FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Getting ready to scope my A5M-XP with a Vortex Viper PST-624F1-M (6-24X50 FFP EBR-1 MRAD) which is going to sit on some Badger Ordnance Standard Height .823" height rings https://www.badgerordnance.com/products/scope-ring-standard-height-823-30mm-dia-2/ that I have had in my possession since Feb of last year (no return given this late date, even for exchange). With no lens protectors, the objective has clearance of about .156" (4/25 of an inch or 4mm) between the base of the objective and the top of the barrel. With some Vortex size 7 Flip Cover for the objective, the clearance is reduced to .031" (3/100 of an inch or .08mm) between the objective cap and the barrel. With the sun shade, the flip cap is further down the barrel and there is lots of room for clearance.

Now I know that you want the scope as close to the barrel as possible but is this too close for comfort and should I go to the .885" height rings? This is a .062" height difference (3/50 of an inch or 1.5mm) more in height.

The issue is that the with the lens covers that the scope came with, the objective being clear and the exit pupil being yellow (basic lens covers with the elastic bands on them - more or less trash or for use in an emergency) that the objective cover has a clearance of .020" between the scope and the barrel, about the width of gnat balls. This raises concerns of will the heat of the barrel as in increases due to round fired, melt the objective lens cap cover or is the cap cover made of a tough enough material that it will not melt/deform if it sits on the barrel. The other issue is what happens if there is contact between the objective lens cap and the barrel, will it affect the scope alignment? Chances are that I will always be running the sun shade as I am in the Sunshine State so should I really be worried and lose the closeness to the barrel that these rings provide me.

Now I doubt that I will ever shoot so many rounds in such a short time that the barrel will ever get hot enough to expand creating contact anyways without the sun shade on the scope. And if it does, I think that due to the thickness of the lens cap sleeve .125" (1/8 of an inch or 3mm) that I can shave about half the width off of the cover sleeve that slips over the objective lens if necessary.

Also, is there a specific side of the scope that the scope ring nuts should be on? I am thinking the right side, away from the ejection port.

Maybe I am just over thinking this.......

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
The difference between the bell and barrel on yours without the scope cover is about the distance of mine with the scope cover. I have not had any issues, and I highly doubt you'll have issues with heat or the scope contacting the barrel.

As far as scope close to the barrel, it's really not needed since you do have the adjustable cheek rest. A lot of the new platforms and very expensive rifles have monolithic rails running 15"+ down the barrel bumping the scope up quite a bit higher. Before adjustable cheek rests were the norm you would want to get the scope as close to the barrel as possible for a better cheek rest while being able to see through the scope.

As to the scope ring nuts, I'd personally put them on the left, although it technically doesn't matter as long as there isn't any MOA built into them (which I don't think there is).

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's how my scope is right now. I had to take off my lens cap. View attachment 38549 View attachment 38550
I saw your post, unfortunately, Vortex Tech Support does not think that the alumina threaded covers will fit the threading. Something about being very specific to the Leupold scopes.

They did mention that my idea of shaving about 1mm off the bottom of the cover sleeve between the barrel and sleeve cover might work to solve the problem though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a friend who said he's had to file his lens covers down on a few of his rifle builds. I just couldn't remove enough material from my lens cap to make it fit. Good news for your though: If you leave the lens cap off and something happens to your scope, I'm 100% positive that Vortex would repair or replace it for you free of charge. From every account I've heard Vortex has legendary customer service. I even heard a story of a guy who somehow shot a pair of his vortex binoculars (I don't know how that even happened) and Vortex sent him a replacement free of charge. Not even joking about that either.

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup. I heard that as well. I also heard about a guy that ran over his scope and offered to pay for the repair or replacement and Vortex refused. One of the reasons that I purchased this unit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wont a sun shade solve your problem? The contour of the barrel falls away 3 or 4 inches down the line. As to heat, I run my bell less than an inch from my muzzle break on my bullpup rifle. much hotter with no ill effects other than mirage when the can is installed and a cover mitigates that.

Reactions: HK SD9 Tactical

·
Administrator
12,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wont a sun shade solve your problem? The contour of the barrel falls away 3 or 4 inches down the line. As to heat, I run my bell less than an inch from my muzzle break on my bullpup rifle. much hotter with no ill effects other than mirage when the can is installed and a cover mitigates that.
Thanks for the response and yes, last sentence, first paragraph. It's OK because I do the same thing - read through and sometimes miss things like this because I am so intent of the subject matter that I miss the "and by the way parts" :oops: .... You are correct that because of the contour of the barrel the issue is non critical and I will most likely utilize the sun shade consistently because I am in the Sunshine State.

But my hunting grounds are in New England where I grew up and the forest there are known for eating unprotected glass and scopes. Not much use for a sunshade when it is snowing and dark as the interior of a movie theater all day long.

I am just trying to cover all potential bases, like hunting, before I commit myself to using the current rings, and then later on changing my mind because problems prop up and having to sell the scope rings as used rings instead of new rings.

In all honesty, I think that I will be fine with the current rings and the final decision will be made on whether I can get a comfortable behind the scope with the current setup. If I can not get the eyeball-scope alignment because the rings are to low, they are going to have to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts