FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love everything about my FNS, size, ergos, accuracy, looks etc. There is one thing that slightly concerns me though. Comparing the barrel to other similar pistols, it is super thin! I know the barrel is cold hammer forged, but this is a slight concern. I am worried about it heating up to fast, and barrel life. Anyone else share my worry?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got 5000 rds through and early fns 9... reloads standard stuff and some +P. no issues yet

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm a barrel freak myself, and wish it was a little heavier in the fns, but it seems fine so far. I would like to throw this out there, the Beretta Storm has a VERY nice thick forged barrel...I love that barrel. But since it would lock up easily with the tiniest amount of dirt on it, I sold it. Twas ashamed they put an unworthy rotating bolt in it...Gees they tout it passed the military testing...it didn't pass mine ! I'll take the fns with the thinner barrel any day ! But that barrel, unmatched by any other maker in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
No concerns here. You can get them pretty hot, but I don't think you'll be able to damage it from rapid fire. It's not a full-auto or SMG and the bullets are traveling slow compared to rifles (which helps extend barrel life). I honestly doubt anyone will ever shoot out one of these barrels (or any pistol barrels for that matter). Maybe if you put 100,000+ rounds through it.

And the one case I've seen with a squib load and another round being fired on the block barrel (in an FNP, but same thickness of barrel), the barrel just bulged and didn't even split, which is better than some barrels from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Is the barrel the same on the FNP/FNX's? It just struck my buddy and I as odd.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Yeah, they're all the same thickness

·
Registered
179 Posts
If FNH can do anything it is build serious barrels. Check out the mg's and stuff that they have. Bad _ _ _ stuff with hard use of continuous fire. There chf work is pretty amazing. I am the least bit concerned, and I liked the fact that it shaves some weight also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Metallugically speaking, cold-forging provides a superior barrel, and I'm honestly surprised more major manufacturers don't do it. The reason they don't comes down to (of course) cost; cold forging produces a cheaper (economically speaking, quality is in fact superior) barrel than the traditional hot-forging process, but that cost savings comes in the long run, not immediately. In fact, the money that FN Herstal has invested in their barrel production facilities is mind-bogglingly astronomical...the "break-even" period for said equipment had to be not months but (most likely several) years into the future.

So why cold forge instead of the traditional heat-and-beat or die-cast method we all immediately think of when we think of working steel?

1. Minimal Thermal Expansion - Everyone knows that metal expands as it is heated and retracts as it cools. Cold-forging minimizes machining processes on the manufacturing side of things, producing an extremely uniform barrel each time since tolerances aren't changing as the hot metal cools. This goes not only for the barrel interior, but the barrel as a whole; if you order a new FN factory barrel, your likelihood of getting another barrel almost exactly like the one you are replacing is much higher with FN than with any manufacturer that uses a traditional forging/machining process.

2. Rigidity - Cold forging provides less alignment of the crystalline structure of steel, making it more rigid and less flexible. This also translates into more strength with less metal (in a traditional manufacturing process, finishing equipment is typically made from cold-forged steel, since it is harder than the steel being finished; don't ask me what FN uses to finish cold-forged steel, because I have absolutely no idea!)

For more info, see the link below featuring a beginner/layman's outline on the differences between hot and cold forging:
Hot Forging Vs. Cold Forging

Hopefully this explains it somewhat for those who have ever wondered...I know I did, so I researched it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's the support thickness around the chamber that counts. That's where pressures are the highest. As the bullet moves down the barrel, the volume for the gasses to expand increases and the pressure decreases. Check the thickness of a 10 ga barrel and then look at the chamber wall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts