FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 07 Mazda 3 and a 02 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The Mazda gets good gas mileage (28-31 mpg) and is a pleasure to drive. My truck, well not so much of a pleasure anymore..... Especially when it comes time to fill it up. It gets about (10-13 mpg) and cost about $100 to fill it up now days... I have a Harley as well, but is more of a recreational vehicle rather than a practical every day vehicle. Besides, it doesn't get that good of mileage for a motorcycle anyway... So bikes don't count....

So, what's ya driving and are you going to keep it?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Since I was a teenager, (1979) I had been driving mostly Mustangs. (I've owned 9) With a Firebird or truck sprinkled in here and there. All had V8's. I don't think any of them ever got more than 20 mpg, most a lot less, some under 10.

In 2000, when I got married to my current wife, I sold my last Mustang (1998 Saleen) and bought a Ford Ranger Edge 4X4 with a 4.0L V6. It got right at 20 mpg when it was new but only about 16 or 17 when I sold it. It had 140,000 miles on it. I kept it until last fall when I sold it and bought a 2007 Kia Sorento with a V6. It gets a little over 20 in the city and almost 30 on the highway. I think I am averaging about 22 mpg with it. I miss my Edge, but I like haveing the back of the Sorento to carry rifles around easier.

I also have a Honda Shadow Spirit 750 but it gets less than 30 mpg so I won't save very much money driving it, and I don't expect it to have the life time in miles the Sorento will get so pputting wear and tear on it is counter productive.

I knew whan I bought the Sorento that there were better gas milage vehicles in it's class, and there was even a smaller V6 engine I could have gotten, but there were other factors I had to consider that made me select the vehicle that I did.

Like I said, I like the convienience of having the SUV style back area. It also makes a better "get out of Dodge" vehicle, because we can pack gear and food inside with us and sleep in comfort in bad weather if needed. After seeing the mass exodus from Houston that clogged all the roads a couple of years ago I wanted a better road vehicle. It is also a Rear Wheel Drive Chassis and no other SUV's in this class are. The bigger engine (265+hp) allows me to haul my gyroplane trailer around without straining it. I also plan to haul things around on that trailer at our property.

So to get these advatages and still get over 20 mpg, I don't think I could have made a better choice for my needs, I will keep it.

My wife has always had little sedans like Nissan Altima's or the older model Camry's with small engines. At the end of 2006 we traded in her Altima and got her a Hyundai Sonata with the biggest V6 we could get in it. It also get upwards of 20 mpg and has good power. Both her Sonata and my Sorento have 10 ten year 100,000 mile warrenties. And they were priced much lower than the Japanese or American models with the same options and performance.

I guess that was a little more than you asked for, but I wanted to explain that mpg isn't always the only things to consider, even when the price of fuel is so high. To keep the price down I will probably change more and more of my driving habits, like trying to consolidate shopping trips and errands, and spend more time at home.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I had my last car, I was too paranoid about it getting scratches. It was my pride and joy, but I couldn't drive it anywhere, not in the rain, definitely not the snow, not when roads had salt, nowhere. That car was an 03 cobra, and while I loved the car, i wasn't happy!

So I wanted to find something that I could tow light loads with, handle as good as better than the 03 cobra, run good, not have any annoying moans or rattles, reliable, and looked good....

I ended up with a BMW X5 (4.4 fully loaded), sold the 03 cobra a couple months after, and have been a happy man ever since! I can back in to poles, romp over curbs, drive anywhere, run low 14 second 1/4 miles, handle amazing, and do it all in luxury. :shock:

With that said, I'm going to keep it for a couple more years until I can comfortably afford (the insurance :roll: ) on a Porsche 997 turbo. Either a 996 turbo or 997 turbo are the ONLY cars that are worth buying next.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
So you aren't worried or bothered about fuel prices are ya!? :-D

·
Registered
954 Posts
I own a 95 Contour in Indiana and a 95 Corolla here in Hawaii. Both are 1.6 liter "poor-man's" cars.... but I like them, they suit my needs well.

·
Registered
857 Posts
On Land:
03 Chevy Avalanche - 30 gallon Tank - 14 MPG
& I love it

On Water:
31' 2004 Chapparal
150 gallon tank - burns 24 gallons per hours
no sure how much i still like this

·
Registered
324 Posts
I drive either a
1999 Contour Svt or a 1999 Roush Stage 3. I will keep both i don't care what they charge for gas, I will not buy a faggie little slow gay car. I like my performance vehicles too much. I would like to buy like a cheap 1000 dollar car just for driving around in the winter. I had to use my contour mostly this year which sucked :( . But my grandmother lets me use her car during the winter so it wasn't too bad. Beside the contour svt gets like 18/28 and the Roush get 17/28 if you don't get into the supercharger. So the cars aren't to bad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
249 Posts
02 Dodge Ram Quadcab. 2wd. 14mpg.

No. If I didn't need a truck so often, I would be getting something that gets upper 20's mpg.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drive a Civic. No I'm not at liberty to tell the year because I don't want to be laughed at. Of course you can't beat a 4 banger at the pump. I like it. It gets me to where I need to go. Still backfires, but I think that's actually kind of cool. :?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Im really happy with my truck. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4 with a hemi and im getting 22mpg to and from work right around 25 miles from home, and around town im getting 16-18.

:grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts