FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding is that there are two barrel weights: heavy, and standard. Are all 20" barrels "heavy" and all 16" "standard"?

I'm looking for a 16" FNAR and want to make sure I don't get a "heavy".

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HELLO....Hello.....hello...
ECHO....Echo....echo....
(crickets chirping...)

Geez. If this were an AR forum about 30 guys would have chimed in with their expertise, rants, and miscellaneous irrelevancies by now. :smile:

I'll ask it another way, this time regarding fluting. Can you tell if a FNAR barrel is heavy or lightweight by the fluting? Did they make any heavy barrels with fluting, or can I be certain if it's fluted, it's lightweight, either in 20" or 16"? Is there any other way to tell?

I'm looking for a 16" and want to make sure it's not a "heavy".

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
All 20" barrels are "Heavy" and all 16" barrels are "Standard". Both barrels are fluted. If you can see a picture of the rifle, a 20" barrel sticks out about 8" past the stock. The 16" barrel sticks out about 4". Hope this helps. Good luck!:?

http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/autoloading-rifles/

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not Always

All 20" barrels are "Heavy" and all 16" barrels are "Standard". Both barrels are fluted. If you can see a picture of the rifle, a 20" barrel sticks out about 8" past the stock. The 16" barrel sticks out about 4".
This is true now, but if you're looking at a used rifle, it could well be a 20" lightweight as these were made up until at least 2009.

It is also recommended you check to see if the rail is straight on any FNAR, new or used, that you are looking at.

As for waiting a week for a response, this forum goes without a new post for weeks sometimes. That is one of the joys of an FNAR, not everyone owns one or even knows about them.

·
Registered
891 Posts
They used to make 4 versions - heavy and light versions of both the 16" and 20". They were advertised that way up till 2012. Not sure when the production was changed. There are still a lot of "new" rifles out there that were made prior to 2012, so you will need to look at the rifle unless you know when it was manufactured. The weight difference in the 16" version between the standard any heavy was just a couple of ounces, so if you find a 16" I would buy it regardless of barrel description. The 16" versions are not as easy to find as the 20" models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They used to make 4 versions - heavy and light versions of both the 16" and 20". They were advertised that way up till 2012. Not sure when the production was changed. There are still a lot of "new" rifles out there that were made prior to 2012, so you will need to look at the rifle unless you know when it was manufactured. The weight difference in the 16" version between the standard any heavy was just a couple of ounces, so if you find a 16" I would buy it regardless of barrel description. The 16" versions are not as easy to find as the 20" models.

I wonder if the factory could tell me based on the SN.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts