cause this issue looks like somehow this dime-sized area is after 14 yrs. being pushed out no cracks or anything! It somewhat bothers me and I wonder if there is a procedure to level this area? I know sanding it would weaken the plastic and mess up texture of stock.

Would applying heat from a Clothes Iron with a damp towel underneath it possibly smoothen it out? I do know that on wood I can get gouges and dents out of it as long as there are no cracks in wood!

At first I thought maybe there was a structure inside stock and a support was over time pushing into stock, but inside of stock near protrusion there is nothing!

Sorry but I am not into photography and the only thing I hate worse than taking 1 picture is taking 2 and I don't have access at this time to a good camera.

Thank You and all help is appreciated!

James

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way I could give you my expertise! is to see a picture :lol::-D
Just imagine a plastic stock with a dime sized protrusion which looks like something is pushing it outward after 14 yrs and I haven't used gun in 10 yrs but started recently and the inside of stock is not being compromised by anything pushing against that area!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I wonder if the plastic stock laminated material and at that one spot the adhesive or whatever holds it all together is failing, or was never properly applied to begin with. My guess is that you'd need to replace the entire stock. I don't think once that plastic has stretched and deformed that you'll be able to make it go back to shape. At least that's been my experience with plastics. Is this the survival rifle made by Henry? They may have a parts department you could call to inquire about a replacement.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Just imagine a plastic stock with a dime sized protrusion which looks like something is pushing it outward after 14 yrs and I haven't used gun in 10 yrs but started recently and the inside of stock is not being compromised by anything pushing against that area!
I imagine you'll have to buy a new stock. Give them a call and order one.

Reactions: vz58kid

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's, Lester do u own stock in Numrich:p? They want $104. for the same stock which AR-7 Industries which made the gun sells for 1/2 that price!!!!!!

Fourth Horseman, this is a solid 1 piece hard plastic stock which I don't think is laminate, the area in question does not show any flaking, peeling or anything except the protrusion, I have just never seen or heard of anything like that happ.

I have thought a new stock may be needed since sanding may level stock but mess up the pebble texture and weaken area, applying a warm Iron over a damp towel which works on wood but it may melt the plastic its just weird only shot it 4x in 14 yrs and has been I back of safe since, I do wonder if I put a piece of wood over the area and clamp in place for a while will help?

It doesn't affect anything but just looks weird and I cant figure out why after 14 yrs this happened so I can get a new for $50. and might just do that but I also wonder if applying heat per hairdryer might level it but I doubt it.

Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Any indentations on the inside underneath where it is bulging?
Yes, looks like someone took a finger and pushed it out only prob is it is very hard plastic! Strange thing is in that area the plastic is just as strong as the rest of stock and taking my finger and trying to push it inward does nothing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.