FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many a gun owner i used the black Friday weekend as an excuse to purchase a new gun safe, which also is my first safe so i was rather excited.

After getting it home and getting it loaded i realized very quickly that it is rather dark inside. when messing around inside i would use an LED drop light to see what i was doing.
Well after some research i decided to fix the problem.
Here is the safe before
safe before.jpg
And here is the after.
safe after.jpg

I used some LED strip lighting and ran it along the edges. The biggest chore was adding an electrical cord to the safe, but even that wasn't much of an issue.
The best part is that the strip lights come with a remote and you can change the colors up to practically whatever you like.

·
Registered
431 Posts
is time of year that Christmas tree lights are cheep and that thin a cord can feed through the door jam of a safe easy. just stuff the base of the lights in between the fire sheet rock at the edges cheep and easy.

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you feed the extension chord inside the safe?

The safe comes with a small hole in the steel at at the back. you have to drill through the sheet rock and fabric but after that you have a pass through.

I used a replacement cord and a replacement female connector. Once the cord was run i attached the female connector and voila!

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Nice job on the LED set-up. It sure beats my flashlight search method.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job on the LED set-up. It sure beats my flashlight search method.
Thanks
the whole set up (power cord, plug and lights) cost about 45 bucks total.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Couple of these worked well for me.

Not my safe but similar setup:

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Congrats on the new safe! Looks great

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
So where and what kind of led strip did u get/ use? Honestly I've been thinking the same thing, as I have led pick lights that run on 3aaa per for 12==== means 26 batteries. I've replaced them 1x, and I don't want to do that again. Mind posting the website and or a pic of the strip lights? Your thoughts and why you choose the kind your using?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So where and what kind of led strip did u get/ use? Honestly I've been thinking the same thing, as I have led pick lights that run on 3aaa per for 12==== means 26 batteries. I've replaced them 1x, and I don't want to do that again. Mind posting the website and or a pic of the strip lights? Your thoughts and why you choose the kind your using?

here is the link to the product on amazon. There seems to be two varieties. A waterproof kind and a non-waterproof kind. i got the non kind because there were bad reviews of the adhesive backing of the waterproof kind.

LEDwholesalers 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller with 44-button Remote and Power Supply, 2034RGB+3315+3215 - Amazon.com

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Just so everyone is aware, you can purchase battery operated LED strip lights, they generally run on AA/AAA batteries and I would suggest using Energizer Lithium Ultimate as they last a VERY long time. You can adhere these with double-sided tape anywhere your needs require. Much better than drilling a hole through fire-rated sheetrock thus degrading its fire rating. Also, if you run a 120vac cord through metal be sure to use a rubber grommet to isolate/insulate the cord from the safe, you would not want the safe to become energized by accident as not all circuit breakers will trip accordingly. One more thing, it is illegal per the National Electrical Code (NEC) to have 120/240vac receptacles or extension cords in a closet containing clothing. If by chance the worst case occurs, Fire Investigators are far smarter than folks think, if you have a fire which burns your house to the ground no Homeowners Insurance Company is obligated to pay if any violations of the NEC are applicable and it's determined the cause of fire was electrical in nature. Do not be the victim of Murphy's Law!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts