FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so today at work there's a guy talking about his AR15 and his buddies who all have AR15, M4s, whatever. Yea, I've got an AR just like everyone else but I found myself point out things like the gas system and then adding that anything that needs a forward bolt assist has to make you scratch your head and wonder. Finally, I drop the "Well..., I have a SCAR17." His eye's glaze over and some comment comes out like "well, the SCAR's pretty good..."then the subject changes to work nonsense. I just realized that I look at AR guys like they're...well...beneath the SCAR shooters. So....are we snobs?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Do I feel that other shooters are beneath SCAR shooters...no.

Do I feel their girly guns are beneath my beasts? Yes. 8)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well to some people, having a 2700-3k gun automatically makes you snob... and come on now, most of us have to make it a point to mention "Well, I have a SCAR" (then we sit back waiting for someone to trump that).
I know I'm not the only one!!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
I was so enthusiastic with the actual possession of a top tier weapon; other than the AR ; that some extra ego leaked out.

In between 3 hrs.& 3 days after some gloating, or display of extra pride... I come back down to earth.

Usually because, then, I see some old guy shoot a M-1 carbine , so damn good, ya' wanna ' hug'im.

Snob don't last long.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
So....are we snobs?
Yepp.

I don't look down on other shooters. Only some of there weapons. I am not the kind of guy to rub it in someone's face though. I am just kinda smug and silent.

·
Registered
660 Posts
No - not at all. Some guys like to throw that out there when the AR talk is going on and you mention you have a SCAR 17 and then you get the "well..La Tee Da!" comment or look. At that I say "What? Why the comment" or look? (Knowing I'm going to get my balls busted for a fancy rifle and it's cost.) Then you get a comment like "Not all of us have all the money in the world to blow 3 grand on a rifle Mr. Bigshot!" So if I'm going to be accused of wearing that profile..... I have to go with it!!! "Well - if my (correct them!) $2,700 rifle intimidates you because of it's quality and cost, I guess you don't what to talk about one of the $19,400 Perazzi's I shoot skeet with then either huh?" Yep - you should see the looks then. But then I continue... "But it's ok to tell me about the truck you bought used for $30,000 and think it's a smart buy, but then you have to realize it's losing money every single day.... and my Perazzi that I bought for roughly 20K is appreciating in value. That's right, I Make Money on my fine shotguns!! Now boys....who's the one "blowing money"??? Dead silence! The look on their face once the math sinks in??? Priceless!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well....I really like my 17. On my second one. BUT, if I could grab only one from the safe and run out into the apocalypse it would be my KAC SR25 EMC. And on the 5.56 side of the fence I sold off my 16 and picked up a second SR15 E3 Mod1. The 16/17/15/25 have all been dead reliable. But the shear shootability of the 15 make it my choice over the 16. On the 308 side of the fence the 17 is nice and I really like the weight. But the EMC just shoots lights out and handles great!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love my SCARs, I have 16's and 17's in black and FDE and I would get one in OD if it came out tomorrow. I think if you can afford better quality weapons, why not buy them instead of spending money on something that might be lower quality or that just lacks the panache. On the other hand there are guns that are much less expensive that go bang just like the SCAR and would likely serve and individual's needs just the same. I have several pricey guns and my coworkers always joke that I'll probably end up getting taken out by a Hi-point. There are also other firearms that I think are ridiculously overpriced (anything sold or worked over by Salient unless the release a scar then I'll take out a second mortgage), but at the same time if it floats your boat I get it... Guys that solely run AR's probably look at SCAR owners in a similar way. I think that most of the things that Salient comes out with... I know custom work isn't cheap but a $3000.00 Glock? For me the bang for the buck isn't there, but they sure do look purdy!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I've never had a failure to feed with my 16 or 17. I once went over a 2000 rounds w/o cleaning my 16. Do that with conventional AR and see what happens. I've never had an AR that could shoot more than 2 or 300 rounds w/o starting to jam due to all the dirt and soot that accumulates from the gas blow back mechanism. Sure there are now piston driven ARs, and I will eventually buy one, but not another gas blow back gun-they are outdated and INFERIOR .

·
Registered
259 Posts
if I could grab only one from the safe and run out into the apocalypse it would be my KAC SR25 EMC.
(1) Do you think these (SR-25 EMC) will appreciate in value ?

(2) I know you have the EMC but also do you think the ECC will appreciate in value ?
The reason i am asking is because i am thinking about buying one (SR-25 ECC) the guy says he wants $6000. I really like the toy but i just find it hard to pull the trigger, especially if its going to depreciate in value.

(3) Also do you think $6000 is a fair price for a NIB SR-25 ECC ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, they certainly always get a lot of attention when I take them to the range. I always offer to let the gawkers shoot them, especially the kids who know what they are. "HOLY S###, is that a SCAR???" Yea, wanna shoot it? Smiles all around. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scar owners are no more snoobbish than HK owners, wait I'm screwed. We're not being snooby, we're just very satisfied in what we have. Face it, if you're at the range and someone broke out a mini-gun, we'd get on a step ladder to talk to him. I just always remember someone has something better, that reminds me I need to save up for the more accurate FDE 17.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes and that's ok. People all bag on the SCAR because its too expensive, blah blah. When I priced out buying a nice AR-10, it was not really more expensive. And like the above poster said, It doesn't take much cleaning. It's a sweet setup!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Come on fellahs.

When you are sitting at the range and someone is talking up their base model DPMS like its the best thing since sliced bread... What's going through your head?

Personally I won't interject or flaunt what I have. I will only provide suggestions and guidance if asked. Im a pretty humble dude when I'm not among you people :-D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Come on fellahs.

When you are sitting at the range and someone is talking up their base model DPMS like its the best thing since sliced bread... What's going through your head?

Personally I won't interject or flaunt what I have. I will only provide suggestions and guidance if asked. Im a pretty humble dude when I'm not among you people :-D

I don't flaunt or interject either but I have no problem setting up right next to them. Usually don't have to say a thing. They just start talking to you.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never begrudge a person their choice of guns since selection is sometimes so personal, and the more RKBA peeps we have out there the better. Snobbery against ignorance and mall ninjas is however very recommended.

But in general scar owners are snobs. It's ridiculous the personal attacks people will get from the snooty pot belly crowd if they admit to using wolf ammo in these delicate morning flower rifles because if you're spending 3000k on a rifle, it should only be fed virgin lake city brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: togjr9

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I don't flaunt or interject either but I have no problem setting up right next to them. Usually don't have to say a thing. They just start talking to you.
Nothing wrong with sewing a little penis envy into the range visit. 5 guys on the tables... You pick the guy wearing the Oakley's, tapout shirt, bedazzled cargo shorts and sporting an olympic arms AR to set up next to. Its common courtesy. Don't even look at em. Just let the beast shake his hair folicles.

Its all in good fun.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nothing wrong with sewing a little penis envy into the range visit. 5 guys on the tables... You pick the guy wearing the Oakley's, tapout shirt, bedazzled cargo shorts and sporting an olympic arms AR to set up next to. Its common courtesy. Don't even look at em. Just let the beast shake his hair folicles.

Its all in good fun.
Haha that's a hell of a description.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts