FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My name is Chris, and I live in Australia. As some of you may know, we have some strange gun laws here, and we can not own semi automatic rifles (though they let me have a glock 17 - go figure...)

In a nutshell, I think I can get a PS90 if: (a) not semi auto ie (i) its a straight bolt action or (ii) a pump action; and not easily easily converted to semi auto; (b) its over 75cm; and (c) it doesnt look like a 'military style assault weapon'. There is also a ban on any mag over 10rnd - but thats not a problem.

So, I am thinking with one of Critical Dimensions 4.5 inch california buttplates (or similar); the standard 16 inch barrel (which will bring it up to 80+cm total); RLTWs charging handle (or ideally a steyr SSG style bolt knob which can be operated with the left hand) and removing/disengaging the gas system (blowback?) we could get the length and non-semi auto thing happening (and legal).

The military style assault weapon thing is one that customs use to stop us bringing in anything that resembles an ar15 etc. I doubt they would let a proper P90 looking gun into the country. So I dont have to call it an FN, and because I like the design, I would love to base it on the Thompson Machine version, which in my opinion doesnt look nearly as threatening (until optics are added, which I'll do when its in the country).

BTW, I know a bolt version might be being made, but if and when that will happen noone seems to know...

So! Is anyone interested in setting up an Australian Legal PS90 for me? If anyone is, can you please give me a quote on what it will cost, so I can start saving?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
chris said:
So, I am thinking with one of Critical Dimensions 4.5 inch california buttplates (or similar); the standard 16 inch barrel (which will bring it up to 80+cm total); RLTWs charging handle (or ideally a steyr SSG style bolt knob which can be operated with the left hand) and removing/disengaging the gas system (blowback?) we could get the length and non-semi auto thing happening (and legal).
The extension of the buttstock might work, but I do not see how you can "remove" the blowback ability of the gun to make it non semi-auto. U are trying to make it work where U must reload 1 shot at a time? I don't think that is possible, unless U somehow modify the magazine to only take 1 round.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hehe - the point is that its probably the best gun for plinking that you can get in Australia even when its not semi-automatic.

No! I dont want to load 1 round at a time! I want to have to cycle the action manually - ie using a pump/straight bolt action. I want a 10 shot capacity (through a standard p90 mag). I think due to the great layout of the PS90 you could still cycle extremely quickly.

Could you merely disengage the gas system or something? I believe that is what they do for pump action AR15s and pump action AKs.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No, there is no way to disable it. I am sorry. It's not a gas system like an AR or other guns. It's more like the blowback action of a blowback handgun - I guess. I mean, it's not really, but for the purposes of trying to explain WHY you CAN'T disable it - that will suffice.

Honestly, if U were to go to all that trouble, I think there are much better guns. But honestly, I do not see a way to do what U are asking with the design.

Bolt action 5.7 guns should be out later this year here in the states. Not sure when they would be your way.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
chris said:
hehe - the point is that its probably the best gun for plinking that you can get in Australia even when its not semi-automatic.

No! I dont want to load 1 round at a time! I want to have to cycle the action manually - ie using a pump/straight bolt action. I want a 10 shot capacity (through a standard p90 mag). I think due to the great layout of the PS90 you could still cycle extremely quickly.

Could you merely disengage the gas system or something? I believe that is what they do for pump action AR15s and pump action AKs.

Thanks
NOT POSSIBLE. PS90 does not have a gas system, it is a blowback design.

The only way I see this working is to install 50lb springs onto the breach block - that will not allow the bolt to cycle back and chamber another round. Obviously, this design is easily defeated by the removal of the strong spring and replacement with the originals - so I do not see this passing muster with the Queen. Throw another dog on the barbe and suck down Fosters - you will feel better.

Good Luck,

-TH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahaha Thermalator you smart-ass. The phrase is throw another shrimp on the barby - we dont eat dogs. Thats more of a chinese thing.

I guess I will have to wait for the bolt action 5.7 guns. Does anyone have any info on those?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I cant wait for a bolt action 5.7 :!:

Well you can always move.....

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
chris said:
The phrase is throw another shrimp on the barby - we dont eat dogs. Thats more of a chinese thing.
He means "Hot dogs" aka "Beef Franks".

[Comment removed by Admin - there was no bigotry intended and there are cultures that eat dogs. Let's not get out of hand here fellas]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unlucky

Well! Thanks very much for all your help guys!

Oh, and silly me - I should have realised those were hot dogs... We normally BBQ sausages over here - that and kangaroos.

Great site and great forum! Some of your mods are pretty damn sweet guys!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Re: Unlucky

chris said:
Well! Thanks very much for all your help guys!

Oh, and silly me - I should have realised those were hot dogs... We normally BBQ sausages over here - that and kangaroos.

Great site and great forum! Some of your mods are pretty damn sweet guys!
Well, I am sorry that U live in a place where U can't enjoy the PS90. Of course - Reaper (a member here) is getting a fullauto P90 - the real deal. He lives in Switzerland.

All the rest of us here hate him now :lol: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts