FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that there are some threads around about Jarvis threaded barrels, non-jarvis threaded barrels, and this thread:

http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=12379

Here is what I have going on. I ALREADY own a Gemtech G5 suppressor and figured I might as well purchase a Five-seveN to expand my collection.

Now, I went and got my hands on a Five-seveN at a shop and the G5 fits! When I line up the suppressor correctly with the barrel it appears that the dots on the standard sights can be easily seen. It is close, but it works! THEREFORE, I need a theaded barrel that is somehow going to work with the way my Gemtech G5 suppressor attaches itself to a standard rifle.

So here is where I need help, advice, other ideas.

My approach
IT seems that the G5 is designed for the standard P90 flash hider or the standard M4/M16/AR16 style flash hider like this:

When you place and LOCK such a flash hider in position for the G5 in the suppressor the end looks like this:

Note how that has a pretty pronounced 3/16" deep depth to even get to the threads of the flash hider.

Those are going to need to be some loo..oong threads coming out of the Five-seveN.... and it may look a bit bizzarre. Which causes me to wonder....

Alternative flash hider?
Is there a better flash hider than the one I show above that works with the G-5 push twist connector? Perhaps something that doesn't have such a pronounced relief and leaves the threads OUTSIDE the G5 and ready to attach to the threaded barrel.

Opportunity
It seems to me that there are a LOT of peole with G5 suppressors... and if they were able to attach that G5 with a simple barrel.... would purchase a Five-seveN? Surely I am not the first guy to think through attaching my G5 to a Five-seveN.

Threading
Here is another detail, I know threading gets really complicated. I understand nothing of 1/12 twist or all that..... so I need answers that include all sorts of details on that since I can see myself having a flash hider with one kind of twist and a barrel with another. Ack!

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody has done this? Nobody has attempted to attach a G5 to a Five-seveN?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Ah - got the info - http://www.gem-tech.com/G5.html

In my opinion - too heavy bro. The gun would fire, but it may not unlock properly, since the barrel moves back with the slide. It does not use the Browning type lug, so it is definitely better suited to cans then say Glock.

Still, I think that the G5 is too heavy.

-TH

·
Administrator
12,074 Posts
I suspect that the weight is way way too much. When I was looking for a can for my FiveseveN (I already have the Jarvis barrel - for more than a year now) I spoke with several manufacturers about the FiveseveN and cans. The general concensus is that any can over a weight of around 7 oz. to 8 oz. will cause problems with the cycling of the FiveseveN.

The Gemtech version of the FiveseveN can weighs only 5.2oz.

Alot (wanted to say most - but that may not be true) pistol cans weigh in at less than 10 oz. Thats a pretty good indication of the weight limitations.

Although my can weighs in at 10 oz., I still do not have an adaptor for it to attach to the Jarvis barrel so I can not say for sure whether the weight will become a problem when I do get the adaptor.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,, I even called Gemtech and everyone agreed that it was too heavy for cycling properly..... as I ALREADY knew.....but I already OWN the can....so.....if it only took a few bucks to try it, well then it would be worth it.

It seems that the P90 style connector works the best in the can for a POTENTIAL for attaching to the Five-seveN.

The problem with this is that this female end is actually a LOT larger than the barrel of the Five-seveN. In fact the barrel fits inside the P90 female part without touching the sides.

So you wold likely have to have some kind of "adapter" that would twist onto a threaded Jarvis barrel (or something similar) with threads on the OTHER end that would fit into the female PS90 Bi0-lock attachment. It would need to have a "nut" style center so you could use a tool to attach and detach this thread converter.

Now all that is fine, but your tolerance levels for allignment would need to be perfect though... you wouldn't want a strike inside the suppressor when you fire.

Given that if you DID manage to get a part that would work... you still have the problems with cycling.

I guess that kills the project.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here would be the solution.

Obviously the threading has the opposite twist shown here in this photoshop photo, but you get the idea. The threading would need to attach to a Jarvis or similar barrel. The other end would need to match the threading you find on the end of an short barrel from CMMG, Inc.

Notice how there needs to be a nut in the center so you have some mechanism to easily attach both ends.

Also, this part is a bit long.

Technically I would assume you want it as small as possible yet enough threading on the male and female end to ensure secure attachment. Here is an example of a further modificaiton.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone makes me the missing gold part (In whatever color) I will buy a threaded barrel and give it a shot, litreally!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts