FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has everyone heard about the home invasion that recently happened in Arizona. Sorry, but I am to lazy to find a link to the story right now. However, there were several Mexican Nationals, (this thread is not about illegal immigration or Mexicans in any way), wearing body armor and carrying AR15 riffles that committed a home invasion an killed a man in his own home.

Stories like this are why I own a 5.7, and hope that one day I may be able to own the proper ammunition to take advantage of its properties.

Just in case someone has some comments, no I do not want to go against an AR15 with a 5.7, but it would make a good back up for my AR, and I would rather have it than any "traditional" pistol round.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Personally I hope that I never have to fire a shot at a human . But if I did I would use a Five-seveN in a heartbeat and would want the hollow point ammo available to citizens. Body armor is cool but the head is still a good place to hit. And yes I would definately rather have my AR as well in an armed confrontation too :-x

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Welcome! :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would be curious

I would be curious to know how a five seven performs in a "headshot" role.

It is known that pistol ammo is notorious for glancing off skulls. If you dont believe me just do a quick web search and many topics will come up some fairly recent. I have heard to buy more "squared" hollow points as they may help the bullet to dig as opposed to deflect.

With the 5.7 being so pointy I would think that it would do well in that regard, but I must say I only assume and dont know any facts to support.

I also would be curious to know what kind of body armor they were wearing. For anyone who has priced it soft body is very expensive and not easily put together by someone. Where rifle plates can be had much cheaper or simply fabricated and would easily stop most pistol rounds as well as alot of rifle rounds. Of course soft body armor is more easily obtained since it is what is commonly worn by police(can be stolen).

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Re: I would be curious

threeheadeddog said:
For anyone who has priced it soft body is very expensive
You're kidding right? Have you done a search on ebay for "kevlar vest"?
Have you seen how many Level IIA vest sell for $50? I've seen a bunch.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Usually expired lvl II's, not to mention, I don't think a lvlII would stop a .45. Thought I'd read that somewhere. Lvl III go for anywhere upwards of $600 for new stuff. If I was ever inclined to buy one, which I'm not, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying something that
1. Has an expiration date
2. Expiration date has passed
3. Costs more than $300
4. Would statistically, never be used for its intended purpose

Zhur

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
yes, expired Level IIs but even expired Level IIs that can still stop a 9mm even 5 years after "issue date".
I know, I've tested it on an eBay vest before.
When one expires, its based on "issue date" not "production date".

I would not wear an "expired" vest as well.
What I was trying to get at was that cheap soft armor does exist and I doubt a thug would care too much about expiration date of a vest. Especially since it doesn't state an "expiration date" on the vest itself.
Usually just an "issue date" and a "production date".

·
Registered
475 Posts
kevlar itself does not expire, they issue an expiration date because of wear and tear. basically if you keep your vest out of long periods of direct sunlight, make sure it stays dry, and as long as the panels don't come apart the vest should last a long time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts