FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aspiring Chef Dies After Eating Red-Hot Chili Sauce as a Dare

Monday, September 29, 2008


An aspiring chef died after eating a super-hot chilli sauce as part of an endurance competition with a friend.

Andrew Lee, 33, challenged his girlfriend’s brother to a contest to see who could eat the spiciest sauce that he could create.

The fork-lift truck driver, who wanted to cook for a living, prepared a tomato sauce made with red chillies grown on his father’s allotment. After eating it, however, he suffered intense discomfort and itching. The following morning he was found dead, possibly after suffering a heart attack.

Toxicology tests are being conducted to try to establish if he suffered a reaction to the food.

An inquest was told that Lee, from Edlington, England, was in perfect health and had just passed a medical examination at work. He was a keen cook and would often prepare meals for his parents. It is believed that Mr Lee had never prepared a dish as hot as the one he made the night before his death.

Lee’s sister, Claire Chadbourne, 29, said that he took a jar of the sauce to the home of his girlfriend, Samantha Bailey, and challenged her brother Michael, 29, to see who could eat it. “Andrew just ate the chillies with a plate of Dolmio sauce,” she added. “It was not a proper meal because he had already eaten lamb chops and potato mash after work.

“He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chilli sauce? We don’t know of anything else that could have caused his death. The postmortem showed no heart problems.

“He loved cooking for his friends. He always said he wanted to be a chef but didn’t want to start at the bottom.”

An inquest was opened and adjourned in Doncaster last week.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429473,00.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,907 Posts
Re: Aspiring Chef Dies After Eating Red-Hot Chili Sauce in D

ShipWreck said:

“He apparently got into bed at 2.30am and started scratching all over. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep. She woke up and he had gone. It is incredible. Who would have thought he could have died from eating chilli sauce? We don’t know of anything else that could have caused his death. The postmortem showed no heart problems.
l


Sounds like he a allergic reaction to some thing in the food, Stupid allergies! They can just suddenly appear. Eat shellfish and have no problem then a month later eat it again and before you know it your in the emergency room or morgue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,780 Posts
my boss was on a sales trip and had a severe reaction to mango in a drink. had to go to the emergency room. He had no clue it would bother him.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top