FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a Stag stripped lower that I want to put to use. A buddy bought a few years back and I got one off of him and it's been hidden away until recently. Clearly it's not a super fine lower but I want to build it anyway on a budget. By that I mean, I just want to find the best bang for the buck with an upper, barrel, trigger etc and thought my fellow FN'ers may be able to point me in the right direction. I've got a grip, stock, and some other random parts that I either got for free or next to nothing. Any build lists that you all have sitting around that you'd recommend going with the stag? Never built one before, so it's all new to me, and I don't belong to any other forum (not that I couldn't join one or two). Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Palmetto state armory has some good prices on AR stuff, and often has deal on them as well. Their one piece uppers are good quality and reasonable price. their shipping can be a bit slow at times though.

Reactions: Wy4tt

·
Registered
340 Posts
obviously your best bang-4-your-buck would be a used upper. I've actually never found that building my own upper is cheaper, but then again I was building a custom Noveske rifle. But see what you can find used, even if the finish sucks, get a good deal, and have that bad boy cerakoted prior to assembly.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mactruck, I'll check out their site. And ranger, I'd love to find a good used upper. This is just going to be a beat around rifle and I know a guy here that coats guns. Good idea. I'll be on the lookout. I'd rather go that route than piecing one together.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Just enjoy the process which ever way u go. It can be enjoyable. I'm building a noveske now in the same matter. eBay has parts, palmetto has parts. Both midway and browneles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hey guys I've got a Stag stripped lower that I want to put to use. A buddy bought a few years back and I got one off of him and it's been hidden away until recently. Clearly it's not a super fine lower but I want to build it anyway on a budget. By that I mean, I just want to find the best bang for the buck with an upper, barrel, trigger etc and thought my fellow FN'ers may be able to point me in the right direction. I've got a grip, stock, and some other random parts that I either got for free or next to nothing. Any build lists that you all have sitting around that you'd recommend going with the stag? Never built one before, so it's all new to me, and I don't belong to any other forum (not that I couldn't join one or two). Any thoughts appreciated.
You want budget?
Then there's only 1 place to go.
Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory
see their PTAC line

such as:
PTAC 16" M4 1:7 Upper - Without BCG or CH

of course there are many other options!

Enjoy & Good Luck!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Palmetto runs some great deals on lower parts kits. I got their MOE SSA-E kit last week (Geissele SSA-E trigger) for about $10 more than I could find the trigger alone anywhere else. They got it shipped to me 4 days after I ordered it too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A little while ago I did a "cheap" build. I used a dpms lower and bought a kit from del-ton. No frills, just a 16" carbine. With tax and shipping the totall cost was $625. I tried another one this year, but ended up adding a bunch of do-dads as the upper was built so it was a bit more. Went through psa for my lower, which was a blemished one they had in stock......still waiting on it. I guess they have to build one and then blemish it for me. I guess with all the volume they're experiencing its hard to find time to update the website and I'm sure shipping is a pain w/ all the nickle-dime orders.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Another vote for PSA, I have purchased from them several times. Since I live in South Carolina I pay sales tax unless an order is delivered to another state. PSA is notorious for slow shipping, but they recently moved to larger quarters and added help to their staff. As always, your mileage may vary, but their pricing and quality makes any wait worthwhile. Because of their pricing and service they are not the company you are going to call/email for advice or shipping status, if you want that kind of service, pay more and use another company. I want my dollars to go for quality parts that go bang, nothing else, I like PSA.

Right now there is still enough demand for ARs that completed uppers are easier to find and sometimes less costly than buying individual parts. PSA and others sell complete kits, (minus the lower receiver), at prices that are hard to beat,

I can also recommend Model1 Sales, they have a lot of configurations that are out of stock in other locations.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just checked back in and wow, a lot of good info here. I saw some complete uppers that look decent for my purposes with this rifle. Putting it all together and making it go bang is a different matter!

Thanks again fellas. All good input as I figured you would have. Power to the people!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks arcticzale! I've already got a lower and some other random parts. That is cheap though! I think I'm leaning towards a bcm upper, bcg, and CH. Now I just need to figure out what all I need for the lower. There's a lot of little parts in there!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Now I just need to figure out what all I need for the lower. There's a lot of little parts in there!
What do you have for the lower so far?

If you don't have a pistol grip, I have a new Magpul MOE in FDE and a used Tango Down BG-17 in FDE with paint on it that I'd sell for $15 each.

I really like BCM's Mod 3 pistol grip (and the steeper angle grips). That's why I'm not using those. And I just got a B5 sytems SOPMOD Bravo stock, which is also very nice and a big improvement over the Magpul Moe stock I had on my rifle.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dont have much, just the stripped lower, grip, stock and handguards. But it's enough that when I see the stuff laying there I just want to complete it. Might finish it and sell it for cheap to a buddy who's looking to get into guns (gateway rifle?). Once I've got the build experience I can go piece something together the way I would like to. Of course, it's fun to have a knock around gun that you don't have much money in...

What do you have for the lower so far?

If you don't have a pistol grip, I have a new Magpul MOE in FDE and a used Tango Down BG-17 in FDE with paint on it that I'd sell for $15 each.

I really like BCM's Mod 3 pistol grip (and the steeper angle grips). That's why I'm not using those. And I just got a B5 sytems SOPMOD Bravo stock, which is also very nice and a big improvement over the Magpul Moe stock I had on my rifle.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You said "best bang for your buck" not cheap, smart, you don't want ripped off. Don't sell your foundation cheap, Stag Arms is one of the best forged lowers you can get! You may want to sell this one day, so don't build a mutt, there's a lot of good builds out there so the market is getting tougher. Go for the Stag L.P.K. , I would need a trigger, G., T., may be the T-CON. (your digression) optional. I would go with assembled upper, W/O bolt carrier group, so you can pick up a nice B.C.G. in nickel boron, Ti.Ni. or one of the slippery ones out there for about $140 . The new BMC charging handles are top shelf. IMO, I would defiantly get a 1:7 barreled upper. Hand guard, endless options, I still like a long quad over the gas block (make sure your upper has a mini gas block) if you go that route. BUIS, muzzle devise, sling and then you have "OPTICS". I think guys have given you many good parts sources so have fun. just my .02

1 - 20 of 27 Posts