FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What distance do you usually practice with when shooting your handguns?

I do most of my shooting at 7 yards personally.

I don't see how the 25 yard pistol guys do it. I can shoot decently at that range with my P99 if I have to, but still not the groups I get at 7 yards. And any other gun at 25 yards, and I am all over the paper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
ShipWreck said:
What distance do you usually practice with when shooting your handguns?

I do most of my shooting at 7 yards personally.

I don't see how the 25 yard pistol guys do it. I can shoot decently at that range with my P99 if I have to, but still not the groups I get at 7 yards. And any other gun at 25 yards, and I am all over the paper.
Those guys are rich and have *HUGE* rooms in their house. I do most of mine between 7 and 15 yards. :)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I like to practice slow fire at 15 to 25 yards with a hand gun. I'm not saying I'm good at it, but I think it is good practice since you never know if a situation will require a slow well aimed shot further away than you think you will ever have to make.

But I agree that the odds are that if I ever have to bring my carry weapon into play it will be at 3 to 7 yards so I like to practice stress fire at those ranges.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Average: Carry guns 10 yards. 15 or so yards for full size pistols. I practice at all distances though. 25 yards is quite a stretch for a 3" barrel pistol. (At least with me shooting it)

·
Registered
120 Posts
For my carry gun I use the 10 yd lanes at my range. I'd be just as happy with a 7 yd if they had one, tho. Both of those distances are appropriate.

·
Administrator
11,103 Posts
Up to and including 50 yards. The longer the distance though, the greater patience that is needed. That and practice, practice, practice.

Of course it makes it a little easier with a laser because then its just point, illuminate, and shoot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 'range' I use tends to lends it self to 25 yards and greater. I will get frustrated when it takes me 2 trigger pulls to hit a standard clay pigeon. Then I remember I'm doing it at 25 to 30 yards and feel a lot better.

There isn't any indoor range or close range really where I am. But I used to do 7, 10, 15, and 25 when I had access to it. Now I've just gotten used to longer range shots.

FM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts