FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been asked a bunch of times, but what is the deal with the AR57 50 rd mags in a ps90? I usually would only stick with factory FN, but CDNN has these mags for under $10 and it is awfully tempting. So what is the consensus?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Just from my own personal experience with the malady of wannabe P/PS90 mags, I say dont buy them.
Some have good luck with them, I have not.

The one that I used was a ProMag and it is garbage.
It was okay and flawless for a few hundred rounds, but after firing flawlessly for so long, the mag wore out and misted like crazy causing stovepipes every tenth round.

Now, othere have used Korean mags and were able to fix them by using ManKave roller pins in them.
I do not know how those mags are standing up today

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I wish I did more testing with those. i have a budd who swears by them , I have 10, ran 3-4 alot but have not ran into troubles. I do have the same 3-4 sitting loaded up for my next guest range trip at the club.... they have been fully packed for a month or so.... will be interesting to see just what exactly will happen ? Will the spring get sacked ? Will they crack or distort due to sitting so long under load pressure ? I did swap out the rollers 1st, those didn't look too good.
The general consensus has been to go with the FN OEM's , at least that is what I did. But since I got my AR57's cheap also... it wouldn't be the 1st time I threw $100 bucks at something.
FN designed the mags & mag releases to wear out, it's in the armorer's manual. They even have a gage for checking wear.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
FN designed the mags & mag releases to wear out, it's in the armorer's manual. They even have a gage for checking wear.
Being made of plastic, it's inevitable it will wear out. The ProMag on I had just wore out too damn fast and then it was ready for the trash bin.
The OEM FNH mags I have, even the one that came with my PS90 when I bought it are still going strong

I assume the plastic feed ramps and the plastic dial part of the mag is necessary to protect the "Teflon" coating on the rounds.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Only aftermarket PS90 mags I would buy are the AR57 brand.

Pro mags are horrible.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Only aftermarket PS90 mags I would buy are the AR57 brand.
+1 on this^^^ I have a few of these I got some years back (with a AR57 upper) and have run them quite extensively without a single problem whatsoever. I wish I could say the same for my factory FN mags, but my growing collection of broken mag rollers makes this not possible.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
+1 on this^^^ I have a few of these I got some years back (with a AR57 upper) and have run them quite extensively without a single problem whatsoever. I wish I could say the same for my factory FN mags, but my growing collection of broken mag rollers makes this not possible.
I have the same experience with my AR57 upper. One of four factory mags failed, the lip on opening in the magazine broke out. My AR57 magazines all functioned perfectly. I found a 30 round FN mag for sale, swapped out the broken outer shell and had another 50 round magazine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts