FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Special thanks to J.K. for sponsoring this test in full.

Cartridge : 5.7x28mm FN SS195 lead free FMJ (Part # 10700013)

Firearm : FN PS90 rifle (16.1" barrel length) and FN 5.7 handgun (4.8" barrel length), as indicated

Block calibration : 9.1cm @ 591 ft/sec

Shot 1 - Fired by PS90. Impacted at 2157 ft/sec, penetrated nose-forward to 2.1" depth, at which point the bullet tumbled and partially spit the core out of the jacket. Final penetration depth was 7.6" and recovered weight was 28.1gr.

Shot 2 - Fired by 5.7 pistol. Impacted at 1969 ft/sec, penetrated nose-forward to 3.8" depth, at which point the bullet tumbled and spit the core section out of the jacket. The core material penetrated to 7.9" and the maximum penetration depth was 9.7". Bullet recovered at 27.6gr weight.

At this point, the test setup was altered. At the request of the test's sponsor, the potential liability of the tested bullets in the case of an overpenetration of the target in an interior room was assessed. This was accomplished by the cutting of the gelatin block into two 8"x6"x6" blocks, placing one piece at a linear distance of 4" from the face of the FBI 'interior wall' test fixture (two pieces of 0.5" wallboard, on a 2x4 frame), while placing the other block 4" back from the rearmost wallboard panel. This setup is illustrated by the attached photograph of the test setup.

Block calibration for this event was 10.5cm @ 590 ft/sec.

Shot 3 - Fired by PS90. Impacted at 2153 ft/sec, penetrated to 8.0", exited the back of the gelatin block and the jacket section was recovered after through-penetration of both interior wall panels. Bullet fragments did not penetrate the gelatin block. Core section was spit and was not recovered.

Shot 4 - Fired by 5.7 pistol. Impacted at 1983 ft/sec, bullet was not recovered, but by inspection of the wallboard directly behind the block, no part of the bullet penetrated the rearmost drywall panel.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!!

I'm a little surprised the core came out in both instances

..the results aren't as impressive as the one other 5.7x28mm gel test I saw pictures of- I think it was ss190

again thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Like I posted over on THR. I would like to see testing done with the SS197. I have always believed the 196/197 projectiles to be better for self defense. The 195 passing through the wall board re-enforces that belief.

·
Registered
569 Posts
commander zippy said:
Like I posted over on THR. I would like to see testing done with the SS197. I have always believed the 196/197 projectiles to be better for self defense. The 195 passing through the wall board re-enforces that belief.
+1. I prefer the heavier bullet designed to fragment/expand on impact to increase vascular damage and bleedout rate. IIRC another ballistic geletin test showed 197 penetrating further than 195 (out of the FN57, I think).
Tomac

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I saw one in a magazine for the 197 - it was in some sort of bullet tube test. It didn't penetrate that far out of the PS90, but it made a hell of a wound cavity.

But yea, I'd like to see a geletin tests here on the 197 too.

·
Registered
980 Posts
commander zippy said:
When I get time I am going to order some of that new "bullet tube" test media and give it a spin.
can't wait to see your results! I've been thinking of doing the same. In fact, tell me what 5.7 x28 round and weapon you will be testing, so I don't do the same one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It will all USG fired.

I am going to do the 195 and 197 just as a baseline. The rest will be our product line so I can post the pics of the results side-by-side on our website. our standard version comparable to the SS197 is 400fps faster and we have a +P and +P+ version as well. I am looking foreward to verifing what kind of damage it does since it will be traveling to within a 100fps of what the SS197 does from a PS90.

·
Registered
569 Posts
commander zippy said:
It will all USG fired.

I am going to do the 195 and 197 just as a baseline. The rest will be our product line so I can post the pics of the results side-by-side on our website. our standard version comparable to the SS197 is 400fps faster and we have a +P and +P+ version as well. I am looking foreward to verifing what kind of damage it does since it will be traveling to within a 100fps of what the SS197 does from a PS90.
I am most definitely looking forward to seeing this! :eek:
Tomac

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I thought the 5.7 was designed to not over penatrate?
Looking at picture #3, that isn't the case... :?

·
Registered
980 Posts
tqtran said:
I thought the 5.7 was designed to not over penatrate?
Looking at picture #3, that isn't the case... :?
I think I read somewhere that stopping short of 12 inches in ballistic gelatin is considered not over penetrating.

Looking at these pics I don't think ss195 would go all the way through a human torso.

also, I'm no doctor, but it doesn't look like the block on the other side of the wall is going to die.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
but for an urban enviorment, you don't want to shoot through walls and have to worry about the bullet.

·
Registered
980 Posts
tqtran said:
but for an urban enviorment, you don't want to shoot through walls and have to worry about the bullet.
True. But I don't think you will find many rounds that will be stopped by two pieces of drywall.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cinterd (powderd metal) projectyles won't and we have have at least one loading using that type of bullet.

Again although technicaly not over penatrating SS195, this is the reason for general self defense (not LEO, Military etc.) I have always believed the fragmenting rounds are best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry - the third picture is meant to illustrate the general setup that was used for the overpenetration shots. The bullets pictured are actually .357SIG bullets...!

JE223

1 - 16 of 16 Posts