FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little frustrated today. I filed a paper Form 4 via Trust and my Class III dealer on July 13th for a DTA .338 Suppressor. My buddy filed a Form 4 for an AAC Prodigy via Trust and the same Class III dealer on July 20th. He received his stamp December 15th. I keep hearing how wait times are coming down, but I still haven't received my stamp. I called the BATF NFA branch yesterday to check the status and I was told that it went pending July 19th and is still pending. I asked if they could estimate how much longer and the response was that it could take up to seven months, so possibly sometime in February. WTF? These NFA laws are a bunch of phooey!

Thanks for letting me vent!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My guess - the additional examiners, more eyeballs to scan/review/find errors - so like ATF 'god willing' you'll get a surprise and have your item before FEB...

·
Registered
637 Posts
When I buy an NFA item, I just assume I won't see it for a year. Keep your expectations low, then you won't be disappointed :)

I'm waiting for 4 suppressors and 1 SBR. It's like a surprise party. I have no idea when I'm having it.

·
Administrator
12,080 Posts
A little frustrated today. I filed a paper Form 4 via Trust and my Class III dealer on July 13th for a DTA .338 Suppressor. My buddy filed a Form 4 for an AAC Prodigy via Trust and the same Class III dealer on July 20th. He received his stamp December 15th. I keep hearing how wait times are coming down, but I still haven't received my stamp. I called the BATF NFA branch yesterday to check the status and I was told that it went pending July 19th and is still pending. I asked if they could estimate how much longer and the response was that it could take up to seven months, so possibly sometime in February. WTF? These NFA laws are a bunch of phooey!

Thanks for letting me vent!
I know that in some parts of the country, the examiners have more of a workload than the other examiners. Last time I filed a paper form, it took 3 months longer than what other people were getting their approvals. I was told that because Florida is a hot buyers place for NFA items, the workload on the inspector is heavier so it takes longer.

On top of that, there is vacation time, holidays, etc etc etc.

It is purely hit and miss. Sometimes you are lucky, other times you are not. Even with the last EForms, mine took considerably longer that others. While some got approvals in less than 90 days, mine took 5 months.

Hey, I am still waiting on a Form 20 that I sent in in September of last year. I figure that it will be Sep of this year before I get it and it will be useless by then so I am going to just file another one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As an 07/02 I hear about this all the time. IMO if your getting a form 4 back in less than 7 months, your living a charmed life. I'm sure it happens some, I don't see it very often.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
My SR-7 was approved in less than 4 months. I'm expecting my 9-inch MPW Form 4 approval any time in the next two weeks. If that doesn't happen I'll be extremely disappointed. That would equal out to just under 4 months for approval as well.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
We have received over 1000 form 4's back in the 4 month range. It all depends on how it falls in the stack. I've had customers that ordered 2 silencers and they were filed on the same day and came back 2 months apart. Because when they were dropped off witht he auditors one was at the top of the pile and one was at the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts