FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an idea but was wondering about the legality of it.

Currently I carry my Form 4 , with me while traveling . I'm still going to shrink it down ( a double sided copy ) to the size of my drivers liscense and fold in 1/2, then it will fit easily in my wallet. ( just haven't got their yet.

However.... would it be acceptable to just take a picture of it with my phone and use that digital " photo " copy if I'm ever asked to produce it by an law enforcement officer ? Would that be acceptable ? Sure there are drawbacks, like losing my phone , ect...

What do you guy's think ?

mjk1

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Yes, I would think and "electronic photocopy" would suffice. You could save all documentation & stamp as a .pdf file or .jpeg on your devices and it would be acceptable.

Q: Does the owner of a registered NFA firearm have to have any evidence to show it is registered lawfully to him or her?
Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm in the owner’s name. This document must be kept available for inspection by ATF officers. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the owner when the weapon is being transported.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-firearms.html#owner-evidence

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have them all forms scanned as pdf files on my google drive account. I then use my iPhone to show proof. If I were you though I would maybe keep a copy of your form in the glove box as well. You can never have too much evidence that everything is legal when dealing with super cop's.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The guys who work at my local SOT have pictures of all their Forms on their smartphones. Thought it was a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I have never been asked to show proof ever. legally you do not have to prove anything to anyone unless they are an ATF agent. I would show proof to any cop to avoid a hassle though

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I have never been asked by authorities, but I keep he originals at home in a safe place and carry paper copies in the carrying case. Just to be extra safe I also keep another paper copy in the grip of my SCAR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts