FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input here. I was drooling on a FS this weekend, I like the idea of shooting off left or right side, the size is great, but what about mags working correctly, stock and part durability. My AUG is a great gun, but don't shoot lefty, and only one optic. looking to part with it to get a FS. Am I insane for considering that? I love my other FN stuff, FAL, FNC, PS90, High power. does the FS live up to its family line?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Buy both......

I like the AUG (note mine is the US MSAR version) and feel it handles better than the FS2000 but mainly b/c I like the forward grip. I could probably get the same feel with a railed foregrip on the FN but haven't done it yet. I like that the FN uses AR mags but that is not too much of an issue. More optic choices with the FN for now. I think both are super reliable and haven't had any issues with either one. Price is about a wash too. Accuracy as well. I just think the AUG points a little better for me. The FN feels like I am pointing a medium sized tuna down range. Good luck either way!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you already own an AUG, keep it and save your money to get the FS2000. Personally, I prefer the FS2000 to the AUG, but the AUG is a great firearm and if I owned one, I would not sell it.

YMMV

·
Registered
95 Posts
BreakerDave said:
If you already own an AUG, keep it and save your money to get the FS2000. Personally, I prefer the FS2000 to the AUG, but the AUG is a great firearm and if I owned one, I would not sell it.

YMMV
Sage advice. I own a FS2000 and like it, but if I owned a genuine AUG I would not part with it to buy another firearm. I'm sure I would live to regret it if I did. Whether or not you would, well, that is up to you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aug or fs

Thanks to all for your input, almost sold the old girl but, you guys are correct. even for a 30+ year old gun it truly was ahead of its time, now to part with the colt and some cash for a FS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have both . Austrian Aug and FS2000 . Both are great but I would take the 2000 if the chips were down. I have heard the new American Augs have had alot of problems with feeding . The owner of that company seems to be an ass . If you do a better buisness search on him , he has alot of negatives . He also fired the only guy in the plant who knew anything about AUGS . The great " Pete Athens from PJ'S " Pete has forgotton more about the Aug than the owner of microtrash will ever know in a lifetime ! :roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
"Fired" can mean many things with the same end result ! Bought out , laid off , released , turned in resegnation , quit etc .... Get the picture? Why would a man with the most knowledge about the Austrian produced AUG no longer work/own at "Knives are us" ? Did he not like what was going on with production ? Did he see shortcuts to what was going on? Does it have anything to do with why the "NEW AND IMPROVED" Augs will not fire a full mag without a FTF ? The Australians and India had some small arms problems when they failed to purchase the "Technical Package" for the non-domestic weapons they chose to make. [ Augs for the Aussie's and the Fal for India] I think this is a clasic case of that . Pete is top notch , I wish I could say the same thing about the company he left ! I wish DSA would jump into the game ! Maybe Pete can help them !

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a refrained from weighing in on this topic in this forum or any other forum. I have an STG from MSAR and have not had one single feeding problem. It has fired every time I pull the trigger with every type of 556 ammo I can put through it - well over 1K now. It is accurate and completely reliable. Trust me, for +$2K, if there was a problem with mine I would be first to mention it.

I dont now Pete personally nor do I have any inside info as to why Pete might have left or was asked to leave. I think it is irresponsible to speculate in a public forum about the nature of Pete's relationship with MSAR unless you are Pete or MSAR.

I am excited about Kent's rifle too and cant wait to see some reviews as I am saving my pennies.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Keep your AUG!

I vote for keeping your Austrian sweetheart...

Save your money for the FS2K. Both are exceptional carbines and are well worth having in your collection.

They all get along just fine in the safe... No nationalistic hostilities so far.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Re: Keep your AUG!

Germanic said:
I vote for keeping your Austrian sweetheart...

Save your money for the FS2K. Both are exceptional carbines and are well worth having in your collection.

They all get along just fine in the safe... No nationalistic hostilities so far.
DAMN nice collection!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks ShipWreck.

Here's another photo with their older siblings:

I'm so glad to see such excellent new products being brought to market from FN. I started my collection back in the days when HK was all the rage. The FAL and FNC were sleepers in those days. There's just something about the sound when you work the action on a Belgian LAR (FAL) that sounds so nice. That's a big reason I never really warmed up to AR15s in the same way. With a FAL, you don't get any "SPROINGGGG" noise as you shoot. It's just cold hard steel riding back 'n forth. The FNC is a very handy carbine that was surprisingly accurate considering its thin profile barrel.

I was pleased to acquire the PS90s and FS2Ks as they are representative of the good ole' days when exotic firearms were available. I love the HKs and Steyrs, but I've always been a Browning/FN guy at heart.

·
Banned
83 Posts
:grin: Both are outstanding rifles....the FS uses M16 mags and has room for accessories.....given a choice and FS wins. I didn't have to decide, got both.

I had a chance to latch onto a new nato lower for the aug and with a little work, my aug uses m16 mags now!

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an over of an AUG A2 for the last five years that took me considerable money and effort to purchase I'd have to say keep the AUG.

My AUG A2 is now a safe queen mostly with the MSAR STG 556 taking its place now and I feel pretty confident that as time goes by the original Steyr AUGs will continue to climb to price. I have seen Steyr Mannlicher AUG A2s going for $5,000.00 easy, which already would give me a nice return on my initial investment.

That's my advice though if you want to cash in and purchase the FS200 with enough money left over to buy other things that is your choice.

Good luck with whatever way you go.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I have 3 Augs and they are arguably my favorites. The FS was comfortable but bulky feeling and I don't care how spares are virtual un-obtanium even compared to hard to find AUG parts.

The AUG is heavier than it looks but balances beautifully so it when shouldered you really don't notice it. Even as almost 35 years has passed no company has come up with a better barrel swap mechanism that Steyr, it is the one all others much be judged by.

Scuba

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just took my AUG out today to send some rounds down range, still a sweet shooter, don't know what I was thinking. so I had to order two more 42rd clips and an extra 30rd. will have to think about parting with my Colt Lwt tricked out with surefire fore end and 3.5ACOG and maybe some cash.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts