FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what ammo to carry CCW in my 45's.

I carried hydro shoks while on duty but things have changed in the time I have been out. Has any one seen comparisons between the different brands?

I am also going to be reloading them as well for target but buying factory for carry due to the legal what-if's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, the image above only includes Winchester loads. Good stuff though. I use the 147-grain Ranger T in my Kel Tec P11 9mm and my brother carries the 230-grain Ranger-T in his Para LDA .45.

As for defensive ammo in general, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference when comparing top choices like the Winchester SXT/Ranger T, Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber or Hornady TAP. They'll all penetrate about 12-15" in each FBI test protocol and expand to around 1.5-1.75 their starting diameter in bare gelatin. I think what's far more important than theoretical wound ballistics is how well a certain load works in your handgun. Does it function with 100% reliability over several hundred rounds? Is it accurate in your hands?

One area that can also play a part is price. Some good defensive ammo is only available in expensive 20-round boxes. Others can be found in more economical 50-round boxes. That's one reason why my brother and I use the Winchester Ranger T.

·
Registered
217 Posts
All hollow points are very much not created equal. Also brand x does not always trump brand y. For instance spear gold dot 125 grain 357 magnum is the best people stopping 357 magnum ever made. Much better than federal hydroshock. However, the hydroshock has a good reputation in .45 acp. You must look up the terminal ballistics of each round specifically. What you are looking for for self defense is first shot stop %. It is the percent of the time, in actual practice, that 1 shot landed on the torso stopped a suspect. Data is kept on this by police departments and compiled nationally. If you search the internet you will find it. Ballistic jelloton is so so for predicting how effective a round will really be on flesh and bone.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Win Ranger T or Speer Gold Dots in the heaviest weight for the given caliber are my first choices.
The Win Comparison Tool shown below is quite useful in getting a feel for the differences in calibers and weights in general.

·
Registered
490 Posts
SELFDEFENSE said:
Win Ranger T or Speer Gold Dots in the heaviest weight for the given caliber are my first choices.
The Win Comparison Tool shown below is quite useful in getting a feel for the differences in calibers and weights in general.
+1

·
Registered
133 Posts
This may ruffle a few feathers.

I would be cautious about the so called high priced SD ammo. In my opinion it is marketing hype. I say this because of the link below.

This ND was at almost point blank range with hydro shok. Nice clean exit wounds when by rights, this fellow shouldn’t have much of a leg left.

http://negligentdischarge.com/leg.html

This is just one of several reasons I CC a revolver with SJHP’s.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nobody mentioned my preference - Hornady Critical Defense (.45ACP/185gr.) Yes, they're pricey, but perform well in any media due to the fact the cavity is filled with a silicone rubber-like polymer material that prevents the "clogging" that sometimes can occur when the bullet passes through a few layers of cloth - and thus fails to expand. The Horn CD's ALWAYS expanded in my testing.

Bud

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
^^ They always don't expand in other testing, and fail to meet minimum penetration depths. Hence the reason they came out with Critical Duty.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
And this thread was dead almost three years. :-D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Topics that were of interest to those around several years ago might be just as interesting to us new guys today...

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Topics that were of interest to those around several years ago might be just as interesting to us new guys today...
I'm guessing if they've been dead 3-5 years with zero posts, probably not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts