FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my opinion, this incident could have been handled entirely different, instead an individual's life was lost and due to what? Bad police work! Overzealous, rookie police work! First shot to death, then 3 bean bag shots, then to send a K-9 on the dying man, and I have to ask what in the hell is going on in this country of ours?

Watch the head cam video - really? This is what it takes to take down 1 subject who was turning is back to run. Jesus! It really makes you wonder what their teaching in the academy!!!! I hope the two officers that fired upon the individual, feel proud, real proud! I can smell a letter of accommodation coming! Outstanding work men!

» Shock Video: Albuquerque Cops Open Fire on Man for Illegally Camping Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
In my opinion, this incident could have been handled entirely different, instead an individual's life was lost and due to what? Bad police work! Overzealous, rookie police work! First shot to death, then 3 bean bag shots, then to send a K-9 on the dying man, and I have to ask what in the hell is going on in this country of ours?

Watch the head cam video - really? This is what it takes to take down 1 subject who was turning is back to run. Jesus! It really makes you wonder what their teaching in the academy!!!! I hope the two officers that fired upon the individual, feel proud, real proud! I can smell a letter of accommodation coming! Outstanding work men!

» Shock Video: Albuquerque Cops Open Fire on Man for Illegally Camping Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I saw this--- what is terrible to the extent these cops have to shoot at a man who is "camping/squatting" when can we get some accountability on these highly militarized pd's?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
That's f'd. That could've been handled differently. 5 or more guys armed with assault rifles and shotguns that far away from the guy could've resolved that differently.

Reactions: Donnie

·
Registered
60 Posts
WAAAAY, more to this than what you are reading.

This footage has been on our local news EVERY night. The camper was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. He has a VERY lengthy police record of attacking cops. He was a physical threat to civilians in our downtown area for years. This "camper/squatter" was an extremely dangerous person!!!!

My point -- there is ALWAYS more to the story.

That all said, you would hope and pray that our local APD could get the job done without killing another person. It happens quite a bit here. Not good!!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Maybe he should have been in prison. According to reports he was a repeat offender and dangerous.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@PSYOPS - I have over 20 plus years on the streets and K-9. This subject might have been a danger to himself and others! But this was handled WRONG! Each of the officers in my own opinion were cowards! To use an AR, then bean bags and then sending in a K9 after the subject was down and unresponsive? Give me a Fu*&%n Break!

The subject was turning to run... At this time, send in the K-9 and move in on the subject. If he pulled a weapon at that time, then take lethal action, but to fire upon the subject when you are in great distance, when there isn't 1 single officer even close enough to being harmed, ... Really messed up, sloppy police ethics!

I was not there. But I did see the video. A picture paints a thousands words, but a video paints a million! Oh and I loved the audio! And if you know the officers send them here... I'd love them to read what I have to state about them and their work!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
The excuse here seems to be that the flashbang dissoriented him and he didn't know which way he was running with the knives he pulled? he appears to be running away and thats what matters in the end. This crap doesn't add up to me. No matter which angle I look at it from the LE had no cause to shoot the guy and certainly no cause to shoot the guy and sick the dog on him when he was down with bullet holes in him. Seems completely incapacitated to me.

Reactions: Kipp and bravo2zero

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@KameronTKelly - You are 100% correct! I feel horrible for the individual. Listen to the audio a few times, you can hear the subject right before his death and the officers cowardly acts. Yes, if anyone here ask, yes I am pissed, because the little guy died because a group of thugs couldn't handle one man with a knife at 10-15-20ft away.

Where were the bean bags prior to the AR shooting? Looks like they turned this one upside down and screwed everything up! Rookies! No one even tried CPR to even attempt to revive and get urgent medical care. He was down, dead, lifeless and being cuffed. Like a wild bore!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
According to the report he died in the hospital the next day. Either way he was down with GSWs and I don't see the point of shooting him with three beanbags and sicking a dog on him. "He wouldn't drop the knife" doesnt cut it. When the body takes massive trauma like that certain parts of it stop working. I would love to say we are all just armchair quarter backing here and we don't know because we weren't there but its pretty damned clear what happened in the video. The two officers shot him because the K9 Unit was in danger? He put himself there. He could have stood back at a distance but he rushed in. When are these kinds of officers going to cross the boundary between doing this to dangerous individuals to regular folks? They already have look at the other report we got in here a few weeks ago. Where the Hispanic male died in the hospital after the domestic disturbance call and the overly rough arrest by 5 officers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@IGC224 - Well... I worked 20 plus years in the roughest gang infested zones in America. So, I will speak from experience. I disagree with you! The K9 officer was not in direct physical harm. The K9 dog was, but hate to tell you, that you can not take a life over the K-9. I know, take a look at the avatar, been there done that!

I've handled my fair share too and have two BULLET holes to prove it! This was not handled right! We can get into a pissing contest if you want. But fact is I wasn't there. But the video displays a weak minded subject. He could have been taken down without lethal force. What ever happened to the tazer being implemented?

K-9 never was forced on the subject until he was SHOT! Bean bags were used upon the subject being shot, down and unresponsive then the actual K-9 being released on a lifeless man. You call these guys heroes? I call them something else! How would you feel if this was your brother, father, someone you loved? Think about it!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Another thing. If a group of five civilians acted in this way and it was caught on video... Do you think the aftermath would have turned out the same way? Self defense is self defense. Response to deadly force should be looked at the same coming from LE or civilian.

We all know that it would have turned into an Anti Gun nuclear weapon the media would have gladly launched at us civilians.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It appears the guy that died was a real loser as well as having mental health issues. But that doesn't mean he should be dead. The guy was on top of a rocky/ hill mountain. If he had tried and rushed them at any point he probably would have fallen down. But yes, even in that environment, I'm aware of the 21 foot rule. But A couple more flash bangs and a ****ing fire extinguisher (or a damn taser) could have ended this without any shots being fired. The guy had knives so he was a threat. Even a deadly one. But this could have been handled so much better.

The K-9 officer appears to have put himself in harms way. By running in front of the other officers to corral his dog.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My professional opinion is this incident could of been handled better. Force Science will tell you a person with a knife is a danger and the 21 foot rule was for a well trained officer (not the average officer). However, these officers should of kept their distance. They didn't even wait for the less lethal actions to be taken. I do know I would use lethal force if he posed an imminent threat over less lethal. Then again, I wouldn't approach him either unless it was absolutely necessary.

I understand his mental illness and past violent behavior makes it hard to negotiate with him. I'm not so sure he was going to run. They were telling him to get on the ground. He turned and looked at the ground as if looking for a place to get down. Of course your going to start running when rounds are hitting you in the **s while being stunned.

Deadly force can be used on a fleeing felon if there is probable cause to believe he has committed a felony involving the infliction or threatened infliction of serious physical injury or death AND his escape would pose an IMMINENT danger or serious physical injury to the officer or another person.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
“Boyd was arguing with police for more [than] three hours last Sunday in the foothills after officers went to talk to him about illegally camping in open space,”

LE tries to get him to come peacfully

“Don’t change up the agreement,” Boyd says. “I’m going to try to walk with you.”

Boyd picks up his belongings and appears ready to walk down toward officers. An officer fires a flash-bang device, which disorients Boyd.
Boyd appears to pull out knives in both hands as an officer with a dog approaches him. He makes a threatening motion toward the officer, then starts to turn around away from police.
That’s when shots ring out, and Boyd hits the ground. Blood can be seen on the rocks behind him.
After being rendered motionless, and even though the man can be heard moaning, “Please don’t hurt me,” and, “I can’t move,” APD officers proceed to fire beanbag rounds at Boyd, and sic their canine on him before stepping on his hand in alleged efforts to make him release a knife prior to handcuffing him.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I believe the terrain has a lot to do with the situation. That is - where in the hell was this guy going to go? Were they expecting him to leap 15 feet down the side of the hill and stab someone? Imminent threat? If they would have hit him with a taser cartridge or two (or three if it took that many) he would have fallen. Folks can't even remain standing on flat ground after being hit with a taser.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe the terrain has a lot to do with the situation. That is - where in the hell was this guy going to go? Were they expecting him to leap 15 feet down the side of the hill and stab someone? Imminent threat? If they would have hit him with a taser cartridge or two (or three if it took that many) he would have fallen. Folks can't even remain standing on flat ground after being hit with a taser.
I saw the video how you wrote it in post 16 as well. I'm not a cop hater. Far from it. Cops have a dangerous and often thankless job. And I still believe the guy was a threat. Imminent or otherwise. But, while I'm Monday morning quarterbacking it. It appears that the cops caused this situation to turn out like it did.

I mean Jesus. If they keep a "safe distance". Then threw in a couple more flashbangs than they did. Then have a couple cops taser him the damn incident would have PROBABLY ended. Sure you can't be sure if he was playing possum. Or know exactly how many times they shot him. But at close range they fired off 6 rounds from rifles and he fell. He's pleading and say saying don't hurt me and he can't move. So they decide that hitting him with three bean bags and then sending the dog in after all of this? Really?

I'm not a cop. But this could have been handled by a couple of them with rubber bullets in their guns or something else less lethal like above.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree. I've seen tasers work on people with knives in the past. Although not recommended in most situations. I don't understand why departments hire officers that were fired from previous police departments. I've also seen bad things come from that practice as well. Even when recommendations are given to the chief to not hire the person. Even though this guy was not well liked, he didn't deserve to die like this. The time factor doesn't matter, so what if took a few more hours. Try working on communication skills. These guys reflect poorly on all of us.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Police are still waiting on a medical investigator to determine Boyd’s precise cause of death
I think it was the dog bite... :-x

I'm baffled as to why they shot him with bean bags and sent the dog on him after he was clearly down and unable to move. And it sure looks like he has a few entry wounds in his back.

Judicious use of a tazer looked to be more appropriate, although it appeared his clothes were pretty thick and may have prevented it from effectively working.

Either way, I agree that situation was massively mishandled.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts