FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts on the AR57?

With all the new AR type platforms that use the 5.7 cartridge and the Mac in 5.7 is the AR57 still a good platform or is it outdated?

Pros
-Takes PS90 Mags
-Ejects spent brass downward
-Ability to utilize hollowed out STANAG mag as brass catcher
-Side charging (non reciprocating)

Cons
-Proprietary barrel and bolt carrier
-Doesn't utilize locking lugs on bolt like other adaptations
(I view this as having both positives and negatives. On the one hand the ability to use any AR barrel on the new 5.7 uppers is nice but its not like there is an abundance of aftermarket 5.7 barrels to switch to or any for that matter. The same can be said about the ability to have replacement bolt carriers being a plus on new 5.7 uppers but I've never had the need to replace the carrier on any AR anyway, the wear is usually exclusively on the bolt itself. Wear is usually seen on the locking lugs of the bolt in my experience so the simplicity of the AR57 bolt and lack of locking lugs probably contributes to it being very robust similar to the bolts in open bolt Macs, which do wear out but usually from friction to the underside on a tab that holds the bolt open which doesn't apply to the AR57 bolt.

I guess it probably depends on what your purpose for the platform is, if you intend to have a dedicated 5.7 AR then the AR57 is probably more relevant but if you intend to just stash away a barrel and bolt in the safe and only pull it out every so often and install it on your current ARs then the AR57 probably wouldn't make much sense. I haven't done much investigating but i assume because the AR57 doesn't utilize locking lugs on the bolt that the barrel must have some differences that may prevent it from being installed easily into a standard upper receiver.

The AR57 didn't seem too popular when it came out but at the time the 5.7 was a niche market to begin with so perhaps if it came out now it would have a bigger market and of course the cost of the platform was a little off-putting considering you could get a PS90 for some what close to the same price after you factor in the cost of a lower receiver at the time. Obviously I think the PS90 is a better platform but once you own one or two of those where do you go from there.

Also one last thing, what are yalls thoughts on making an AR platform 5.7 caliber look like a PS90 by installing Hera Arms CQR furniture on it? I'm debating on it right now and my concern is that if i make it look like a PS90 i am negating the potential benefits of the AR design as far as handling go, like why buy an AR if im going to make it look like a PS90? but i am leaning towards doing it because why not.

In all i think the AR57 is the better design because of the side charging handle alone, it is in my opinion the biggest flaw in the AR Stoner design. That paired with the robust and simple bolt, the ability to take ps90 mags and the built in brass catcher make it superior.

*picture is borrowed from google images and not mine

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,750 Posts
Personally, if you want an AR15, get an AR15. If you want a PS90, then get a PS90.

The PS90 is good out to 200 meters or so. The AR15 is good to 600 meters.

Two different platforms, two different purposes.

I never did like the AR57 but that is me personally. Others have it and like the hell out of it. The final decisions is going to be yours. I don't know where you are from so it is hard to say whether you have the ability to Short Barrel either or both platforms. The original P90 is a sub machine gun and that is where it shines and that is why so many of us short barrel the PS90, because it shines as a small bull-pup. The AR15 is a light battlefield rifle and that is where it shines, on the battlefield if you are looking at 5.56mm vs 7.62X51mm (.308 win) which is a heavy battlefield rifle.

There are so many things to look at but usage is going to be one of the major deciding factors in your case.

Of course, you can get an AR15 and then get the AR57 upper and use the bottom half as a dual platform, as many have done. The nice thing about the AR15 is that you can also get a 300BO upper so you would have multiple uppers on a single lower.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One other pro for the AR57 is the trigger choices you have, face it that most any AR trigger is better than the bullpup. Pro for the PS90 is its OAL, there's really nothing else like it and when SBRd it's stupid easy to use one handed or two.
I own an AR57 16" upper. It's far easier to shoot fast and on target due to weight and trigger and the mag brass catcher is great. If I have to grab a 5.7 long arm for SHTF as I'm running out the door, the SBR PS90 is what's coming with me....it's so compact and the ease of handling /maneuverabilty makes it far more ideal for the purpose for which it was designed.
Studio_20200626_174423.jpg
All loaded mags with SS198. For weight references from AR57 top to bottom 9lbs, 7lbs 9oz and 6lbs 14oz. The very top gun is an Encore with 15" 5.7x28 barrel.

Your question on opinions about the Hera rifle.........that's one ugly, stupid looking setup that I can't see what purpose it serves. ....IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the Hera rifle looked stupid at first too and i was like why would you buy an AR and make it into a really long PS90 if you just wanted a PS90 but it is growing on me and ill tell you why. The PS90 is meant for close quarters, you can argue that you can use it for further out but its meant for close quarters and thats what its good at. The AR is meant for medium range so in my mind an AR57 with the Hera Arms furniture isnt meant to replace a PS90 its meant to look more like an FS2000 and give you a little more range with 5.7, the longer barrel, the longer sight picture, and the increased weight help with this. So i don't think of it as an AR trying to look like a PS90, i think of it as a mashup between an AR a PS90 and an FS2000 and in that regard it looks pretty good to me. Especially since i can use the PS90 as a close quarters firearm and the AR57 as a medium range weapon with the same caliber and magazine.

The trigger issue is a good point i forgot to mention and i think that just aids my thought process of the AR57 bridging the gap between close quarter and medium range because a good trigger helps.

With all of that being said if i were going to have my pick at a medium range rifle it'd be a Scar but who doesn't like options.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've prairie dogged with the 16" PS90, the AR57 and the Encore......no matter the gun they all had the same range limitations. ...roughly 170 yards max. If you think the AR57 style 5.7x28 gun is going to give you further usable range you're going to be sadly disappointed. It'll shoulder better and has a better rail for eye relief with real scopes but range wise it has no advantage. This is one of the reasons I stated the SBR would be my SHTF choice over the others. Oh, speaking of scopes on the AR57....better pick VERY TALL rings/mounts for normal size scopes as the overhang over the magazine can/will block inserting/removing magazines.....it's a real PITA.

I do agree with the SCAR as a medium/long rang semi auto choice, both of mine are great.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I had an AR57, it was reliable, a light weight package with 50 rounds and it's great to use an AR magazine with the feed lips cut off to catch the empties, they are ejected out of the AR magazine well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
This thread reminds me that I was thinking of having my 57 upper cut to 12", going to have to look into that again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i say longer range i dont mean that the gun will make the bullet more effective out to further distances. Obviously the 5.7 cant compete with the 5.56 in terms of effective range but I mean that the longer sight radius, longer barrel , heavier barrel, better trigger, and better sight options will make it more accurate at longer ranges than if you were to shoot a 10.4 in ps90 downrange at the same target. I could have worded what i meant better in my previous post.

Accuracy is naturally increased with a longer barrel and a longer sight radius.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just need to find someone with an old mag with damaged feed lips so i can cut them off without having to destroy a perfectly good mag.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When i say longer range i dont mean that the gun will make the bullet more effective out to further distances. Obviously the 5.7 cant compete with the 5.56 in terms of effective range but I mean that the longer sight radius, longer barrel , heavier barrel, better trigger, and better sight options will make it more accurate at longer ranges than if you were to shoot a 10.4 in ps90 downrange at the same target. I could have worded what i meant better in my previous post.

Accuracy is naturally increased with a longer barrel and a longer sight radius.
So sight radius. ....you're thinking of just using iron sights then? Still just a 16" barrel same as the PS90 and with low power optics they shoot almost the same group size, I've benched them both and shot to 100 to see the differences. Only the better AR trigger gives you an edge.

Good luck with the decision and enjoy it. Always fun to have options and new toys to play with.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I just need to find someone with an old mag with damaged feed lips so i can cut them off without having to destroy a perfectly good mag.
Yea, I bit the bullet and cut one of my Magpuls down. Kinda hurt a bit to do that to a perfectly good mag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So sight radius. ....you're thinking of just using iron sights then? Still just a 16" barrel same as the PS90 and with low power optics they shoot almost the same group size, I've benched them both and shot to 100 to see the differences. Only the better AR trigger gives you an edge.

Good luck with the decision and enjoy it. Always fun to have options and new toys to play with.
Im talking about a 10.4 inch barrel on a ps90 because that's what it was designed with and that's what i think runs the best on it and im always thinking about iron sights. Every gun should have backup iron sights, especially for shtf guns if that's what youre into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts