FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really hate to put someone through the mud, but I'd rather see others not make the same $1375 mistake as I did.

Back ground story.

Paid for a Surefire suppressor through James Elmazi/SgtStrykerUSMC43 in July. Back then he had a business partner, Marty Rine, who handled the class 3 transfers. Unknown to us at the time, James and Marty were in the process of separating their business relationship and during this shuffle, some of the transfers were not completed in a timely manner. No biggie since James cashed my personal check, I figured he was in possession of the item.

Fast forward to October, James reaches out to me and ask me to reach out to Marty to see where the suppressor is to push the paperwork along to my FFL. I get ahold of Marty and he explains to me the same business relationship story that James did the day prior. The story goes like this, "Marty and I broke up. He has possession of the suppressor and he stiffed me with a few bills and since he has your money and suppressor, he needs to transfer the suppressor." Ok, no big deal since James at the time seemed like a stand up guy with the other parts I bought off him before.

Fast forward to today - So I decide to call the NFA today to see the status of transfer. I find out it was approved in late Nov. which made me think about calling Marty and my local FFL to see who is in physical possession of my suppressor. Needless to say, Marty died earlier this year and now his father is handling the aftermath. After a 30 min conversation about Marty and James' business dealings, I don't know who believe with both sides of the pointing the finger at each other.

My question is what options do I have here? It's tough to go after a dead guy (Marty), although maybe his estate is still open for debtors to make their claims. I haven't been able to reach out to James via phone but I don't think he'll buck up to send me my money or my suppressor. I've already filed a claim with the Illinois Attorney General but as we all know nothing will probably come of the complaint. Any suggestions?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section but I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.

- John

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
John Tran...

You have a civil matter that needs to be resolved with Marty, Marty's father (James Rine), and the other principal on the TTS license, Ricardo Rocha.

I told you explicitly through email on October 31, 2013 that Marty had removed me from the TTS license and to contact him from that point forward.

I did what I was supposed to do - ordered your suppressor, paid for it, and Marty should have shipped it. If Marty did not ship it, his father, James Rine should ship it to A1 Tactical Ordnance.

Bad deal? With me? No way.

-SS

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I really hate to put someone through the mud, but I'd rather see others not make the same $1375 mistake as I did.

Back ground story.

Paid for a Surefire suppressor through James Elmazi/SgtStrykerUSMC43 in July. Back then he had a business partner, Marty Rine, who handled the class 3 transfers. Unknown to us at the time, James and Marty were in the process of separating their business relationship and during this shuffle, some of the transfers were not completed in a timely manner. No biggie since James cashed my personal check, I figured he was in possession of the item.

Fast forward to October, James reaches out to me and ask me to reach out to Marty to see where the suppressor is to push the paperwork along to my FFL. I get ahold of Marty and he explains to me the same business relationship story that James did the day prior. The story goes like this, "Marty and I broke up. He has possession of the suppressor and he stiffed me with a few bills and since he has your money and suppressor, he needs to transfer the suppressor." Ok, no big deal since James at the time seemed like a stand up guy with the other parts I bought off him before.

Fast forward to today - So I decide to call the NFA today to see the status of transfer. I find out it was approved in late Nov. which made me think about calling Marty and my local FFL to see who is in physical possession of my suppressor. Needless to say, Marty died earlier this year and now his father is handling the aftermath. After a 30 min conversation about Marty and James' business dealings, I don't know who believe with both sides of the pointing the finger at each other.

My question is what options do I have here? It's tough to go after a dead guy (Marty), although maybe his estate is still open for debtors to make their claims. I haven't been able to reach out to James via phone but I don't think he'll buck up to send me my money or my suppressor. I've already filed a claim with the Illinois Attorney General but as we all know nothing will probably come of the complaint. Any suggestions?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section but I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.

- John
Bad deal all around, seems Sarge did his part and is stuck in the middle of a bad transaction.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
One last thing, I saw your email and tried to call you at the number you listed in your email. You did not answer, for obvious reasons. As you took to the forum instead.

FYI, not only did you get burned by Marty, I got burned out of monies on 2 post-May FN machine guns and 5 suppressors.

James Rine needs to put your suppressor and the approved form 3 in a box and ship it to A1.

-SS

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
James, I do apologize for not answering my phone as I was on another call.

However, in regards to this matter, I don't know who in this story is right or wrong, nor do I care. With as much finger pointing as everyone has done it's quite nauseating to hear. I will do as you suggest and file a civil suit against Marty (or his estate if possible) and this also will include Stryker Ent to make sure that all parties involved are included in the suit. It would be nice to completely wash your hands clean from a business breakup by saying your business partner screwed you but in this case the dispute has to be resolved for the sake of this and other transfers affected by this incident.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just my two cents, but in regards to the titling of the thread, did I not write my check to you personally? If you accepted my funds (which you did) even though you were acting under Marty's license, it's my belief that you bear the responsibility of this sale. Opinions of that belief can be debated, but that's my justification for the title.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Stryker Enterprises LLC did not exist. Your suit needs to list TTS/Ricardo Rocha/James Rine, as those individuals are responsible parties on the TTS license.

I cannot force James Rine to put your suppressor in a box and ship it. It would be illegal for me to attempt to touch your merchandise.

I was an "employee" for TTS/Marty Rine as Marty referred to me as such. I was removed (fired, kicked off, tossed out... whatever). From that point forward, your complaint is not with me. It's with TTS.

-SS

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Just my two cents, but in regards to the titling of the thread, did I not write my check to you personally? If you accepted my funds (which you did) even though you were acting under Marty's license, it's my belief that you bear the responsibility of this sale. Opinions of that belief can be debated, but that's my justification for the title.
Blame me because knucklehead Marty was too lazy to set up an account in TTS's name? I don't think so.

-SS

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
John,

Ask one question of James Rine: Why is James Rine refusing to ship your suppressor to A1 Tactical Ordnance?

The form 3 was approved (according to NFA branch), so why doesn't James Rine ship your suppressor? You have the serial number. Demand he put it in a box and ship it!

-SS

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Why will the TTS not ship your suppressor, sounds like it was paid for and the form was filled for transfer and approved.

A form 3 would not have been filled unless they (TTS) intended to ship it.

if there is a bad deal/break up between Stryker and TTS that's between them and not you. Sounds like TTS members are holding your suppressor out of spite and that has noting to do with you.

I'd demand TTS ships it now and settle their sh!t between them, leaving you out of it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quick question to the OP: Did you try to make contact with TTS or the ATF between now and Nov, or did you just assume everything was fine in the midst of the break-up?

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
http://fnforum.net/forums/sbr-suppressors-nfa-items/54732-heads-up.html

In case anybody was wondering... Those suppressors Marty listed for sale on Tom Bowers Board before he decided to go down for the dirt nap by way of "pain killers" were paid for by you guess it... me. Not much I could do about it back then and certainly not now.

Do I feel bad for him? No. Did I instruct customers to pursue their transfers vigorously? YES.

Hi James,

Please give me a call when you get a chance - 570-XXX-XXXX

- John

On Nov 2, 2013, at 2:45 PM, James Elmazi wrote:

Keep calling all the numbers I listed and there's no need for you to be polite. It's your suppressor and demand he returns your call.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 2, 2013, at 12:38 PM, John Tran <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi James,

I have reached out to Marty but I haven't heard from him. Since it has taken so long, do you think he would issue a refund for the item? It sucks that he doesn't deliver the same customer service you do.

- John

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a supplier in another industry, I've been through similar business dealings and one thing I've learned is, even though it's really not my responsibility, as I did my part in a sale that went south, if MY NAME is involved, sometimes it's better to eat a little merchandise, than to have my name sullied... Just a thought... And I truly apologize to anyone who is really named Sullie...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As a supplier in another industry, I've been through similar business dealings and one thing I've learned is, even though it's really not my responsibility, as I did my part in a sale that went south, if MY NAME is involved, sometimes it's better to eat a little merchandise, than to have my name sullied... Just a thought... And I truly apologize to anyone who is really named Sullie...

Yes, but, this is an area where I am a bit clueless and so maybe this is just my naivete but: can Stryker simply eat a little merchandise in this case?? We're not talking about some run of the mill spare parts. We're talking about a heavily regulated item.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
"Stryker" isn't going to eat anything.

I fulfilled my obligation to the customer as an "employee" of TTS. Now it is up to the customer to contact the IL State Police and send them over to:

11275 Havenswood Rd
Roscoe Il 61073

Since Marty is now fertilizer, I would imagine BATFE is moving forward on terminating the TTS license if they haven't already done so. If the license is no longer valid, that would mean James Rine is in violation of ILCS as well as the NFA and would be subject to arrest.

-SS

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

I fulfilled my obligation to the customer as an "employee" of TTS. Now it is up to the customer to contact the IL State Police and send them over to:

11275 Havenswood Rd
Roscoe Il 61073

Since Marty is now fertilizer, I would imagine BATFE is moving forward on terminating the TTS license if they haven't already done so. If the license is no longer valid, that would mean James Rine is in violation of ILCS as well as the NFA and would be subject to arrest.

-SS
Sorry: Sgt. Stryker. Stupid Android keypad.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

11275 Havenswood Rd
Roscoe Il 61073

-SS
Let me be clear: not saying you should either. I simply question whether it is even legally possible.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.