FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm new to the 5.7 world I've done a lot of searching, but I'm still unlear about the ammo.. I understand that hte ss195 and 197 are the main 2 rounds that are available to the general public, no problem there.

It appears from a Law Enforcement view that the SS190 would be a better round because it can defeat bad guys wearing body armor (just like a 5.56 round with a 16" barrel, and most rifles do) so is this available to LEO's? Or is it totally off the market? Where can a police agency obtain it if it is available? Is there a better round that SS190 for our LEO's and Military (or U.S. secret service)?

I know that other certain brands or ammo require a letterhead purchase, such as Winchester Ranger ammo, and like the SS190 is legal to own, just restricted by the manufactuer. Is this the case on the SS190?

Oh, and has anyone ever got a hold of any Tracers? Great fun at night!! :-x

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just realized I should have posted this in the Ammo forum, but this was intended for use in a PS90 rifle so..... sorry mods.

I've also found a few answers, and found out this is a Agency Purchase only round and not individual officer on letterhead option.

I don't want to push the SS190 issue since this appears to be taboo since it is "armor piercing" in a pistol, or whatever. Fine by me, I don't want to stir the S*** pot, but this logically lead me to ask this :

How can they sell AR15 pistols that shoot full power 5.56 rounds that are "armor piercing"? (and this is a loose definition of AP, as it really doesn't meet the Armor piercing definition by ATF). I don't get it, what makes the FN round so different? Perhaps because only FN is producing weapons that shoot this round right now? If an AR pistol is available, and much easier and cheaper to obtain than a 5.7 pistol, why is it different?

To me it's not a big deal, if you need a SHTF gun perhaps a PS90 isn't the best gun, it's a good thing too- I really didn't intend on it to be for me!! :D

I suppose if the 5.7 piston didn't exist this would be an easy round to get for the PS90 owners....

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
You can't purchase SS190 anymore from gunshops ect but I believe I occasionally see it for sale on gunbroker. It also is restried b/c it is considered an AP round. I wish I could answer why civilians can't buy ss190 but can buy rounds for the AR platform that are "AP" rounds. I believe I saw some 5.7 tracer rounds at the last gunshow I went to but they were rather expensive.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I hear ya about the AR pistols. But be aware that the Five Seven is a hell of a lot smaller than an AR pistol. SOme people may disagree with me (and have), but I understand why FN has done this. If FN did provide the 190 to the civilian market, the Five Seven would have been banned a long time ago, and we probably would not be holding civilian versions of the PS90 either.

Also be aware that no talk about HOW to aquire the rounds (as a non LEO) will be permitted here on our forum. The same goes for the 198 ammo. We have permitted some comments on the 198 ammo in the past, because itw as an LEO trying to find some (if I remember correctly).

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
Armor piercing ammunition is not unlawfull to posess - on the federal level. States may vary in their laws.

SS190 is Department Letter Head only (LEO/MIL).
SS198LF is LEO/Mil only. No letter head required, just proper ID.

SS195LF and SS197SR are for civies who do not load their own.

Aftermarket producers offer additional rounds not available through FN that outpreform standard ammunition, including the SS198LF.

For my use, I load a 45g Barnes Spitzer which is a solid homogenous copper/zinc alloy machined projectile.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and info, guys.

I had read somewhere that the SS190 was not "armor piercing" by ATF definition, but I guess it is? I'm so confused!!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
ColtM4a3 said:
I had read somewhere that the SS190 was not "armor piercing" by ATF definition, but I guess it is? I'm so confused!!
It is NOT AP by ATF but AP by FNH. Which is why it is only sales restricted by FNH and not restricted by ATF.
Now L191 Tracers on the other hand...Is illegal in certain states that ban TRACERS.
If you are a civilian trying to get a hold of SS190 or L191 3rd party, remember to check your local state's law on this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts