FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good brands of AR mags to buy, and what are some brands that should be avoided?

Thought this might be helpful to AR newbies like myself...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I say stick to 20 rd clips because of the resting factor. I just bought 5 stoner steel mags from midway for 13.00ea i don't know if there any good since i have not used them yet i don't think i would have got them if i knew they had a plastic follower. i got a discount because of my b-day but i also have a large assortment of clips go to a gun show in the grab boxes stick with a steel clip and follower just stick your finger in it if it has a good resistance your good to go take the one that came with your gun as a reference point for resistance since you know its new.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have quite a few USGI but I have to say I love the HK mags. These are some solid and super functional mags. I have a few buddies that just got back from the sand box and they said they are the only ones they would personally load out with, along with others when outside the wire. They consider the USGI as disposable but the HK's they used worked great and were super reliable in all conditions. I have been in the process of trying to transition to them as well but they are quite expensive. I have some of both the Gen I and II both work great. My buddies gave me some as well from Iraq they seem to all be the Gen II (black follower) for being in combat they are in good shape finish is about 85% little wear but smooth as silk (follower). I will post a pic when I get a chance.

:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
My info about AR mags are mostly the 30 rounds type because they're the most common and my info are from various AR sites, but I will comment on my own experience in my summary.

Good Mags:

HK SA-80

Factory teflon-finished USGI-type mags:
La Belle
General Stamping
D&H
(Made for a number of OEMs such as Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS, Rocky Mountain Arms, Tapco and others.)

USGI aluminum with Mil-Spec moly dry-film lubricant finished mags:
Colt/ NHMTG/ Okay Industries/ Universal Industries - (same company)
C Products LLC
Adventureline/ Center Industries/ Parsons - (same company)
D&H/ General Stamping/ La Belle - (same company)
Sanchez
FN

FN FNC mags (steel)

Sterling AR180 mags (these are combo AR15/ AR18/ AR180 mags in 20/ 30/ 40-round capacity)

British steel SA-80 mags:
Imperial Defense
Royal Ordnance
Radway Green (plastic floorplate)

FedOrd/ PMI steel aftermarket mags

Magpul PMag (new just coming out now - very tough and reliable plastic mags)

Not so good mags:

Thermolds (US made)
Thermolds (CAN made)
Orlites

Don't Waste Your Money:

Eagle
Millet
ProMag
RamLine
Triple K
USA
Victor
Western Metal

All these are aftermarket crap mags, don't waste your money.

Cooper (USGI - some are fine, but many Coopers are out-of-spec and should be avoided)

Summary:

I have a very long time 30+ years experience with Colt alum. 30 rd mags with the old black plastic USGI followers and had never have any problems with them.

In the last couple of years I also got some D&H teflon finished mags from DSG Arms (TX), C Products LLC stainless steel and HK gen 2 mags, they're all pretty good.

Steel or aluminum - if you're a heavy duty and rough on your gear user the steel mags are a better choice, for general use aluminum mags are light and works fine.

20 round mags are better for target or bench shooting because it doesn't hit the ground or top of the bench when shooting.

Followers - I would highly recommend using Magpul enhanced anti tilt followers, even the improved green USGI followers could rarely tilt and cause a jam.

Springs - USGI steel and stainelss steel springs are good but if you want to increase the reliability and life of your mags, use extra power springs like Wolff, etc and chrome silicone springs.

Other good optional accessories are the Magpul regular magpul loops or Magpul Ranger plates placed at the bottom of the mag to make removal of your mags from mag pouches and carriers easier.

There's also the Magpul L-Plate which is a rubber like bottom pad to protect your mags when dropped on hard surfaces.

Tip: Only load your USGI 30 rd mags with 28 rounds so it would be easier to load it in your rifle when your bolt is closed. Other mags like HK, C Products stainless and Magpul new PMag will take 30 rounds and would still be easy to load on a closed bolt.

Ref: http://www.magpul.com/

http://magfaq.tripod.com/

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got a Ramline mag for ****s and giggles. (it was cheap, and looks cool) What a PIECE OF CRAP! I knew it was, but for the money, I had to see for myself. :D :D

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
itstock said:
I got a Ramline mag for ****s and giggles. (it was cheap, and looks cool) What a PIECE OF CRAP! I knew it was, but for the money, I had to see for myself. :D :D
I had a Ramline Glock 17 mag in the 1990s - it was pure and utter crap...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have two of the British steel SA-80 mags. At least I think they are. They are made in England and have the green follower. SO far no problems at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't forget the Beta C-mag (100rds). Everyone needs to buy one now. I bought one just because Nazi Pelozi didn't want me to. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
C Products LLC- I have some of their stainless steel magazines with chrome silicon springs, looped floorplates (That I had to install), and the grey followers that will not twist or nosedive no matter how you push on them. I will be getting more of these magazines. :D

I have a bunch of Orlite magazines that I got in a deal for some other parts. Many of them were cracked or broken, but since I had them, I tried them out anyway. They still worked. They will work even when the feed lips are cracked. If I could ever find them new in wrap(for the right price), I would say that they would be good for the casual shooter. :wink:

PS- the Orlites (The non-borken ones) don't like alternate calibers like 7.62x39 or .50 Beowulf. At all. :x

I haven't tried the CProducts SS magazines with .50 Beowulf yet. :?

·
Registered
395 Posts
OK, I feel like a psuedo-expert in this area... 8)

The H&K 30-rounders are without doubt THE best mags I have seen.
However, they are VERY expensive, and really not worth the extra cost IMHO.

Generally, the USGI 30 or 20 rounders are excellent and have few issues. In over 20 years and LOTS of AR shooting, I've had almost zero probs out of them. These are what I buy in mass quantities. :D

Just picked up a Beta-C mag for an unbelievable price from a buddy raising funds for a purchase. They are highly recommended if you need a 100-round mag.... :?:

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 on the C Products magazine. I have the Al mags with magpul follwers
and CS springs in both twenty and thirty rounds. No issues.

Going to get some Magpul PMags once my local AR area gets more in.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The magpull P-mags are great! As soon as they came into work I got 15 of them and they work great in all the AR-15's.

Just to bad they dont fit in my FS2K or I would replace all my mags with them.

+1 on C-mags :shock:

·
Registered
171 Posts

+1 Magpul PMAGs gen 2 are great, I'm trying some and so far so good

Make sure you guys get the Gen 2 PMAG which are dated 4/07 or later, the earlier Gen 1 version with the 3/07 date markings have some problems with reliability.

My PMAGs which are dated 5/07 also works fine with my Steyr AUG A1 with NATO mag conversion stock.

TPDUSA.com will have a Magpul clear smoke version sometime late next month :shock:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had a beta C-mag. Thing wouldn't work no matter what I did. Sent it back to the factory. Said they cleaned it and tested it and that it was good to go. Next outing, same thing in all types of rifles. Semi and auto. Wouldn't work in a damn thing. At that point it became a novelty. I want stuff around that I can trust my life with. Wound up trading the beta off for a bunch of USGI mags and some cash. Don't regret it one bit. Was at a carbine class when it was pretty hot out. I don't know if the P-mag was swelling or what but the few that were out there didn't seem to be fitting in most lowers very well. Id still like to get some and try them myself.

Heres one for the "Clip" guys.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Cooter said:
Was at a carbine class when it was pretty hot out. I don't know if the P-mag was swelling or what but the few that were out there didn't seem to be fitting in most lowers very well. Id still like to get some and try them myself.
There's no problem with the Magpul PMAGs if it's hot or fully loaded, the problem is it won't fit all brands of AR.

It would only fit ARs with Mil-spec dimensioned magwells like Colt, LMT, Stag Arms, etc.

Some older manufactured PMAG with earlier stamped date of 7/07 either have the older feed lips design or the interior wall of the mag body shrunk and is preventing the followers to slide up freely.

Gen 3 PMAGs made and dated 7/07 or later have non of those early problems I mentioned.

Here's a Magpul PMAG versus a Chevy Truck video link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc

Here's a pic of my new PMAG with window, they're now available from Magpul dealers, it's working fine so far we'll see after I use it with several hundred rounds

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have been running both Labelle and Colt aluminum 30rd'ers with green followers. I have been happy with both, but I slightly prefer the Labelles for the smooth teflon finish.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah, I had some trouble with one of my P-mags when I swam a river, sand got in the mag and kept it from moveing at all, my other mags where ok even the Thermold's.

turns out it was one of the recalled ones and there shipping the new bodys to me this week. :D

I like people that stand behind there product!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The majority of my AR mags are D&H teflon finished mags made from the old Labelle tooling and they work well and I also prefer the smooth and more durable finish than the standard mag finish.

My Colt 30rd mags with black followers are the longest mags that I had used since the mid '80s no problems but the finish is easy to wear out.

I have a couple of the Magpul recalled PMAGs made before 7/07 but they work fine and I'm not going to exchange the bodies, I test them before using them by removing the bottom floorplate and just grab the bottom of the mag spring and slide the followers and springs up and down, if it doesn't bind they should work fine.

If some of you guys have older PMAGs that you would like to exchange the bodies, with problems or without problems Magpul will exchange them with the improved 7/07 made bodies for free, they pay the shipping.

I'm also a loyal Magpul customer because of the company's great customer support, innovative products and continuous improvements.

Here's a link of Magpul's PMAG replacement body exchange program:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=271

·
Registered
73 Posts
I purchased several D&H Teflon finished 30 rd mags with the Magpul khaki gen II followers and they are awesome. Then I went and bought some C-Products black marlube (sp?) mags with orange Magpul followers and I like the finish on the D&H ALLOT more!!! The black marlube finish shows scratches easily and it will be the last order I make of those. As far as function goes, I never had a hiccup out of the D&H and I did have one C-Products mag get hung up about half way loaded and ended up causing FTF problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts