FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. This is my first post here. :) I have the FNX-45 and the FNS-9 and have an sighting inconsistency problem. On the FNX, I line up the three dots and I'm on target. On the FNS, I line up the three downs and I'm seriously low. The only way to target the FNS is to ignore the rear sites altogether and only focus on the front. This inconsistency is a problem when I'm switching guns (IPDA back up gun).

The FNS has the night sites while the FNX has the standard. So, I'm wondering if the rear night sights aren't calibrated with the front? If the FNX and FNS are suppose to have the same rear sight, then I see where the problem is. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using Sight Picture #3 when you line up with the FNS?

View attachment 39094

Thank you for your response.

Not the FNS. The FNX-45, yes. Sight picture #3 will give me near perfect and consistent hits on target on the FNX.

For the FNS, it's none of the above. It would be like #3, but the rear sight's top edges line up with the base of the front sight (actually, it's even more than that). I had one of the staff at the local range try the FNS, he was on target after his second shot, but told me I basically need to cover the target with both sights.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Check the owner's manual for the proper sight picture to use. Then...

You can use the following site to check your sights. (Do your range shooting from a rest -- which can be as simple as a bag of beans or rice -- with your hands resting on the bag. Slowly pull the trigger for each shot.)

Note: A click on first input fielld will cause a pop-up window to open elsewhere on the screen -- and that is where you enter data. Everything is measured in INCHES... so have a calculator handy.

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid...rce=ir&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-IR-_-60594

This will let you put in the distance between the front and rear sights, the distance to the target, and the amount of error.

If you have night sights, the options can be more costly.

If there aren't night sights installed, you can get a newer front sight or, more likely, a different rear sight -- from FN. You can tell them what you've done to determine the sight height needed, and they may want to know which sight is intalled on your gun. (I've not pulled an FNS sight off, yet, so I don't know how they are marked, if they are marked.) A ruler might be handy if they want you to measure the front or rear sight height. Most gun makers will generally replace a front or rear sight (if they're not night sights) free of charge.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can also get either the .40 or .45ACP front sight (or both) to raise your point of impact. The Trijicon HD series sights match the FN factory sight dimensions and show the following front blade heights by caliber: 9mm= 0.230", .40= 0.215" and .45ACP= 0.200".

The shorter .40 or .45ACP front sights should raise your POI. MGW has the plain dot sights for $11 each, I'd suggest getting those to test which height works best for you before plunking down the bucks for another night sight.

If you prefer the "big dot" style front sights, the Trijicon HD series individual front sights can be ordered from the Optics Planet site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts