FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the advantage of a stainless barrel vs a Chrome Lined.

If I buy a RRA later this year, I gotta pay to upgrade to a lined barrel. For a couple of bucks more, I could buy a stainless one. I know why people pay for the chrome lining. But how does the stainless compare to that?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I believe the only real advantage of stainless steel over chrome lined is the SS will not rust or pit on the outside where the chrome lined will be just blued or parked and could/will pit or rust over time. As for barrel life it will probably be with in the same ball park I would assume. If you are hunting with it you may want the chrome lined as it will be less likely to give off glints or gleams on your scope or give your location away to prey also. However if you sock your rifle it probably wouldn’t be a problem anyhow.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will just be a range gun. Just curious is the chrome lined was easier to clean than the stainless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just confirmed with a local tactical/training center and weapons sales business.

Chrome lined barrels are more resistant to grit and neglect than chromoly or stainless...however Im told and have experienced chrome lined barrels being the least accurate of the listed types.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For a range gun the stainless is the way to go, it's more accurate to begin with than chrome lined barrels but only slightly shorter barrel life.

As for cleaning, the chrome lined is slighly better but stainless is not bad, most shooters over clean their barrels and wear them out faster that way.

I'm building a SPR rifle with 18" barrel now and I'm going with stainless. :wink:

There's a barrel that are both stainless and chrome lined, a limited run by Noveske Rifeworks and Global Tactical, I'm not sure if they have some more left in stock, they had them sometime last year.

globaltactical.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts