FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

One of the “under the radar” gun control activities the POTUS has been working on pertains to BATF. Along with getting a White House pick for Director of the agency a couple executive orders were issued for ATF rule changes. You see, the ATF can change many of its rules without having to pass laws through Congress.
41P proposes to make these changes to the National Firearms Act (NFA), which governs possession of items like the ones pictured above:
The Department of Justice is planning to finalize a proposed rule to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. As proposed, the rule would (1) add a definition for the term “responsible person”; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; and (3) modify the requirements regarding the certificate of the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO).
The first two changes are annoying but not horrible. The requirements change to require a CLEO signoff for corporations and trusts, however, is a big change. People who qualify as CLEO are typically elected officials- and a large number of them choose not to sign on any NFA items- so people cannot obtain them. That’s called gun control, ladies and gentlemen. Which of course is exactly what the DOJ and White House want.
The strange thing is that initial speculation was that this rule change would be slammed through in record time- especially with the public comment period ending the week of the anniversarry of the tragedy in Newtown, CT. But the link above indicates that the rule change won’t take effect until June 2014. That leaves people who want to purchase NFA items time to get paperwork filed – GunTrustLawyer is a good place to read up on the process if you are interested.
And for a jaw-dropping rumor (and it’s only a rumor right now)–I ran a cross a claim that a Class 3 (NFA) firearms dealer says his ATF examiner said that the whole rule change is a “No go” and that “nothing has changed, or is expected to“. Wow- if that proves to be true it would be a collossal FAIL for the White House on expanding gun control. I’m tempering my hopes but it’s a very pleasant thought, isn’t it? If you can substantiate this rumor please leave a comment below citing the source.

ATF 41P updates & rumors | kR-15: info and resources for firearms enthusiasts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Although totally too good to be true, it would be awesome if 41P was never implemented or finalized

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
If anything occurs, I believe notification would be required to be sent to the CLEO of the individual's (responsible party on a corp, trust, etc) jurisdiction.

No action would be required on the CLEO's part, as is currently the case with FFL applications.

The fingerprint, citizenship certification, and recent photo requirements are not out of bounds as individuals filing form 1's now do this.

-SS

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
To me it still makes no sense to implement these changes if E-forms are rolling out for Trusts only because they don't accept pics or fingerprints. I still think once you are approved, subsequent approvals should come a lot faster.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If anything occurs, I believe notification would be required to be sent to the CLEO of the individual's (responsible party on a corp, trust, etc) jurisdiction.

No action would be required on the CLEO's part, as is currently the case with FFL applications.

The fingerprint, citizenship certification, and recent photo requirements are not out of bounds as individuals filing form 1's now do this.

-SS
Shouldn't you be asleep, old man?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are rumors going around my area, that the suppressor applications are growing so much, that the ATF is considering changing to a call in like a regular firearm purchase and therefore no more 6 month wait. Supposedly the source of this rumor is from a local suppressor manufacturer. But none of us (my friends and I) can find any evidence of this anywhere. We are all doubtful that this administration would do anything to ease the pain on anything firearm related. Anyone else hear any rumors like this?

Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Who knows with the ATF and NFA firearms. I recently called the ATF's NFA branch to report a gun dealer selling NFA items without a SOT(Selling NFA items illegally) and they refereed me to a Atlanta office, which referred me to another office in Portland, OR to only have them say ok when we have time we will look in to it. I got the very distinct impresson they could "care less". I even had to explain to the ATF agent on the phone what a NFA or Title II weapon was. It would seem like they only are taught about Title I firearms. This ticks me off because when 07 FFL dealer is selling the NFA items it's illegal and makes the whole FFL community look bad. Maybe he gets caught someday and we know the media is going to make huge deal of NFA items. "Why wasn't he caught, why wasn't he blah blah blah" He even has a Facebook page showing him shooting full auto post 86 machine guns. It would seem that it's a waste of time to report criminals to the ATF. I won't be calling them again to report illegal firearm activity if they are going to make me jump through hoops. The best thing to come out of this would me getting my money back.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There are rumors going around my area, that the suppressor applications are growing so much, that the ATF is considering changing to a call in like a regular firearm purchase and therefore no more 6 month wait. Supposedly the source of this rumor is from a local suppressor manufacturer. But none of us (my friends and I) can find any evidence of this anywhere. We are all doubtful that this administration would do anything to ease the pain on anything firearm related. Anyone else hear any rumors like this?

Steve
Unpossible.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Who knows with the ATF and NFA firearms. I recently called the ATF's NFA branch to report a gun dealer selling NFA items without a SOT(Selling NFA items illegally) and they refereed me to a Atlanta office, which referred me to another office in Portland, OR to only have them say ok when we have time we will look in to it. I got the very distinct impresson they could "care less". I even had to explain to the ATF agent on the phone what a NFA or Title II weapon was. It would seem like they only are taught about Title I firearms. This ticks me off because when 07 FFL dealer is selling the NFA items it's illegal and makes the whole FFL community look bad. Maybe he gets caught someday and we know the media is going to make huge deal of NFA items. "Why wasn't he caught, why wasn't he blah blah blah" He even has a Facebook page showing him shooting full auto post 86 machine guns. It would seem that it's a waste of time to report criminals to the ATF. I won't be calling them again to report illegal firearm activity if they are going to make me jump through hoops. The best thing to come out of this would me getting my money back.
The only problem with this guy is if the people he sells to don't know the law (too many asinine laws regarding firearms anyhow). If they do and are participating in civil disobedience, salute to them.

You should question why the law exists in the first place. The same type of people that made the law just voted that it's better to pay illegal immigrants on welfare than provide benefits for military retirees. Hoo-aah...

Pick up the can citizen and turn in your neighbor.

·
Registered
612 Posts

Steve
I heard the exact same thing from my local SOT who said he knows someone in the ATF. But you know how that usually goes...he said/she said. I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any lic. Gun dealer can have NFA items transferred directly to their
lic. With the $200 tax paid on each.
The only thing the SOT does is allow the transfer without the payment
of $200 TAX on each item.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts