FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a poll over at ktog.org :
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208359228
with hopes that with enough interest, Kel-tec might make a AR gas piston pistol (based on their PLR-16) in 5.7x28mm.
Please vote in it for "YES"
So if everyone can chime in so that "ktwm" (kel-tec rep) sees enough interest that Kel-tec might make the gun.
There have been several ktog.org ideas that have become product because Kel-tec listens to their fans and gives them what they want.
With a little help from you guys, we can have a PLR-57 Gas Piston AR Pistol in 5.7x28mm that looks something like this but takes FiveseveN mags and cost $500 :

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now, I know some of you guys may not want a Kel-tec but please remember to see the BIGGER PICTURE.
If another gun manufacturer adopts a 5.7x28mm platform then others will follow, along with more ammo manufacturers.

It would be easy for Kel-tec to do this since their gas piston PLR platform already handles 5.56NATO and .22LR

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like Kel-tec has maybe slight interest in it now.
So every hit this survey:

https://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/survey/

Kel-tec usually uses their surveys to decide on upcoming SHOT Show projects.

Sounds like they have an interest in a 5.7PDW.

Pay close attention to:
Question #4 "Which of the following products would you most like to see Kel-Tec produce?"
- "A non-folding, non-conventional PDW caliber (5.7x28mm, 4.6x30mm) Bullpup for home defense and pistols for the same

Question #5 "Which PDW or pistol cartidge is your favorite for use in a small, carbine-sized package"
- 5.7x28mm

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since 5.7x28 was mentioned twice in their survey, I would have to assume they are at least thinking about it for 2009 SHOT.

Here is my mockup of what a PLR-57 would look like using a 20 round FN FiveseveN Pistol Magazine.
The magazine is also seated all the way in too.
Now if I can find out where I stored all of my 30 round FiveseveN pistol mags, we can see what that looks like too...

·
Registered
156 Posts
tqtran said:
Now, I know some of you guys may not want a Kel-tec but please remember to see the BIGGER PICTURE.
If another gun manufacturer adopts a 5.7x28mm platform then others will follow, along with more ammo manufacturers.
I understand what you are saying regarding more 5.7 platforms creating greater demand for ammo, how that ties in with more ammo being produced causing the cost of manufacture per round to decrease, and that leading to lower retail ammo prices. However, this plan may backfire. If we game a poll to encourage Kel-Tec to produce a firearm that we don't want (because it's from Kel-Tec) and it fails in the marketplace, this might have a chilling effect on other companies. A failed offering could undermine your objective. -Right now, it appears people are into the 5.7 due to the PS90 and the Five-seveN pistol. From my point of view, civilian shooters are into the caliber because they like the two major platforms for it not because they are necessarily in love with the caliber.

Basically, if someone wants to bring another platform to the market chambered in 5.7, it's going to have to be in a platform that would be successful in its own right, not merely because the caliber exists. When you start putting the 5.7 in an AR-style platform or other conventional designs, that will appeal to people who already have the PS90 or Five-seveN. Unless you are talking about conversion kits, I doubt conventional offerings re-chambered to 5.7 would appeal to many people who are not already in the 5.7 camp.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think an AR pistol would be a great platform because AR pistols are basically worthless except for the range due to their large muzzle blast and and short barrel. Accurate shots are hard to come by unless you use low pressure loads or sand bags.
Since Kel-tec makes low priced guns with great warranties, I think this would work. Especially since the PLR-16s (5.56) and PLR-22s (.22lr) have been a great hit so far. Reusing parts only makes sense to make a 5.7 version thus making the PLR/AR Pistol practical.
I think the price of a PLR-57 would make a great entry level gun for anyone wanting to get into 5.7x28mm as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think you're missing my point. You conceded that there are people who won't buy Kel-Tec products because the firearms are from Kel-Tec with all that entails. Asking these people to report their interest in a Kel-Tec product for a poll when there is no way they are going to buy a Kel-Tec product is counterproductive. Doing this may convince one company to commit to something where the market interest is vapor but others may come away with the lesson that the market is illusory and they should avoid it. False demand has a tendency to make companies reluctant to produce items they view as too niche.

Although some manufacturers could see it as a situation where the product wasn't well received simply because it was from Kel-Tec, many could assume that the real street level interest for 5.7 products is not there. -That would be something that would cut against the 5.7's future and your goal to see the 5.7 round go beyond FN firearms.

I do understand what you are saying about the platform being a good one to convert over to 5.7 for an affordable entry level firearm in that caliber, but asking those who have no interest in the stuff to report that they do seems like a bad idea that can boomerang.

I know it's a tangent, and I'm not a fan of pistol caliber carbines but I wondered why they never scaled up a version of their Sub-2000 rifle for the .45 ACP that would use 1911 mags. I'd think that would go like hotcakes give all the 1911 shooters.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got you but I doubt it would ever get to that since they first must make a SHOT show prototype and get reviews from critics first before any mass production even begins.
If it doesn't pass on its own @SHOT or the Kel-tec shoots, then I doubt they will continue it further.
A survey/internet interest does not equal a mass production item.
This will only help generate interest in the idea.
I get what you say about the negative stigma of Kel-tecs but it first must pass the mustard as a concept gun and we can see where it goes from there, just like their Bullpup RBF .308 rifle
Many people will not buy the RBF because its a Kel-tec but they are still going to make it anyway because it did so well at 2007 SHOT.

BreakerDave said:
but I wondered why they never scaled up a version of their Sub-2000 rifle for the .45 ACP that would use 1911 mags. I'd think that would go like hotcakes give all the 1911 shooters.
If you look at Kel-tec's track history and lineup they like to reuse/share parts between guns. That is why they produce one gun at a time. They produce a section of parts for types of gun and then they change their tooling up for another run. So you see shipments of a certain gun all at once instead of a couple of guns together.
.40 and 9mm can share simular parts so there isn't too much changes needed.
Also the fact that they don't make any .45ACP guns to begin with, would equate to ground up development.
I've owned 2 SUB2000s and I would say that there would be far too many expenditures needed to make a SUB 2000 .45ACP.
Too many things that it would be outside of Kel-tec's apparent business plan.
I think it would have been a great selling idea too but then that would also mean they would have to create another .45ACP gun to help share the cost...now a Bullpup RBF .45ACP would be cool :D But a Kel-tec P-45 handgun would not...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts