FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any point to buying a FNS 9 over an FNS 9c? I know about the differences in barrel length, sight radius, magazine release, magazines, scaled down takedown lever, difference in sights, etc... but do you really notice a difference in accuracy? This is not a loaded question. I do not own either gun yet, but I was thinking of ordering one tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'd really like to know if anyone has shot both guns extensively and what they think.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally I would agree, but we're talking about a carry gun that can be used as a standard size pistol. I'm just looking to know about the difference in accuracy, regardless of philosophy of use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For concealed carry, my personal preference is a full size frame for better grip and most magazine capacity but with a compact (~ 4") barrel for balance and comfort. I chose the FNS-9 because it was the Glock 17 frame mated to the Glock 19 slide. I carry AIWB for both the gun and spare magazine.

Regarding accuracy, I never noticed any difference up to 75 yards between the 17 and 19, so I doubt there will be much difference between the two FN's.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have the FNS-40 with a Veridian green laser. One of my three dedicated house guns along with my XD40 and my Sig P250. Very accurate or it wouldn't have the job. It won't be going anywhere!

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you are old and far sighted (need readers 2.0 or better) you will likely appreciate the longer sight radius. If you do then it is likely to be more accurate for YOU.
My opinion if you are looking for center mass hits out to 25 feet there likely isn't any difference.
Any variables are likely to be attributed to the individual shooters.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Is there any point to buying a FNS 9 over an FNS 9c? I know about the differences in barrel length, sight radius, magazine release, magazines, scaled down takedown lever, difference in sights, etc... but do you really notice a difference in accuracy? This is not a loaded question. I do not own either gun yet, but I was thinking of ordering one tomorrow or Tuesday, and I'd really like to know if anyone has shot both guns extensively and what they think.
No, there really isn't much difference. I own the 5" model and even between that compact and mine there really isn't there much. Depends on your POU (Philosophy of use)... Thank TNP on YouTube for that. I conceal carry the duty size, 5", and don't have any issues

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both. I shoot the compact better. I don't know if it has slightly less recoil or what. I also have a messed up right index finger/trigger finger. I shoot with my right middle finger so the bigger grip on the standard model doesn't really do anything extra for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I own both. The FNS9 was my first pistol purchase. Chose it for the ambi controls.
Bought the FNS9C when it came out. Carried both. But the 9C is my EDC. Added the FNX45. My FNS9 will go to my son soon. He is 19 so he can OC legally. And if he stays out of trouble I'll pay for his CCH class when he turns 21 unless he is making the big bucks with his music. Then he can afford to pay for his own class. :)
My daughter already wants my FNX45 or the 9C :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have both. I shoot the compact better. I don't know if it has slightly less recoil or what. I also have a messed up right index finger/trigger finger. I shoot with my right middle finger so the bigger grip on the standard model doesn't really do anything extra for me.
BTW, are you left or right eye dominant? I only ask because if you're left-eye dominant, like 1/3 of the population, you might consider switching from right to left-handed. Heck, you may want to even if you're right eye dominant. I switched a few years ago because, after breaking my right wrist, it was marginally more comfortable shooting left-handed. Being left eye dominant, I figured I'd give it a shot and I'm an equally average shot with either hand now. ;) It doesn't hurt to shoot righty, I just prefer shooting lefty as I have more dexterity. In fact, I've been shooting bows, crossbows, rifles and shotguns left-handed for years now and it wasn't hard for me to switch. It's like learning how to drive. It feels weird for a little while before it becomes second nature. That was my experience anyway.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, there really isn't much difference. I own the 5" model and even between that compact and mine there really isn't there much. Depends on your POU (Philosophy of use)... Thank TNP on YouTube for that. I conceal carry the duty size, 5", and don't have any issues

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks. I ended up ordering the compact. BTW, cute picture, but keep your hand off the trigger until your sights are on the target and you've made the decision to fire. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
BTW, are you left or right eye dominant? I only ask because if you're left-eye dominant, like 1/3 of the population, you might consider switching from right to left-handed. Heck, you may want to even if you're right eye dominant. I switched a few years ago because, after breaking my right wrist, it was marginally more comfortable shooting left-handed. Being left eye dominant, I figured I'd give it a shot and I'm an equally average shot with either hand now. ;) It doesn't hurt to shoot righty, I just prefer shooting lefty as I have more dexterity. In fact, I've been shooting bows, crossbows, rifles and shotguns left-handed for years now and it wasn't hard for me to switch. It's like learning how to drive. It feels weird for a little while before it becomes second nature. That was my experience anyway.

You know.... I have no idea what eye is more dominant. I thing my right eye is.

I have shot a little left handed and I was able to shoot ok that way. But I feel more comfortable shooting with my right hand. I really should practice left handed just incase the need ever comes up that I would need to.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Anyone tried putting a full size (or long) upper on the compact frame? Just wondering if it works or if it's not compatible. My dad has a 5" XD with the compact frame, always liked that idea.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my FNS 9c. Never shot the full size but the compact is extremely accurate. It's my fall/winter carry and I'd carry it full time if it was slightly more concealable with light clothes for summer. I honestly consider it an EDC that can also pass for a good range gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts