FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the purchase of a VERY good target gun and have been looking at the CZ SP-01, and even the Tactical Sport.

However, I've also been looking at the Para Ordinance PX189S, the 9mm with the 18+1 capacity.

As I see them, I find the Para to be better looking. The CZ may fit my hand somewhat better, but that is a side note to which one would be a better choice for me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Reports on Paras on the two 1911s websites are always hit or miss. I looked into them about a year ago. I decided to pass.

Get the CZ.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I hear CZ is a pretty stand up weapon :? i'd go for that:)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. Anyone else wanting to chime in would be appreciated.

I posted a new thread in the FNP section of these forums which may cause me to rethink either of these two pistols, however, I'm not ruling them out either.

That's too bad about the Para because it is one sweet looking gun! However, I'd hate to spend a good amount of money on a "trouble causer".

·
Registered
412 Posts
If my only choice was between the Para and the CZ I'd choose the CZ!
Para's are luck of the draw. Some good some bad. But I never shot a bad CZ.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
venison-hunter said:
If my only choice was between the Para and the CZ I'd choose the CZ!
Para's are luck of the draw. Some good some bad. But I never shot a bad CZ.
Well said!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yet another option.

I've been looking at the Tanfoglio Elite Limited as well. Roughly the same price as the Tactical Sport, and are said to be of very good quality (as the CZ). As for appearances, the Elite Limited looks the best out of the three (Elite Limited, Tactical Sport, and Para).

:-?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Please dont flame me but I will throw out another name.....Glock 17L. I've got a buddy with one and it is extremely accurate, rock solid reliable and relatively inexpensive. Its not as pretty as the CZ or the Para but I think its a winner too. Either way, either is a great choice.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
looks arent everything..... go with what you feel comfortable shooting with

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Glock pistols don't point well for me. Thank you for the advice, though.

I believe that the CZ and Tanfoglio are the same design, for the most part, and the one SP-01 that I held felt great in my hand, so with that in mind, I think that any of them should feel equally as nice.

Another possiblility would be to have a "sleeper" built, using a basic SP-01, fitted with better sites, SA trigger and custom hammer. Angus would hook me up with all of that. It could be a better option than the Tactical Sport (with its "out of the box trigger") since the one worked on by Angus would be a true custom. However, that is yet to be seen, as I've heard that the Elite Limited has a very nice trigger.

I guess this question should be an "Elite Limited vs. Tactical Sport" question.

The Tactical Sport holds 2 more rounds and comes with 3 magazines.
The Elite Limited only ships with 1 magazine, created the adding cost of at least 2 more magazines. But comes with an adjustable rear site.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Between a Para and a CZ, I'd get the CZ. But I'm really not a big fan of either.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I'm after a HIGH capacity 9mm with a metal frame and don't want to bust my bank account on what I know is out there. . . . . .like from Sig. Having said that, devildoc, what would be YOUR suggestion?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well I was going to suggest the Sig P229 ($750-$825)but if price is a problem then maybe the SIG P250($525-$689), however what I don't like about the P250 is it's DAO only, which I don't like.

Now if you truely want HIGH capacity 9MM pistol that is a straight shooter and dont mind a poly frame, the get a Glock 34.

In the end its more about what you want than anything else. As I said before if you personaly have desided that it is between the Para and CZ and thats it, then IMO the CZ is the better gun.

Hoo Yah.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
You mentioned that the CZ "felt" a little better to you but it wasn't really that important. Just my 2 cents, but that would be important to me when choosing a target gun.

I'm biased toward the CZ because I have one of Hobdell's SP-01's, so I have to vote for it. The sights are excellent. I truelly love the trigger and the grip fits my hand very well. The 19+1 capacity is great.

You mentioned SIG's were too high, so I'm guessing that you want to spend 4 to 5 hundred? In that case, I may suggest this...

Buy a stock SP-01.
Write Angus and request a list of custom parts, prices, and any advice/instructions he may be willing to give to you so that you can do the work yourself. Buy the parts as you can afford them. This way you can enjoy the gun while you gather custom parts.

You keep the price down, you learn skills to work on the gun that will pay off other places, and you can "tweak" it over time to get it just the way you want it. THAT is custom. :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, when I mention the name "Sig", in terms of being "too expensive", I was actually talking about the P226 X-FIVE. I figured that it was the "target pistol" from Sig. I see that the P226 SCT would be roughly the same price as a Tactical Sport. Would you call this a better shooting gun? How is it in reliability, accuracy, and felt recoil?

What about the polymer framed SP2022. . . . same questions. Only problem with that gun is that it only has a 15 round capacity.

As for the SP-01, I have been on Angus's site and know that I would have to get a custom hammer, a SA trigger, and probably a variety of springs (since I'll be shooting WWB), and maybe even a set of Coco Bolo grips. Sort of the "poor man's Custom".

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ShipWreck, the idea of this gun would be one that would do "pin point shooting", and do well out at longer distances (25-50 yards). I see the P99 as more of a carry weapon, not a target pistol. :-?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Well, I shoot my P99 the best out of any gun. That's just me, personally.

1 time, I shot at about 30 yards, and was making hits on the sihloette. For me, as 1 of my hands aren't that steady due to a childhood injury - that's damn good. I can't do that with any other handgun.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts