FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having since bought the pistol on the FN name alone, I've always been curious to see how well it actually functioned under fouled conditions, not just carbon build up from a couple hundred rounds. At the start of this, the pistol was very well covered in oil, as I hadn't intended to fire it for a while, and put on a nice thick coating for storage. Oil was seeping out all over the pistol after a few rounds.

Having taken 200 rounds of WWB ammo with me into the woods here in Missouri (very rocky soil), I started out with a normal string of firing. Mostly rapid fire, to see how well the pistol kept on target with a good two hand grip. No malfunctions to report.

After that, I proceeded to fire the pistol one handed, limp wristed, sideways on both sides, and upside down. Still no malfunctions (I was thrilled at this point).

Having been unsatisfied with that, I decided to put my hand halfway down the grip, with only a few fingers on the pistol. The web of my hand was halfway down, and only my trigger finger and two additional fingers gripped (note, except the trigger finger, my middle and ring were at the very bottom of the grip). Malfunctions ahoy. Now, in the FNs defence, the grip tang DID smack the web of my hand, with some force. The malfunctions encountered were merely FTEs. The case was not upright as in a stove pipe, but against the breechface, held by the extractor and the case mouth was wedged partially against the chamber. All malfunctions encountered (this was almost every round after the first three or four) were fixed by cycling the slide, no additional steps were needed.

Lastly, that which I had been meaning to do the whole time. I placed a magazine in the pistol (gun being completely empty, of course), cocked the hammer (to allow more dirt into the mechanism), and put the pistol in a freshly upturned chunk of earth. I then proceeded to kick the pistol around and get it as dirty as I could. No malfunctions to report (two hand grip, but fairly loose as the pistol was hot by now).

Having been still unsatisfied with the filthyness of the gun, I locked the slide open (mag in, empty of course), and proceeded to to repeat the last few steps. After checking the chamber and barel for obstructions (did this the time before also), despite the leaves and dirt all over the breech face and ejector, proceeded to again use a two hand grip, though not entirely tight, to fire off a magazine. No malfunctions to report.

Throught the tests, there was no noticeable degredation in accuracy, though again, it was mostly rapid fire to see if I could hit a two legged target at the specified range.

After all this, the slide is nasty to try and pull back, it's completely dry, and there's some scraping noise. The trigger is difficult, and the single action only occasionally functions if pulled slowly, but not if pulled as though trying to survive.

I've got more faith in this pistol than anything I can think of at this point. I'm going to give it an extremely thorough and well deserved detail strip cleaning.

Any questions are welcome, ask away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the report. I am afraid that I would not be able to subject my FN P9 to that kind of abuse. But I am glad you were able to do it and let us know the reliability of the weapon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda wanted to cry when saw all the nastiness inside the hammer assembly, and the way the slide was all gritty. Rest assured though, it got the cleaning of a lifetime. I sprayed the bejesus out of the hammer assy with carb cleaner, I've never seen that thing so spotless in my life. I also did the same with the slide, at least in the firing pin channel and extractor area. All the other parts were hand cleaned and then covered in a light film of oil. After the parts were put back in, the slide rails, slide, and hammer assy were soaked in oil. Everything on that pistol moves as smooth as butter now, and there is no discernable wear or damage to any parts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Did you happen to see what was causing the single action failures? It wasn't the exterior side of the sear tilting because of increased friction or debris and failing to release the hammer was it?

Was the trigger going all the way to the trigger stop in single action and not releasing the hammer, until you pulled like 20 pounds against the trigger stop?

Just curious because I've seen this sort of malfunction before and am trying to gather data about its cause.

·
Registered
62 Posts
After reading tests like this on the Springfield XD I am really happy to hear of someone taking one for the team (i guess) and doing it to my beloved FNP9-M! And I seriously couldnt be more proud of my FN right now. It makes me feel like I made a good investment for my first gun/carry pistol.

Though I do want to know, liek evopsych, what causes the single action failure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The single action failure was as described, it hit the stop, then took about 20 pounds to release. I can only guess it was from the fact that there was an unspeakable amount of filth in the action at the time. It did release when fired quickly, it was only when depressing the trigger slowly that it became an issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately not, I am both without a digital camera, nor do I currently have the means to upload pics off my phone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
torture test!

Great to see someone test out their pistol. I always do a reasonable torture test on all my guns. I will test out my new FNP9 this week I hope. I will try and get video/pics of the water and dirt test.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you're doing this. I have a new FNP-40 and I don't think that I could bring myself to subject it to those conditions. My impression after only 150 rounds of FMJ and JHP is that the gun is well designed, reliable and accurate. Your torture testing confirms my impression that this is a solid and dependable weapon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts